Edward Bach

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Edward Bach

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I don't buy into homeopathy necessarily, but I also am very distrustful of the "it's just placebo" argument against anything that's no allopathic medicine..since a large number of accepted medical treatments also operate either by "placebo", or by a less-than-well understood mechanism.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Jinzang wrote:
Stewart wrote:I agree, Bach and Homoeopathy are two of my 'pet hates'...I know people who are so defensive, to the point of getting angry, about them....but seriously how does it work?
If you hate them, it sounds like you're the one who's getting angry.
Thanks for your ever patronising reply :smile:

'Pet hate' is a common phrase illustrating how much you dislike something.... I'm neither angry or actually hateful... Although I do have many afflictions... I'm not going to pretend I don't or pretend I am accepting of everything... That would just be dishonest.
s.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

If you hate them, it sounds like you're the one who's getting angry.[/quote]

Thanks for your ever patronising reply :smile:
[/quote]

I've had some pretty patronizing comments directed at me on this thread, myself. We should all be able to disagree on a minor matter like this without sneering.

I don't think anyone necessarily has to buy into Bach's claims, which may well be fallacious, but with most people reading this presumably open to the idea that things outside of currently understood science can have effects beyond placebo or chance, I'd argue its worth inquiring, and being open, as to the truth of a variety of unusual claims, whatever one's ultimate conclusions.

To put it another way, if you think the effects of Bach's are always placebo, how often do you think people's experience with the blessings of their guru and lineage is placebo?
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

With respect you are, once again putting words in my mouth... I have never mentioned placebos specifically, someone else said that.

I just think it's another one of those things that you have to be a bit naive to emotionally invest in it.. That's just my opinion... Personally I feel there is a world of difference between reiki/homeopathy/bach/etc and the authentic transmission of Dzogchen or Mahamudra. My reasons for this conclusion is I have seen a definite impact on my afflictions... As I said I am still rife with them.. But there has been a concrete change in me as a result of putting trust in my Gurus... This isn't a flash in the pan placebo... This is the real deal. Simon knows what I mean... Anyone who has sincerely applied themselves beyond book study and bs knows what I'm getting at.
s.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Stewart wrote:With respect you are, once again putting words in my mouth... I have never mentioned placebos specifically, someone else said that.

I just think it's another one of those things that you have to be a bit naive to emotionally invest in it.. That's just my opinion... Personally I feel there is a world of difference between reiki/homeopathy/bach/etc and the authentic transmission of Dzogchen or Mahamudra. My reasons for this conclusion is I have seen a definite impact on my afflictions... As I said I am still rife with them.. But there has been a concrete change in me as a result of putting trust in my Gurus... This isn't a flash in the pan placebo... This is the real deal. Simon knows what I mean... Anyone who has sincerely applied themselves beyond book study and bs knows what I'm getting at.

To be clear, I wasn't referencing you in particular when I mentioned placebo. I think I was actually the first person to use that word on this thread; I was (sloppily) using the word "you" in the generic. I should have written "if one thinks..." or some such.

For the record, I think one's faith is much better placed in Dzogchen or any school of dharma than flower remedies, etc. (I've already given one example earlier on this thread why it would be untrue to my lived experience to suggest that seemingly non-scientifically measurable aspects of Tibetan Buddhism are simply placebo.)

Return to “Lounge”