Consistency of Dharma Cultivation

Anything goes (almost).

Consistency of Dharma Cultivation

Postby thornbush » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:01 am

Consistency of Dharma Cultivation....this proverb says it: (with some Pure Land flavouring :tongue: )
http://www.ymba.org/BWF/bwf91.htm#testing
In the first year of cultivation, Buddha Amitabha is right before our eyes;
the second year, He has already returned West;
by the time the third year rolls around, if someone inquires about Him or requests recitation [at a funeral, for example], payment is required before a few words are spoken or a few verses recited.

1. How is consistency in cultivating Dharma important to you?
2. How does fluctuations in that consistency aid one's Dharma cultivation?

Opinions? Comments? :thanks:
thornbush

Re: Consistency of Dharma Cultivation

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:20 am

Greetings Thornbush,

Consistency is very important, particular with regards to mindfulness and adherence to precepts. If the formal meditation slips a little then so be it, but mindfulness is paramount.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Re: Consistency of Dharma Cultivation

Postby dumb bonbu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 am

i like this quote very much old cat! i think it speaks well of the times. it is all too easy for Dharma cultivation to become corrupted by political influence, wrong views, attachments. but i also think when we see this corruption it can inspire us to cultivate the Dharma inside each of us with renewed vigour. it is no exaggeration to say that the times Shinran lived through were troubling ones - full of feudal warring and power-struggles between the differing Buddhist schools. but these times which he saw as proof of Mappo, encouraged him to turn to the Pure Land and spread the teachings. similarly, when we hear of 'funeral religion' or scandals in the temples it serves as fuel for inspiration to cultivate the Dharma within ourselves.
Although I too am within Amida's grasp,
Passions obstruct my eyes and I cannot see him;
Nevertheless, great compassion is untiring and
illumines me always.
- Shinran

Namu Amida Butsu
dumb bonbu

Return to Lounge