What makes you tick?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
dharmagoat

Re: What makes you tick?

Post by dharmagoat »

catmoon wrote:Well, I find one thing that really turns my crank is reading allegedly deep thoughts authored by a goat. There's something about a goat spouting dharma that pleases me immensely.
It should be "spouting adharma". Get it right.

:cheers:
shel

Post by shel »

greentara wrote:People think they want Truth, but what they really want is reassurance.
In religion, what people really want is meaning. Truth is practically irrelevant.
If you really look within and see what makes you tick...its a minefield!
Only if you are afraid of the truth.
futerko

Post by futerko »

shel wrote:
greentara wrote:People think they want Truth, but what they really want is reassurance.
In religion, what people really want is meaning. Truth is practically irrelevant.
It makes one wonder why there aren't more "dictionary based" religions.
shel

Post by shel »

Cuzzzzz, a dictionary based religion would be meaningless, silly goose. :tongue:
futerko

Post by futerko »

shel wrote:Cuzzzzz, a dictionary based religion would be meaningless, silly goose. :tongue:
:rolling:
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

shel wrote:In religion, what people really want is meaning. Truth is practically irrelevant.
Good call. And the sense of meaning is what provides the reassurance.
shel wrote:Only if you are afraid of the truth.
"You want answers?"
"I want the truth!"
"You can't handle the truth!"
Last edited by dharmagoat on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
shel

Post by shel »

dharmagoat wrote:
shel wrote:In religion, what people really want is meaning. Truth is practically irrelevant.
Good call. And the sense of meaning is what provides the reassurance.
Why would meaning give reassurance? Indeed, the meaning in such notions as hell realms and the like does not sound reassuring. Not reassuring at all.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

shel wrote:Why would meaning give reassurance?
Meaning (which gives rise to purpose) is a basic human need. Try living without either for a while.
shel wrote:Indeed, the meaning in such notions as hell realms and the like does not sound reassuring. Not reassuring at all.
Dread does not add meaning to our lives.
shel

Post by shel »

dharmagoat wrote:
shel wrote:Why would meaning give reassurance?
Meaning (which gives rise to purpose) is a basic human need. Try living without either for a while.
shel wrote:Indeed, the meaning in such notions as hell realms and the like does not sound reassuring. Not reassuring at all.
Dread does not add meaning to our lives.
I asked about reassurance. Are you saying that purpose is reassuring? In that sense, fulfilling any need is reassuring. Eating is reassuring. Getting layed is reassuring. Etc etc
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

dharmagoat wrote:
catmoon wrote:Well, I find one thing that really turns my crank is reading allegedly deep thoughts authored by a goat. There's something about a goat spouting dharma that pleases me immensely.
It should be "spouting adharma". Get it right.

:cheers:
Oh yeah? If you are spouting adharma, then how come your name isn't Adharmagoat? Huh? 'Splain THAT. Sorry, the goat stays on my altar and the chevre stays in the fridge.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

catmoon wrote:Oh yeah? If you are spouting adharma, then how come your name isn't Adharmagoat? Huh? 'Splain THAT. Sorry, the goat stays on my altar and the chevre stays in the fridge.
My talent agent convinced me to drop the 'a'. He said that I would have more appeal among Buddhists as "dharmagoat".
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

dharmagoat wrote:
catmoon wrote:Oh yeah? If you are spouting adharma, then how come your name isn't Adharmagoat? Huh? 'Splain THAT. Sorry, the goat stays on my altar and the chevre stays in the fridge.
My talent agent convinced me to drop the 'a'. He said that I would have more appeal among Buddhists as "dharmagoat".
My mistake, sorry, I thought you were The One True Goat. I see now that you are just another apostagoat. A turngoat so to speak.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

A goat of many colours.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

catmoon wrote:Sardines. Licorice. Sarah Palin.
Eating sardines with licorice in the company of Sarah Palin is enough to make anybody sick!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
reddust

Post by reddust »

The truth is, it's all about poop. If you can't poop, you are full of it... :toilet:

:namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

Return to “Lounge”