Me, too!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 pm 
Former staff member

Definitely!

Kirt

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:06 am 

A great scientist and educator. Check out his "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" series here (US) or here (non-US)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 am 

Count me in. :twothumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:41 am 

Why Neil deGrasse Tyson is a philistine

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:31 am 

:popcorn:

:twothumbsup:

Science is so . . . what is the word? Scientific.

I'll join. :woohoo:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:37 am 

Jinzang wrote:

I'm not surprised to read that.

I was so looking forward to the remake of Cosmos, having watched Sagan's version as a child, and I was a fan of NDT, but that first episode... so damned disappointing. That awful Giordano Bruno segment was like a fart in a crowded elevator - bad and wrong on so many levels.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:20 am 
Global Moderator

Jinzang wrote:

The general contempt for philosophy coming from parts of the scientific community today is sad, and telling of the inadequacy of materialism as a philosophy of life.

That said, I saw him speak a few years back, he's obviously a brilliant dude who does some good work...I just think the dogmatism shown towards philosophy these days by materialists and those that lean that direction is ridiculous, as well as typically very poorly argued. It's one of the few areas where otherwise unquestionably brilliant folks seem to say some really asinine things, to my ears of course.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:26 am 

Quote:
Nice one :thanks:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 pm 

Jinzang wrote:

The author of that article mischaracterizes Tyson's perspective, which is not dismissive of philosophy as a whole, but of philosophical attempts to resolve issues that require empirical evidence to resolve (e.g., scientific issues).

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 pm 

I'm a fan. But obviously there are many posters in this forum that are either anti-science or aren't able to reconcile science with their religious beliefs. Then there are a few that manage the reconciliation quite well.

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:59 pm 

A person that is using a scientific facts and language to speak to our sense of being is an astrophilosopher. By the tone he is using in this talk, I would even call him an astropreacher. :smile:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:30 pm 
Former staff member

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Jinzang wrote:

The general contempt for philosophy coming from parts of the scientific community today is sad,

What contributions has philosophy made to mankind, particularly over the last century (excluding logic and metamathematics, neither of which I view as philosophy anyway)?

Philosophy should have made contributions to human thinking. Most of what has happened recently has been obfuscation at best.

Kirt

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:14 pm 

oushi wrote:
A person that is using a scientific facts and language to speak to our sense of being is an astrophilosopher. By the tone he is using in this talk, I would even call him an astropreacher. :smile:

An astro-acharya.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Andrew108 wrote:
I'm a fan. But obviously there are many posters in this forum that are either anti-science or aren't able to reconcile science with their religious beliefs. Then there are a few that manage the reconciliation quite well.

Or, alternatively, you are just making incorrect assumptions about what's being said.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15848

:thumbsup: His Cosmos series is great.

Dhamma Wheel forum

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:46 pm 

Jinzang wrote:

Meh, what an obnoxious essay! Perhaps it could also just be called "Why Neil deGrasse Tyson is still just middle class and not upper class"! lol

I just think that Tyson realizes that his present lifetime is finite, so he focuses on the subjects which he personally finds the most interesting and important, and he prefers to speak plainly. I don't think he needs to apologize for anything. Could he be more broadly educated regarding to philosophy? Sure, but it might not bring him much benefit.

And I don't think that it does much damage if he tells people not to study philosophy. If any of his listeners are truly interested in philosophy, they will probably just study it anyway. Lots of people like Tyson's speeches, but I don't think that they regard him as some sort of supreme guru for all of life's issues.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Luke wrote:
Jinzang wrote:

Meh, what an obnoxious essay! Perhaps it could also just be called "Why Neil deGrasse Tyson is still just middle class and not upper class"! lol

I just think that Tyson realizes that his present lifetime is finite, so he focuses on the subjects which he personally finds the most interesting and important, and he prefers to speak plainly. I don't think he needs to apologize for anything. Could he be more broadly educated regarding to philosophy? Sure, but it might not bring him much benefit.

And I don't think that it does much damage if he tells people not to study philosophy. If any of his listeners are truly interested in philosophy, they will probably just study it anyway. Lots of people like Tyson's speeches, but I don't think that they regard him as some sort of supreme guru for all of life's issues.

I don't know about that. Most of my friends are materialist/atheist leaners, and they sound about like I do when talking about Buddhist thinkers when they talk about people like Degrasse -Tyson, or Harris, or Dawkins..or whoever is seen as a ort of luminary of "science as a philosophy". Whether my friends want to admit it or not, to some degree these people are their "gurus".

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I think that all these people have made a valuable contribution to human thought, and are worth listening to - after all, I went to go see him speak (I even had walking pneumonia btw lol), and enjoyed a lot of what he had to say.

That said, the materialist/atheist leaning friends of mine are also really way too credulous with regard to the shortfalls of viewing science as a philosophy of life, and tend to dismiss big, open questions about this worldview with a response that is similar to Tyson's - questioning the usefulness of asking questions in the first place (usually, things that are the most glaring questions which materialists can't yet answer - nature of mind, value etc.). Or worse, they use a tactic you commonly see (on these forums too) of painting anyone willing to question materialist assumptions as being a religious zealot or anti-science crusader.

I would think that -to a Buddhist at least- the usefulness of asking "big" questions (at least the right questions) isn't really debatable.

Despite how smart these guys are, their stuff turns pretty provincial when certain questions get asked...that said, again, I don't wish to diminish their impact, and if I were forced to choose between Degrasse Tyson and the guy who runs the Creationist Museum..I know who i'd choose in a heartbeat lol, I just hope that we can live in a world where those aren't the only two choices.