Dharma Wheel, An Appreciation.

Anything goes (almost).

Dharma Wheel, An Appreciation.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:28 am

Just a quick word to express appreciation for the forum.
We are all ( or at least I am ) quick to moan when we dont like something. I don't always accen-t=chuate the positive.
I think the current modding of the forum is just right. A light but firm touch on the tiller.
And we have reason to be doubly grateful when one considers the options in terms of open Buddhist forums ( forae ? ).
There is an excellent but still newish forum dedicated largely to Dzogchen.
There is our sister forum for those of a Theravadin bent.
And that's just about it in terms of mature and informed discussion.

Thank you Dr Snyder. Thank you mods. You are doing a grand job. :thumbsup:

( Do you know where to send the check ? :smile: )
Simon E.

Re: Dharma Wheel, An Appreciation.

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am

Simon E. wrote:Just a quick word to express appreciation for the forum.
We are all ( or at least I am ) quick to moan when we dont like something. I don't always accen-t=chuate the positive.
I think the current modding of the forum is just right. A light but firm touch on the tiller.
And we have reason to be doubly grateful when one considers the options in terms of open Buddhist forums ( forae ? ).

Do you accept Paypal?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am

Gladly Greg.. :broke: Or baklava, if it can be smuggled past my wife, who is determined to make me slim.
Simon E.

Postby sukhamanveti » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Agreed. A big thank you to Dr. Snyder and the mods for your continuing generosity. There is no other "place" like this online for Mahayana Buddhists and those interested in the bodhisattva paths. Also, much thanks to the learned and experienced members and teachers who regularly contribute here, kindly translating prayers, offering wise advice, elucidating obscure passages, etc. I visit a couple of Buddhist communities on google plus. They are nothing like this.
namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra
sukhamanveti

Postby justsit » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Simon E. wrote:... forums ( forae ? )...

Second declension neuter, plural = fora. Forums acceptable (but incorrect!) in English.

Sorry if too OCD, old Catholic school teaching dies hard. :smile:

And yes, Dr. Snyder, many thanks.
justsit

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks. All thanks to the (ordained and lay) Sangha here. This is a great community.

Did you know that the number one and number two most visited Buddhist forums on the internet are:

1. Dhamma Wheel
2. Dharma Wheel

This is based on alexa.com traffic rankings and also the total number of posts. Any forum can easily accumulate over 50,000 members, by just accepting spam bots to join. The real measure is in traffic rankings and number of posts.

Currently Dhamma Wheel has 260,777 posts and Dharma Wheel has 188,183 posts.

However, Dharma Wheel (this forum) is growing at a faster rate than Dhamma Wheel and may pass Dhamma Wheel in the next year or so in number of posts.

Special thanks to Tara who has had to put up with a lot of interesting characters here and has held the place together in good and bad.

:twothumbsup: to all.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 pm

I didn't know..but I am not surprised. :namaste:
Simon E.

Postby uan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

:good:

I was thinking thoughts similar to this over the weekend (not that I know what you are actually thinking :lol: ). Thanks for posting this Simon.

Also, my thanks and appreciation to DW and all the mods here. And I'd like to thank all the posters, whether we see eye to eye, we are all in Samsara together and eventually, some eons down the road I imagine, we'll all be Buddhas together and any disagreements today will be ultimately insignificant.

:anjali:
uan

Postby Kim O'Hara » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:13 am

+ 1

+2 actually, since I visit both DW's :smile:

:bow:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby Qing Tian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:09 am

Absolutely agree with everything above.

I am a relative newcomer here. I have learned heaps reading the posts of others. That said, when I do venture an (often ill-conceived) opinion, on the whole the reception of it is gentle and educational.

So, in appreciation of Dr Snyder and the whole team that enable both DW & DW to be such interesting and affable environments...

:bow:
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Qing Tian

Postby Indrajala » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 am

I really appreciate that this service is provided free of charge without any advertisements. It is a huge service to Buddhism. :smile:
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby plwk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:43 am

Ah David, those were the pioneer days huh when traffic here was like 5 miles an hour and now it's busier than an ant highway lol
How things have changed! And as before and now, I have repeated that I don't mind paying subscription fee to help support this and the sister site, you have been long suffering in this matter, although I think the monastics members should be exempted.
Yes, thanks to Mother Tara and her entourage as well :tongue:
plwk

Postby Indrajala » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 am

Internet forums shouldn't require subscription forums. That would be a quick way to kill your member base.

A donation button, however, would be desirable.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby plwk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 am

Well Ven Indrajala, I had in mind on how to avert common trolls and those who don't care enough if this site goes up in flames or not as long as their goals are met, although that may not prevent the more persistent ones amongst them even amongst subscribers. Member base? I am more for quality than quantity actually but of course, it's just another opinion...

Maybe, it's a play of words these days too, 'subscription' and 'donation'? Like, what's the real difference between using the term 'complimentary' and 'free'? perception? 'Subscription' may mean a commitment for cause, come rain or shine.
'Donation' oft has that 'if I feel like it' cloud around it?

I may be wrong ... :smile: but whatever it may be, I just think that it's time David be spared from having to always foot the tab all these years... I wouldn't like if my friends will always have to foot the meal tab for me.
plwk

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the interest and offers of making donations. There is no need for that at the moment. Currently I have 26 Dhamma / Dharma domain names and websites including the 2 forums. All are on the same VPS server and with domain registrations and web hosting, the cost is fairly minimal / reasonable at only a few thousand dollars per year.

For those that want to show their appreciation, perhaps use the Pay it forward method to give to Dharma organizations, those needing funds to attend retreats, etc.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Yep yep, great place. I've learned a ton from being here, really and truly a valuable forum.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Adamantine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:37 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Thanks for the interest and offers of making donations. There is no need for that at the moment. Currently I have 26 Dhamma / Dharma domain names and websites including the 2 forums. All are on the same VPS server and with domain registrations and web hosting, the cost is fairly minimal / reasonable at only a few thousand dollars per year.

For those that want to show their appreciation, perhaps use the Pay it forward method to give to Dharma organizations, those needing funds to attend retreats, etc.

Thanks David. It seems no one has taken advantage of our
Dana for Dharma subforum yet, but that would certainly be a good
venue here to pay-it- forward within the DW community.

:anjali:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby steveb1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:52 am

Pemit me to add my own accolades for the existence of this forum - it's outstanding.

:)
steveb1

Postby Nighthawk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 am

The assembled group of mods we have right now is terrific. I hope it stays this way.
Nighthawk

Postby JKhedrup » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:14 am

Amazing, had no idea so many people were visiting. It is certainly a compliment to the efforts of all of you who give your time to keep the place running smoothly.
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup

Next

Return to Lounge