Indian Visa on Arrival

Anything goes (almost).

Indian Visa on Arrival

Postby Indrajala » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 pm

This will make it a lot easier for people to get to India:

India intends to extend visa on arrival facility to tourists from 40 more countries, including the US, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Australia, the UAE and Saudi Arabia, a move which will make the country a more tourist friendly destination and promote foreign exchange earnings.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatime ... nt-deficit

Earlier they dropped the requirement where you had to exit the country for two months before getting a new tourist visa and being allowed in. It sounds like they're easing all these policies. Let's hope they provide some kind of easily obtained long-term visa. Practitioners in India often struggle to stay long-term. This is a big problem for monks and nuns in shedra programs with strict schedules.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Re: Indian Visa on Arrival

Postby Indrajala » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 pm

A visa agent here in Kathmandu told me that the visa on arrival scheme will probably only be for 1 month tourist visas and not 6 months.

I suspected this would be the case given how the existing visa on arrival scheme for some countries like Japan only offer visas for a few weeks.
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Rroman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:55 pm

This has been close to a year now since they have changed the requirements. Yes, you can have a 6 month visa and leave the country for as little as a day and come back. I just did two weeks out of the country and back with a 6 month visa. But, I could have I done a day and back if I wanted.
Hope this helps
Rroman

Postby Indrajala » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:06 pm

The problem is that they don't always give 6 month visas when applying outside your home country.

For instance, you could fly to Kathmandu after 6 months in India and apply for another 6 month tourist visa, but many foreigners report getting 3 or 4 months, or sometimes only 1 month. It is unpredictable and quite arbitrary. You can't plan anything in advance because of this.

You could send the passport home and have someone get the 6 month visa for you, but then that's risky and you spend a lot in a secure FedEx or UPS delivery. You also don't want to be in South Asia without a passport in hand.

Getting long-term visas in India is often a nightmare. Quite often, I hear, you need to apply for them in your home country. For poor monks like me flying all the way back to Canada is unaffordable.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala
Former staff member

Return to Lounge