Dark Energy

Anything goes (almost).

Dark Energy

Postby tellyontellyon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Hiya,
So what is all this dark energy and matter stuff I've been hearing about? Is it somewhere off in space or is it right here with us in our rooms?

Sounds really strange stuff to me? Dark matter and energy must interact a little with ordinary matter for them to have an effect on gravity. Does it interact with 'normal' matter in any other ways?

(Considering there is much more dark matter and energy in the universe, maybe we should call dark matter and dark energy normal!)

Could this dark energy and matter universe have its own beings?

Could we harness dark energy?

Has it relevance for Buddhism?
“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard
tellyontellyon

Re: Dark Energy

Postby daverupa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

tellyontellyon wrote:Hiya,
So what is all this dark energy and matter stuff I've been hearing about? Is it somewhere off in space or is it right here with us in our rooms?

It can basically be considered to be a cosmological constant, right there with gravity and the strong nuclear force and so forth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25663810

The latest results indicate dark energy is a cosmological constant whose strength does not vary in space or time.

They also provide an excellent estimate of the curvature of space.

"The answer is, it's not curved much. The universe is extraordinarily flat," said Prof Schlegel.

"And this has implications for whether the universe is infinite. While we can't say with certainty, it's likely the universe extends forever in space and will go on forever in time. Our results are consistent with an infinite universe," he said.

A flat universe can have zero total energy (matter and gravity are in balance) and have arisen through a quantum fluctuation of vacuum energy, which a cosmological-constant formulation of dark energy (supported by the above) can count as. The fate of such a universe is heat death.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby tellyontellyon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:23 pm

I heard the amount of dark energy is increasing. I have to be honest, the whole field of physics is murky to me. :crying:
“Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask? Do you think life always lets itself be trifled with? Do you think you can sneak off a little before midnight to escape this?”
― Søren Kierkegaard
tellyontellyon

Postby smcj » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 pm

tellyontellyon wrote:I heard the amount of dark energy is increasing. I have to be honest, the whole field of physics is murky to me. :crying:

It's murky to physicists too. They are bumping up against imponderables. (What caused the Big Bang? etc.)
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Nobody knows that. I joined a physics forum, and asked the same question, and got that answer. On the philosophy forum I post to, there are always several people who say 'the laws of physics are the only laws in the Universe' as if they explain everything. If I say 'what about the mystery sorrounding "dark energy" ' they just brush it off. 'We'll discover it one day'. Yeah, right. Come back then. :smile:
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby smcj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:00 am

I thought dark energy is what they use to explain why all the galaxies are accelerating away from each other instead of collapsing in due to gravity.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby Jinzang » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 am

Observations made with the Hubble Space Telescope showed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating rather than decelerating as a result of gravity. Adam Reiss one the Nobel Prize for this. The unknown cause for this acceleration was labeled "dark energy" on analogy with "dark matter," the unobserved matter which only shows through its gravitational effects on the motion of galaxies. There is no commonly accepted explanation of the accelerating expansion of the universe, hence no common definition of what dark energy is. The most conservative explanation is a non-zero value for Einstein's cosmological constant. So dark energy really is nothing more than a question mark or placeholder at this point.
Lamrim, lojong, and mahamudra are the unmistaken path.
Jinzang

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 am

[quote="tellyontellyon"]Hiya,
So what is all this dark energy and matter stuff I've been hearing about?

Maybe dark energy is the ground of awareness,
and everything else is an object of awareness.
That's my "fantasy theory".
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:52 am

smcj wrote:I thought dark energy is what they use to explain why all the galaxies are accelerating away from each other instead of collapsing in due to gravity.

It explains why, when you get older, it takes so much longer to do things
...everything is further apart now than it was when you were young.
:rolling:
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby KeithBC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm

tellyontellyon wrote:Has it relevance for Buddhism?

No more so than anything else in samsara. It's just more "stuff".

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby Kim O'Hara » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 am

KeithBC wrote:
tellyontellyon wrote:Has it relevance for Buddhism?

No more so than anything else in samsara. It's just more "stuff".

Om mani padme hum
Keith

:good:
Best answer so far.

:smile:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby lesliejoyB » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:45 am

Most people would think bad on dark energy. But, I think it would make balance in the system. It's like the yin and yung that makes balance.
lesliejoyB

Postby Zhen Li » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:17 am

What if it doesn't exist?
Zhen Li

Postby Kim O'Hara » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:50 am

lesliejoyB wrote:Most people would think bad on dark energy. But, I think it would make balance in the system. It's like the yin and yung that makes balance.

"dark" in "dark energy" = "invisible" or "undetectable". It has nothing to to with yin/yang, positive/negative, good/evil, masculine/feminine.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Return to Lounge