What is your religion?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
greentara

What is your religion?

Post by greentara »

What is your religion is a common question asked. In India it's easy to become spiritually promiscuous. To view a rupa of the Buddha, to then enter a mosque, watch the rituals in a Seik temple and then stand in front of the dancing Nataraja. You can bow or worship everywhere as where ever you go there seems to be a shrine or nook where devotion or meditation is taking place. Does this make the heart expand or is one being too expansive or perhaps too loose?
plwk

Re: What is your religion?

Post by plwk »

What is your religion? This
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

A lot of polytheist cultures are like.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
greentara

Post by greentara »

plwk, Tok Pisin is the dialect of Melanesian Pidgin spoken by more than 2.5 million people in Papua New Guinea. It's used in the broadcast and print media, and in parliamentary debate. It's quite amazing to read the bible in pidgin English/Tok Pisin. I managed to get my hands on a pidgin English bible years ago and it was wonderful reading, great stuff.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I once watched a show on tv about Philippine merchant seamen and a nun in Australia that helped them in conjunction with the austalian maritime union. In one episode a sailor showed her his alter in his cabin, it contained a crucifix, a Buddha statue and a copy of the Koran. When the nun asked him why he said "sister, when that sea gets rough, you'll have a little bit each-way too. I always liked that answer.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

I once watched a show on tv about Philippine merchant seamen and a nun in Australia that helped them in conjunction with the austalian maritime union. In one episode a sailor showed her his alter in his cabin, it contained a crucifix, a Buddha statue and a copy of the Koran. When the nun asked him why he said "sister, when that sea gets rough, you'll have a little bit each-way too. I always liked that answer.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

And when things go smoothly which is his refuge then ? Paradoxically that's the real test.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
lobster

Post by lobster »

Does this make the heart expand or is one being too expansive or perhaps too loose?
Depends where you are. Fanatically dharmic or a slacker from the
'Church of the SubGenius' or vice versa . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius

People love labels. Personally I follow the Groucho school of 'club' membership:
I Don’t Want to Belong to Any Club That Will Accept Me as a Member
:shrug:
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

greentara wrote:Does this make the heart expand or is one being too expansive or perhaps too loose?
I think it depends on the individual. Some people are capable of taking a broad view, seeing everything as different versions of one thing and making it work. Some people get confused with too many options and need to adhere to one discipline. I'm the former... I take a broad view. I'm an unabashed universalist syncretic henotheist, specifically a Hindu-Buddhist-Daoist Syncretic Henotheist. It works for me.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya

Return to “Lounge”