Mans desires must overshadow his needs!

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Lindama

Re: Mans desires must overshadow his needs!

Post by Lindama »

oushi wrote:Beholding and taking control of the unconscious is the crux of this matter. Tame the Ox or Elephant, and don't let it be tamed by the greedy ones.
nothing needs to be tamed when we exclude nothing... tote those bales, haul that barge and be free
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
oushi

Post by oushi »

Lindama wrote:
oushi wrote:Beholding and taking control of the unconscious is the crux of this matter. Tame the Ox or Elephant, and don't let it be tamed by the greedy ones.
nothing needs to be tamed when we exclude nothing... tote those bales, haul that barge and be free
Excluding nothing is far from acceptable. That is why Gautama started his journey in the first place. Suffering is that part we are not delighted with, and it is not a matter of accepting or rejecting it.
Say what you think about me here.
zsc

Post by zsc »

oushi wrote:
Lindama wrote:
Excluding nothing is far from acceptable. That is why Gautama started his journey in the first place. Suffering is that part we are not delighted with, and it is not a matter of accepting or rejecting it.
Are you delighted by food? I don't mean gluttony. I mean do you feel even a small sense of relief after you have satisfied your hunger and thirst?

Then you are accepting suffering. Hunger is a feeling that we perpetually have to satisfy, and food is ultimately unsatisfactory. And yet, we would rather discuss voluntary fasting than people and animals who are "fasting" quite involuntarily. Laypeople trying to be like monks is one of the most pervasive distractions ever, for practice and for actually helping people.
yolo (but not really).
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
성불하세요.
oushi

Post by oushi »

zsc wrote:Are you delighted by food? I don't mean gluttony. I mean do you feel even a small sense of relief after you have satisfied your hunger and thirst?
Then you are accepting suffering.
That is why, accepting or rejecting is not a way out. To have a sense of relief, something had to be imposed on us in the first place. That is why we are not chasing after something pleasurable, we are just regaining what was taken away. That is why it's called extinction of dukkha.
Since there is a great desire for relief, it is used as a motivator. We are eager to suffer if it is going to help us achieve our goals. Hunger and thirst helps us survive, but there are other kinds of suffering that are mostly self-inflicted. Why? Why do we self punish ourselves? Because we were convinced, that the goal is worth suffering for.
garudha

Post by garudha »

Lindama wrote:
garudha wrote:Mans desires must overshadow his needs!

I read the title and thought "wants exceeding needs is a margin of safety which would be inherent for survival".

Unfortunately, Man is not very good at giving.
Do you know that to be true? ... man is not good at giving?

There is good at giving by many unseen in the world...

We need not generalize on the capacity of man to give... let's start small, with ourselves.
I agree with you. And I also agree with myself in believing that ownership is a form of theft. I think animals have a good take on ownership. They're all Buddha in my eyes.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

oushi wrote:
Lindama wrote:
slippery slope here :shrug: excluding nothing is an act of awareness, simply that.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Lindama smoking something good today. :lol:
It’s eye blinking.
oushi

Post by oushi »

Lindama wrote:slippery slope here :shrug: excluding nothing is an act of awareness, simply that.
It is a lack of acting. Without this acting, feelings arise unopposed. Those good, and those bad ones.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

oushi wrote:
Lindama wrote:slippery slope here :shrug: excluding nothing is an act of awareness, simply that.
It is a lack of acting. Without this acting, feelings arise unopposed. Those good, and those bad ones.
it is not we who are acting.... yes, it is unopposed, exactly.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

:lol:
LastLegend wrote:Lindama smoking something good today. :lol:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
oushi

Post by oushi »

Lindama wrote:it is not we who are acting....
You suggest surrendering to manipulation? Even those cunning ones, who are exploiting us through unconscious, did not came up with such an idea. Or maybe they did?
Nevertheless, those who can change your unconscious, are controlling you.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

oushi wrote:
Lindama wrote:it is not we who are acting....
You suggest surrendering to manipulation? Even those cunning ones, who are exploiting us through unconscious, did not came up with such an idea. Or maybe they did?
Oushi, it's entirely an inside job.

Simply an eagle eye.... thoughts and cunning ones co-arise without us inviting them... we can chase but they come on their own. Call them what you will, ideas, thoughts ... they themselves should be invited in, they are not the problem. Offer them a chair, but for goodness sake don't put them on stage! The more the merrier, then there will be nothing left in Maleficent's cavern. One who knows his own unconscious power to manipulate is immune to the cunning one's manipulation ... one who doesn't is indeed a victim. In a good way, we can be grateful that they show us the royal road to our unconscious and soon as we see, it is no longer unconscious. Pink glasses, black glasses... all comes off. :meditate:

It is not the hand dealt, it is how we play the game. As the lens comes into focus, we can't be fooled anymore by ourselves and we pour water on the cunning... like it never existed, like the Wicked Witch of the West. I like the Buddha's way: "be a lamp unto yourself". Just us chickens growing feathers around the fire.

:heart:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

oushi wrote:You suggest surrendering to manipulation? Even those cunning ones, who are exploiting us through unconscious, did not came up with such an idea. Or maybe they did?
What do you mean by the term unconscious? Do you mean, like, habits?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
oushi

Post by oushi »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
oushi wrote:You suggest surrendering to manipulation? Even those cunning ones, who are exploiting us through unconscious, did not came up with such an idea. Or maybe they did?
What do you mean by the term unconscious? Do you mean, like, habits?
Not only. It is quite shameful that no religion even talked about the second mind withing our mind. It was discovered by scientists few decades ago. Right brain hemisphere consciousness, has it's own way of perceiving and understanding the world around. It is that non-verbal part which communicates his observations through feelings. We can say that our self has a mental Siamese twin that is very vulnerable to manipulation. It helps him learn quickly, and master action into habit, but it is also a "backdoor" into the mind.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

oushi wrote:Not only. It is quite shameful that no religion even talked about the second mind withing our mind. It was discovered by scientists few decades ago. Right brain hemisphere consciousness, has it's own way of perceiving and understanding the world around. It is that non-verbal part which communicates his observations through feelings. We can say that our self has a mental Siamese twin that is very vulnerable to manipulation. It helps him learn quickly, and master action into habit, but it is also a "backdoor" into the mind.
Well, I recommend you should check out some of the more detailed teachings on the skhandas and Abhidharma, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
oushi

Post by oushi »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
oushi wrote:Not only. It is quite shameful that no religion even talked about the second mind withing our mind. It was discovered by scientists few decades ago. Right brain hemisphere consciousness, has it's own way of perceiving and understanding the world around. It is that non-verbal part which communicates his observations through feelings. We can say that our self has a mental Siamese twin that is very vulnerable to manipulation. It helps him learn quickly, and master action into habit, but it is also a "backdoor" into the mind.
Well, I recommend you should check out some of the more detailed teachings on the skhandas and Abhidharma, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I would be delighted if you could point me to a specific text.

Return to “Lounge”