Poll to end Polls

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Well should we?
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Re: Poll to end Polls

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:58 pm

What do you mean by "should"? And who is this "we" that your are referring to? "Well"?
:tongue:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby T. Chokyi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Malcolm wrote:Well should we?

lol
T. Chokyi

Postby Ayu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Malcolm wrote:Well should we?

Why should we?
:namaste:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Will » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Considering the zillions of posts and millions of topics here, the arising of a few polls should be easy to practice patience with.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Anders » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:02 pm

I am missing some options here. Where is neither yes, no, nor maybe? Or neither yes, no, nor maybe nor not neither yes, no, nor maybe?

I don't think this poll is representative. All we've learned from this is the agenda of the OP imo.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Malcolm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Anders wrote:I am missing some options here. Where is neither yes, no, nor maybe? Or neither yes, no, nor maybe nor not neither yes, no, nor maybe?

I don't think this poll is representative. All we've learned from this is the agenda of the OP imo.

All of those options are built into the poll, it is quite exhaustive...

You see, neither yes, no, nor maybe is covered by not selecting anything.

"neither yes, no, nor maybe nor not neither yes" is covered by voting no.

It just depends on your dialectical fortitude... :buddha1:
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Isn't this a poll? :lol:

Can yo participate in this poll and be against polls -- at the same time?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Will » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Isn't this a poll? :lol:

Can you participate in this poll and be against polls -- at the same time?

Certainly; I am indulging in the vice of foolish speech now, yet am definitely against that vice.

Or one can be in favor of polls and yet not vote in this one.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Kim O'Hara » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Isn't this a poll? :lol:

Can yo participate in this poll and be against polls -- at the same time?

Certainly - I'm doing it now: I haven't voted.

More seriously, the reasons I haven't voted are the reasons I would be happy to see the poll feature removed from the forum. That is, (1) that a poll provides less information than simply asking the question (because it limits the range and length of answers) and (2) that the results of a poll are useless, however definite they seem, since the participation rate is so low.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Will » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:09 am

Kim:
...since the participation rate is so low.

Then might as well evaporate Dharma Wheel, where only 1% ? of members participate.
Will

Postby Kim O'Hara » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:01 am

Will wrote:Kim:

Then might as well evaporate Dharma Wheel, where only 1% ? of members participate.

That's not the point I was trying to make, Will.
Those who read DW but never (or rarely) post are still making good use of it. Those who signed up and left shortly afterwards but are still on the books also (we hope) gained something.
However, when a "poll of DW members" comes up with (say) 80% in favour it looks impressive but the group in favour is not 80% of members. It's not even 80% of active members (0.8% of members if your 1% figure is correct). It's 80% of the active members who are interested enough in that particular topic to contribute a response to a question posed in this particular way.
If the percentage of threads I participate in is typical of an "active member", any particular topic is only attracting responses from 10% of the active members, so the approval rating is 80% of 10% of 1% - even if polls attract as many responders as other threads. That's 0.08% of members, such a small number that it is highly unlikely to reflect members' opinions.
You might say that applies to normal threads as well, but it doesn't. Why not? Because we still have a participation rate of 10% of 1% but we participate as individuals and no-one is even tempted to say "80% of DW members approve of this." Rather, we say, "Kim thinks this and Will thinks that and Simon thinks they are both wrong."

Your 1% figure is a guess and so are my figures. Perhaps an admin could check their validity?

:coffee:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Will » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:52 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Will wrote:Kim:

That's not the point I was trying to make, Will.
Those who read DW but never (or rarely) post are still making good use of it. Those who signed up and left shortly afterwards but are still on the books also (we hope) gained something.
However, when a "poll of DW members" comes up with (say) 80% in favour it looks impressive but the group in favour is not 80% of members. It's not even 80% of active members (0.8% of members if your 1% figure is correct). It's 80% of the active members who are interested enough in that particular topic to contribute a response to a question posed in this particular way.
If the percentage of threads I participate in is typical of an "active member", any particular topic is only attracting responses from 10% of the active members, so the approval rating is 80% of 10% of 1% - even if polls attract as many responders as other threads. That's 0.08% of members, such a small number that it is highly unlikely to reflect members' opinions.
You might say that applies to normal threads as well, but it doesn't. Why not? Because we still have a participation rate of 10% of 1% but we participate as individuals and no-one is even tempted to say "80% of DW members approve of this." Rather, we say, "Kim thinks this and Will thinks that and Simon thinks they are both wrong."

Your 1% figure is a guess and so are my figures. Perhaps an admin could check their validity?

:coffee:
Kim

The exact figures are not needed by me. Anyone who has hung around online discussion groups knows very well that participation rates are very low. The polls are only suggestive of the views of the active mini-minority - so what else is new?
I suppose some newbie to discussion groups could drop in to DW and see a poll and run off with a stupid interpretation. But each poll gives not just percentages but raw numbers of voters - thus when only 35 people have voted, any conclusion ignoring that tiny number is not the poll's fault - but the careless reader of such.

Besides, in DW five years of existence only 15 or 20? polls have been taken - so let us not sweat the small stuff.
Will

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:17 am

The only use polls have, is to spark discussion around a topic. But one can do that simply by starting a normal thread anyway. Around DW (recently) they seem to be mainly utilised to demarcate groups, and reinforce "us and them" dualities.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby catmoon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:14 am

If one is in favor of ending all polls, then surely one cannot in good conscience participate in one!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Return to Lounge