Towards a resolution in Israel and Palestine

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
AlexanderS

Re: Towards a resolution in Israel and Palestine

Post by AlexanderS »

Malcolm wrote:
Will wrote:While I have no sympathy for and am hostile to the Jihadists, the choice of a homeland by the Jews is odd. They had other offers and there was even a small counter-Zionist group working for a non-Jerusalem centered nation.

It is curious that Islam has sacred turf - Mecca - as do the Jews of Israel. Revering a sacred site is normal in all religions, but Buddhists have not, for example, made the Bodhi Tree into a site for nation building.

The priority of sacred dirt for the two groups, to the point of armed conflict, is sad and ridiculous. So I see no peaceful resolution at all - for now and the next century - at least.

Ever, that place is going to be the the site of the first use of nuclear weapons since WWII, you mark my words. It's all going down in flames.
What place will be nuked? Mecca, Jerusalem or Bodhgaya?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

AlexanderS wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Will wrote:While I have no sympathy for and am hostile to the Jihadists, the choice of a homeland by the Jews is odd. They had other offers and there was even a small counter-Zionist group working for a non-Jerusalem centered nation.

It is curious that Islam has sacred turf - Mecca - as do the Jews of Israel. Revering a sacred site is normal in all religions, but Buddhists have not, for example, made the Bodhi Tree into a site for nation building.

The priority of sacred dirt for the two groups, to the point of armed conflict, is sad and ridiculous. So I see no peaceful resolution at all - for now and the next century - at least.

Ever, that place is going to be the the site of the first use of nuclear weapons since WWII, you mark my words. It's all going down in flames.
What place will be nuked? Mecca, Jerusalem or Bodhgaya?
Jerusalem.
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

What makes you say that?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

NYC or Washington DC are more likely targets. America has been doing much more than killing a few Palestinians. Good luck protecting port cities.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

AlexanderS wrote:What makes you say that?

It is the most sacred place to all three religions, ergo, it is the one that will most likely be the object of a terrorist attack.
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

Malcolm wrote:

It is the most sacred place to all three religions, ergo, it is the one that will most likely be the object of a terrorist attack.
For me it makes less sense that anyone would nuke a place that is sacred to them. I can't see anyone other than religious nutcases being mental enough to use nuclear weapons in the modern world.

Without being that knowledgeable about Islam, I was under the impression that their most sacred place is Mecca.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

AlexanderS wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

For me it makes less sense that anyone would nuke a place that is sacred to them. I can't see anyone other than religious nutcases being mental enough to use nuclear weapons in the modern world.

Without being that knowledgeable about Islam, I was under the impression that their most sacred place is Mecca.
The dome of the rock is in Jerusalem.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

AlexanderS wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Islam's most sacred place is Mecca, the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem is sacred to Islam in a secondary way.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

locked for review.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Lounge”