YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Aussie Monk wanted - Dhamma Wheel

Aussie Monk wanted

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
pilgrim

Aussie Monk wanted

Postby pilgrim » Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm

I found this advert to be interesting.:
Position available for monk or nun
The ethnic Karen Burmese Buddhist monastery in Bendigo is inviting one or more Australian Buddhist monks or nuns to join our community.
We are a Theravada Buddhist community with a strong culture of providing daily support to monks and nuns. The monastery is the centre of community life. More information about the Karen community is online at http://www.karen.org.au

We are able to offer free accommodation in the monastery, three meals a day, and other support offered by the Karen community.
A monk or nun ordained in Theravada, Mahayana, or Tibetan traditions would be equally welcome. The Dalai Lama has suggested that monks and nuns spend half of their time on their spiritual practice, and half their time serving the community.
Following the Dalai Lama’s advice, we would encourage the monk or nun who joins our community to spend three or four days each week on their spiritual practice, and three of four days each week assisting newly arrived ethnic Karen Burmese refugees in Bendigo.
This may include:
 Helping Karen refugee children and adults practising their English
 Helping newly refugees enrol in school or attend doctor’s appointments
 Acting as a link and increasing Karen community involvement in the Atisha Centre
 Helping teach Buddhism and meditation to children
The monk or nun would be able to attend teachings and pujas at the Atisha Centre which is just outside of Bendigo, if they wish. As we hope the monk or nun will be a bridge between the Atisha Centre community and the Karen community, they should not be a current Shugden practitioner.
They would also have the opportunity to study at Bendigo TAFE or Latrobe University.
For further information please contact Venerable Ashin Moonieinda on 0435 200 752 or email
[email protected]

http://www.karen.org.au/docs/monk-nun-ad.pdf

Dan74

Re: Aussie Monk wanted

Postby Dan74 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:21 pm

A friend of mine worked with that community. I think it would be a lovely opportunity for a seasoned monastic who wanted to contribute in this way.
_/|\_

Ben

Re: Aussie Monk wanted

Postby Ben » Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow, I didn't even know they were there. If I did, I would have visited the centre when I lived in central Victoria!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Return to “Lounge”