Dobri Dobrev : The Wonderful Beggar

Anything goes (almost).

Postby tidathep » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Sawaddee Ka :hi:

I read this wonderful story @facebook..I remember that I posted a story of a very poor girl who decided to give her only cloth to the Sangha...

Amaidhasi: The Poor/Pretty Slave : http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16268

[From Facebook]

Meet 98 year old Dobri Dobrev, a man who lost his hearing in the second world war. Every day he walks 10 kilometers from his village in his homemade clothes and leather shoes to the city of Sofia, where he spends the day begging for money.
Though a well known fixture around several of the city’s churches, known for his prostrations of thanks to all donors, it was only recently discovered that he has donated every penny he has collected — over 40,000 euros — towards the restoration of decaying Bulgarian monasteries and the utility bills of orphanages, living instead off his monthly state pension of 80 euros.

tidathep :reading:
tidathep

Re: Dobri Dobrev : The Wonderful Beggar

Postby Ivo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 pm

This person begs in my home city (Sofia, Bulgaria). I have seen him many times over many years. The report is completely true. He was featured on one of Pope Francis facebook pages recently. He is a very simple person, just doing the right thing.
Ivo

Postby tidathep » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Ivo wrote:This person begs in my home city (Sofia, Bulgaria). I have seen him many times over many years. The report is completely true. He was featured on one of Pope Francis facebook pages recently. He is a very simple person, just doing the right thing.

---------------
Dear Ivo,

Yes..yes he is doing the great merit...next life, he'll be reborn in a very happy world. :anjali:

tidathep :reading:
tidathep

Postby greentara » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks for the posting on Dobri Dobrev. What a wonderful old beggar, beautiful photos of a truely humble man.
greentara

Postby Motova » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:22 am

Thank you, this is truly inspiring. :smile:
Motova

Postby shaunc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 am

A great story Tidathep.
shaunc

Postby tidathep » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 pm

shaunc wrote:A great story Tidathep.

------------
Dear Shaunc,

Thanks!
How about elephants beg for food?

tidathep :namaste:
tidathep

Postby kirtu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:20 pm

tidathep wrote:
How about elephants beg for food?

this reminds me of a Chinese Buddhist story that was supposed to have taken place in modern times: a cow escaped from a slaughter house before it have been assaulted, ran onto the street and saw a monk. The cow ran over to the monk and bowed, apparently three times. The monk thought that the cow was requesting refuge and gave the cow refuge vows. The cow was apparently spared from the slaughter house as a result.

The elephants look like they might be attempting to make offerings to the monks.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby tidathep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:28 pm

kirtu wrote:The elephants look like they might be attempting to make offerings to the monks.

Kirt

------------
Dear Kirt,

But elephants had nothing to offer(in the picture)....In Thailand, it's so common for people/monks to give fruits/vegetables to elephants...Usually Surin is the town that there are many places for elephant-shows...and Saraburi is popular for monkey-shows.

tidathep

Return to Lounge