Please help with statues found in 2014

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
pbmaise

Re: Please help with statues found in 2014

Post by pbmaise »

Kim regarding the photos you posted here.

#1 is obviously man made. They are either salt drying flats or mixing areas for concrete. See geo-polymer website on how the pyramids were built and they show similar square mixing areas like this. Unless there is a big structure nearby they are salt drying flats. Similar in Hawaii.

#2 Item 2 is roller compacted concrete that was covered in mortar at one point. Notice where it looks like an outer covering is falling off that is gray. Depending on area that was composed of sticky rice and slacked lime.

#3 Might be a very poorly executed step pyramid. Each level perfectly horizontal suggest roller compacted concrete.

Just my opinion.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, whether it bears any connection with the facts or not, but -
1. is the Tessellated Pavement at Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania, as featured on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellated_pavement.
3. is the Pyramid at Porcupine Gorge http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/porcupine-gorge/
I have been to both of them and can confirm they are natural.
I have haven't been to (2) which is near Pyramid Lake, Nevada.

:namaste:
Kim
pbmaise

Post by pbmaise »

Kim
When presented with difficult subject matter in a forum deflection derails any input.

I asked several questions about Buddhism and you wish to dispute what salt pans look like with someone who uses facts like

1793 Captain Vancouver described them and use
Still in use in Hawaii
Tamania was major sea salt exporter since 1830s

They look identical to salt pans still in use in a place on record of having a large number of salt pans.

I prefer not to interpret why the bust of a man with a bun on a foo dog - lion has holy beads in his mouth pulled tightly like the reigns of a horse.

Someone must know more on this subject.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

pbmaise wrote:Here is the other side of the bust.

A far larger bust appears to the right that I have no idea about. Who would command a far larger bust than Manjursi?

Also notice from this view the top of the head appears missing like the sculpture overlooking the elephants.
Could be a head, could be a head shaped rock, could just be a rock. Depends on how much imagination one wants to invest.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
pbmaise

Post by pbmaise »

Please see pdf files. They are not rocks. Rocks are not made from concrete or sandstone and coated by a mason in motar who leaves a record showing how it is done.

Where is a better place to ask these questions?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Please see pdf files. They are not rocks. Rocks are not made from concrete or sandstone and coated by a mason in motar who leaves a record showing how it is done.
I saw the pdf's.
Where is a better place to ask these questions?
An archaeology site? I say this because it is probably better to first verify that they are archaeological finds, before engaging in trying to identify them.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Personally, I'm struggling to see anything specifically Buddhist, especially a very specific Bodhisattva. And SD is right, you'd be better off getting archaeologists and geologists involved. The reason I say this is because the geology of Palawan and most of the Philippines is volcanic rock, sandstone and mudstone. What can look like layers of concrete and mortar (or plaster) could be nothing more than sediments of different type of rocks. Not trying to blow out your candle here, just trying to give you a better heading :)

Gassho,
Seishin
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I have been to Pyramid Lake, Nevada, USA. And to Devil's Tower, Wyoming, USA. Both these pyramidal structures are natural formations and completely, totally worth the effort to see.

That's all I have to contribute to this discussion.
Kim O'Hara wrote:You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, whether it bears any connection with the facts or not, but -
1. is the Tessellated Pavement at Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania, as featured on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellated_pavement.
3. is the Pyramid at Porcupine Gorge http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/porcupine-gorge/
I have been to both of them and can confirm they are natural.
I have haven't been to (2) which is near Pyramid Lake, Nevada.
pbmaise

Post by pbmaise »

Thank you for suggestions.

It is apparent what I call the Buddhist section is more recent and older sections are mostly animal.

Buddhism was prior to Arab and then Spanish traders so I suspect damage to area makes sights more difficult to see.

Largest Buddhist temple in area is just a few islands over.
pbmaise

Post by pbmaise »

I looked into Pyramid Lake Nevada.

I am not saying the pyramid in Pyramid Lake Neveda is man made.

However, interesting facts about it include.

1. Ancient man has been proven now to have lived in the area for over 10,000 years based on dating of petroglyphs.

2. The pyramid is claimed to be made of tufa limestone, however, formations at Mono Lake are thin and far smaller.

3. Experts are just now learning ancient man was making large amounts of ancient concrete that they thought was limestone.

4. 10,000 years is a long time. Perhaps ancient people in North America figured it out too.

BTW regarding those salt pans in Tasmania, some Australian sailors I had dinner with had a good laugh at whatever expert was claiming they were natural. They referenced a book about the history of Australia.

I will readily agree the Grand Canyon is natural.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

pbmaise wrote:I will readily agree the Grand Canyon is natural.
:thumbsup:
That's very broadminded of you.

:popcorn:
Kim
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
pbmaise wrote:I will readily agree the Grand Canyon is natural.
:thumbsup:
That's very broadminded of you.

:popcorn:
Kim
:twothumbsup:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Return to “Lounge”