It's a sign / Magical thinking is stupid

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

It's a sign / Magical thinking is stupid

It's a sign! - just when I needed it most, I got a sign inexplicably from the universe or something!
35%
Magical thinking is stupid! - be logical & you won't find yourself in such desperate situations, clinging to such desperate nonsense.
65%

Total votes: 34

tatpurusa

Re: It's a sign / Magical thinking is stupid

Post by tatpurusa »

smcj wrote:Atiyoga is tantric Dzogchen. It is tantra.

Non-tantric Dzogchen is slightly different. Non-tantric Mahamudra is sutra Mahamudra. So as I've said, if the parallel systems are consistent, then non-tantric Dzogchen is sutra Dzogchen. Or maybe not, but that's how the Sarma traditions are classified.

ChNN has some unusual perspectives. He is an authentic teacher and what he says is valid. But what he says isn't always mainstream. I personally can't think of anyone else with quite his take on things. That's ok. What he is teaching is legitimate. But try to name someone that has the same perspective that isn't a student of his, and you'll have to look hard.
Not true.
The classification of Sutra (renunciation), Tantra (transformation), and Dzogchen (spontaneous auto-liberation) is just the same within Bon.
I have read and heard the same classification from Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak and other Yungdrung Bon masters.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I have read and heard the same classification from Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak and other Yungdrung Bon masters.
Ah, Bon. Well all bets are off with that. I have no idea how they classify stuff.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
futerko

Post by futerko »

padma norbu wrote:
futerko wrote:
padma norbu wrote:That sounds like a one-liner to avoid the specifics I've raised.

Are we making up mandalas out of wholecloth that aren't really there in order to eventuate their reality? OR do those mandalas and visions of reality already have some reality, albeit as empty as our own? From what I have been taught, they exist, but we don't have that particular karmic vision.
What is the difference between a pure view and an impure one? Is it maybe that one recognises emptiness while the other doesn't?
Why can't you just answer my question directly instead of now for the second time not answering the question, specifically?
Because I'm not really understanding the question.
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

smcj wrote:
Ah, Bon. Well all bets are off with that. I have no idea how they classify stuff.
Well, there are many differences, but regarding the classification of Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen they go along with Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.
And I assume ChNNR's classification is the standard Nyingma one.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

futerko wrote:Because I'm not really understanding the question.
I don't know how to ask the question any clearer, but Tatpurusa already answered in a way I understood perfectly, so I guess it doesn't matter.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

tatpurusa wrote:
smcj wrote:
Well, there are many differences, but regarding the classification of Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen they go along with Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.
And I assume ChNNR's classification is the standard Nyingma one.
I think the answer to this question of Atiyoga being tantra or not is found in The Crystal & The Way of Light, p. 174, 3rd paragraph down:
http://books.google.com/books?id=C1WtWH ... ra&f=false
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Oh look, it's stopped raining again! It's a sign that the practice went well and the Naga are happy! I knew I was on the right track!
Well gee, it hasn't rained here for several days. It think it means its time for you to catch up on your practice. By sending me some souvlaki.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I think the answer to this question of Atiyoga being tantra or not is found in The Crystal & The Way of Light, p. 174, 3rd paragraph down:
In my paperback version p. 174 is an index. That must be the Kindle version.

Anyway, here's the quote:

Although Atiyoga as such does not belong to the Path of Transformation of Tantra, its root texts are nevertheless called tantras and, ever since the second spread of the teachings in Tibet, it has been included among the Inner Tantras and considered to be the supreme level of Tantra.

So it is correctly called Tantra. It goes on to say…

In the same way, although Atiyoga is not a gradual path--for in it one begins immediately with Direct Introduction to the state of Dzogchen--it may also be approached by those who have been 'climbing' through the successive stages of the gradual path, as the latter's last stage.

So just like Vajrayana is a specific form of Mahayana, Atiyoga/Dzogchen is a specific form of Tantra.

But that's just classification. What difference does it really make?
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

conebeckham wrote:"There are more things on heaven and earth, Padma Norbu, then are dreamt of in your philosophy."

-Wille the Shake

Seriously, though......there's "magical thinking," and then there is the limit of conceptual mind to comprehend the finer workings of interdependent origination. When "something" happens, it could, indeed, "be a sign"--though a sign of what, we don't know....and in the end, "signs" are merely mental signifiers, with no separate reality aside from the mind that signifies.

People who "poo poo" so-called Magical Thinking think they can explain and understand everything rationally, and conceptually, and that the dreamers are out of touch with the way things are. I say "no" to that. On the other hand, most Magical Thinking is ego-based in the final analysis, and usually has no basis in a true comprehension of interdependant origination--it's merely ego's "dream" as it were. Both rationalists, and our more, shall we say, "creative" types, are wrong. That's why there's no correct answer to your poll.

