Einstein's letter on religion to 6th grader:

Anything goes (almost).

Einstein's letter on religion to 6th grader:

Postby smcj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:36 am

A 6th grader asked A. Einstein if scientists pray. Here's his answer:

January 24, 1936
Dear Phyllis,

I will attempt to reply to your question as simply as I can. Here is my answer:

Scientists believe that every occurrence, including the affairs of human beings, is due to the laws of nature. Therefore a scientist cannot be inclined to believe that the course of events can be influenced by prayer, that is, by a supernaturally manifested wish.

However, we must concede that our actual knowledge of these forces is imperfect, so that in the end the belief in the existence of a final, ultimate spirit rests on a kind of faith. Such belief remains widespread even with the current achievements in science.

But also, everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is surely quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.

With cordial greetings,

your A. Einstein
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Re: Einstein's letter on religion to 6th grader:

Postby tumblingsound » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks for this. :yinyang:
tumblingsound

Re: Einstein's letter on religion to 6th grader:

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:50 am

ON the topic of 'spiritual Einstein quotes' I have always found this one remarkable:

A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. The striving to free oneself from this delusion is the one issue of true religion. Not to nourish it but to try to overcome it is the way to reach the attainable measure of peace of mind.

There's a reproduction of the original here.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Return to Lounge