Asalha Puja Day!!

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
tidathep

Asalha Puja Day!!

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka

Asalha Puja Day at 5 AM, Tep/I went out walking meditation under the beautiful full moon..so bright that my heart skipped a beat. I promised myself that I'll make 4 jasmines leis for my Buddhas-shrines and I'll think of my kalayanamittas: David Snyder/Manas/Dan74/Plwk/Sambhojanga/Black Bird/Shaunc/Graham/Hickersonia/Convivium and all members who are so nice to me..you all will be in my prayer...

Asalha Puja Day :anjali:
[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

Asalha Puja (known as Asanha Bucha in Thailand, Thai: อาสาฬหบูชา) is a Theravada Buddhist festival which typically takes place in July, on the full moon of the eighth lunar month (July 21 or 22, 2013, depending on location). Asalha Puja, also known as Dhamma Day, is one of Theravada Buddhism’s most important festivals, celebrating as it does the Buddha’s first sermon in which he set out to his five former associates( Kondañña, Vappa, Bhaddiya, Mahanāma, and Assaji. Kondañña was the eldest) the doctrine that had come to him following his enlightenment. This first pivotal sermon, often referred to as “setting into motion the wheel of dhamma,” is the teaching which is encapsulated for Buddhists in the four noble truths: there is suffering (dukka); suffering is caused by craving (tanha); there is a state (nibbana) beyond suffering and craving; and finally, the way to nibbana is via the eightfold path. Whatever differences there may be between various schools and traditions of Buddhism, they all revolve around the central doctrine of the four noble truths.

This first sermon is not only the first structured discourse given by the Buddha after his enlightenment, it also contains the essence of all his subsequent teaching. At the end of the talk, Kondanna,one of the five participants, recounted his understanding of what had been said and asked to be received as a disciple, a request the Buddha granted, thus establishing the first order of monks..**The five bhikkhus at Deer Park were named Kondañña, Vappa, Bhaddiya, Mahanāma, and Assaji. Kondañña was the eldest.**

In Thailand,the Asalha Puja Day is observed by donating offerings to temples and listening to sermons. The following day is known in Thailand as Thai: วันเข้าพรรษา Wan Khao Phansa; it is the first day of Thai: พรรษา vassa, the Theravada rains retreat.

Dhammajak-kappavattana Sutta Chanting in Thailand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R78RD6kc3Y

Dhammajak song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkjRoIB4IiE

Love Buddhas/Dhamma :heart:
tidathep :heart:
Hickersonia

Re: Asalha Puja Day!!

Post by Hickersonia »

Thank you very much, friend. May the day be wonderful for you also!
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!

Return to “Lounge”