:tongue:
If the magical thinkers are wrong, and the rationalists are wrong, well it sounds an awful lot like you're saying everyone is mad but you!
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

catmoon wrote:If the magical thinkers are wrong, and the rationalists are wrong, well it sounds an awful lot like you're saying everyone is mad but you!
Middle path, dear cat, middle path.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

dharmagoat wrote:
catmoon wrote:If the magical thinkers are wrong, and the rationalists are wrong, well it sounds an awful lot like you're saying everyone is mad but you!
I'm just sayin that if you eliminate both, it doesn't leave much room for walking.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

catmoon wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
I'm just sayin that if you eliminate both, it doesn't leave much room for walking.
Do the splits and have one foot on each path!
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

smcj wrote:
In my paperback version p. 174 is an index. That must be the Kindle version.

Anyway, here's the quote:

Although Atiyoga as such does not belong to the Path of Transformation of Tantra, its root texts are nevertheless called tantras and, ever since the second spread of the teachings in Tibet, it has been included among the Inner Tantras and considered to be the supreme level of Tantra.

So it is correctly called Tantra. It goes on to say…

In the same way, although Atiyoga is not a gradual path--for in it one begins immediately with Direct Introduction to the state of Dzogchen--it may also be approached by those who have been 'climbing' through the successive stages of the gradual path, as the latter's last stage.

So just like Vajrayana is a specific form of Mahayana, Atiyoga/Dzogchen is a specific form of Tantra.

But that's just classification. What difference does it really make?
It doesn't make any difference to me, but someone in this thread was figure out why it's called a tantra or something. Seems like the Atiyoga root texts are referred to as tantras just sort of as a traditional thing, but it doesn't belong to the path of transformation known as "tantra", as it clearly says there.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Actually I wanted a good definition of tantra, and included Mahamudra and Dzogchen in my homespun definition. I'm still looking for one.

I came across one by ChNN where he said it was "continuity" or something. That didn't' work for me either.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

smcj wrote:Actually I wanted a good definition of tantra, and included Mahamudra and Dzogchen in my homespun definition. I'm still looking for one.

I came across one by ChNN where he said it was "continuity" or something. That didn't' work for me either.

This is pretty interesting:
http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... ra_01.html
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

I heard tantra quite a while ago described as continuation in ChNN or Lama Yeshe's thin book? ... as tantra is a relationship with energies, entering/becoming the energy.... that seems like continuation to me... and continuity. That one word seemed to capture it.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

You can look up "tantra" in the online Monier-Williams Dictionary, for what it's worth.

Just type "tantra" in the citation box, and click the Search button.

(Selecting "Roman Unicode" in the Output box will provide a more readable romanised sanskrit.)
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

Lindama wrote:I heard tantra quite a while ago described as continuation in ChNN or Lama Yeshe's thin book? ... as tantra is a relationship with energies, entering/becoming the energy.... that seems like continuation to me... and continuity. That one word seemed to capture it.
Yes, it has to do with relationships.

tan (skt. verb root) = to weave + tra (a particle that derives noun out of a verb, denoting the instrument used for doing that activity)
very much like in English out of the verb "to cook" we can derive the noun "cooker" using the particle '-er', denoting the instrument used for cooking.
sūtra (from verb root sūtr = "to string or put together") = thread , yarn , string , line , cord

Tantra is the instrument to "weave" one's mind, i.e. to put it into relationship with the whole fabric of the universe created by minds.
This "weaving" has "yarn , string" (sūtra) as its raw material and leading line, direction.

This way of weaving one's mind into mandalas and minds of deities, giving it the right direction (sūtra) is what I call "magical" about tantra.

As always in sanskrit, there exist also other meanings, and in sanskrit texts (especially in trantric ones) it is very common to intentionally exploit, play with the various layers of meanings of words. This is what makes tantric texts so difficult to translate into modern languages.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I have finally decided... I vote in favor of magical thinking. Even the psychotic kind seems to work for some people. I do, after all, believe in magic. And I'll always have a friend wearing big red shoes.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

catmoon wrote:
conebeckham wrote:"There are more things on heaven and earth, Padma Norbu, then are dreamt of in your philosophy."

-Wille the Shake

Seriously, though......there's "magical thinking," and then there is the limit of conceptual mind to comprehend the finer workings of interdependent origination. When "something" happens, it could, indeed, "be a sign"--though a sign of what, we don't know....and in the end, "signs" are merely mental signifiers, with no separate reality aside from the mind that signifies.

People who "poo poo" so-called Magical Thinking think they can explain and understand everything rationally, and conceptually, and that the dreamers are out of touch with the way things are. I say "no" to that. On the other hand, most Magical Thinking is ego-based in the final analysis, and usually has no basis in a true comprehension of interdependant origination--it's merely ego's "dream" as it were. Both rationalists, and our more, shall we say, "creative" types, are wrong. That's why there's no correct answer to your poll.

:tongue:
If the magical thinkers are wrong, and the rationalists are wrong, well it sounds an awful lot like you're saying everyone is mad but you!
Where did I say I was not mad?
I am an occasional magical thinker, and an occasional hard-boiled rationalist....but always deep in the mire of samsara. That is madness...the madness we all share.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Lounge”