Beautiful aspects of Arab culture

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Luke

Beautiful aspects of Arab culture

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

It's all too easy to find reasons to hate Arab cultures these days; one need look no further than the daily headlines. But hatred is not Buddhist, and there are some beautiful things which were created by Arabs:
1) qawwali music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pfg2UVx1V4

2) Arab architecture

3) Arab literature, such as "One Thousand and One Nights"

I think it's important to remember that Arabs too are our fellow human beings who possess Buddha-nature and who desire happiness.

It's not fashionable to love Arabs these days, but as Buddhists we must strive to extend our love to all living creatures.

joy&peace

Re: Beautiful aspects of Arab culture

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 am

Hi, Luke, very nice thread.

As Thich Nhat Hanh writes, 'it's possible to live 24 hours a day in a state of love -- every word, every thought, every glance, can be infused with love.'

and also, has many teachings on how to reach it --- a wonderful teacher, by all means.

i also would like to simply share that, among other things -- it's very easy, very normal, and very natural... to be love to people. . .

well - TNH, as Monlam refers to him as at times, writes on Being Peace -- this was very wonderful to see... very transforming.

It makes it easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :meditate: :namaste:

It can be very easy. .. it is as easy as we wish it to be. Anyway just simply sharing, so if someone thinks it's not easy, they have --

as beloved friend Muni writes -- Courage Given!!

Anyway- yes, looking for the good can be a wonderful, very transformational practice in itself...

We create our lives - and the world - by our minds, and once we learn how, it is very easy, to be kindness. . . etc.

As I mentioned, looking for the good - sometimes it takes expanding the mind's horizons a little bit;

Especially & definitely, looking for the beauty, etc....

Here's one, a Sufi singer. .. Amida Parveen -- Kabir sung by her. . . music starts after about a minute, little further --

Amida Parveen

it has mrdangas and a beautiful feel -- so full of love, such depth, and beauty -- fullsomness; beyond beautiful,

May all enjoy.

As Thay writes, 'Love is a practice,' etc. One helpful thing, I believe, I discovered --- I wrote it this way -- how can I see another's heart as beautiful until I see that same beauty in my own?

Of course - naturally, selflessness is helpful -- selflessness is one of the seals of Dharma, etc. . .

As Tara and others write -- Gil among them, I believe -- having a good sense of self is rather necessary before attempting to get to selflessness, etc.

Anyway.

So much peace and love -

J
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

tingdzin

Postby tingdzin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:08 am

Sorry, the Taj Mahal was created by Islamic culture, but not Arab culture, and the two are far from synonymous. The king that built it was a Mughal, meaning a Turko-Mongol who had adopted the high culture of Central Asia, which was mostly Persian in inspiration. A lot of beautiful Muslim culture originated in Central Asia, which had been one of the great civilizations of the world before the Arab conquest, and continued to be so after the arrival of Islam for centuries until Muslim hardliners brought it to its knees and Genghis Khan deivered the coup de grace. If you want an easy-to-read summary of the situation there, try "Lost Enlightenment", a book available on Amazon.

The so-called "Arabian Nights" stories were also Persian in inspiration, although Harun ar-Rashid was an Arab.

I beileve you are on track with qawwali music, however (though I am not a musicologist); it may even have been a strong influence on the African music which evolved into the blues, etc.

smcj

Postby smcj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:16 am

Rum. He was a Sufi. I don't know if they were Arabs.
My posts are for entertainment purposes only. Please don't take anything I say seriously unless you verify it with a real teacher first.

Fortyeightvows

Postby Fortyeightvows » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:08 am

Europe is a good place to be if you love arab culture

pothigai

Postby pothigai » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:15 am

smcj wrote:Rum. He was a Sufi. I don't know if they were Arabs.

He was Persian, from Balkh.

mossy

Postby mossy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Falafels are alright.

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:32 pm

pothigai wrote:
smcj wrote:Rum. He was a Sufi. I don't know if they were Arabs.

He was Persian, from Balkh.

This.

Persians if they are ex-pats. Iranians , if they are still live in Iran ( formerly Persia ) are very keen to distance themselves from things Arabic.. Iranians are mostly Shia. The predominant religion of Saudi and the Gulf states is Sunni.

Q'awwali music is nothing to do with Arabic culture. It is from the Indian subcontinent..mostly Pakistan.

We must be careful that in an attempt to demonstrate our tolerant credentials we do not conflate other people's cultures in a way that they would be offended by.
It's no different to describing St Peter's Rome as a Russian Orthodox building, or Bach chorals as Mormon.

pothigai

Postby pothigai » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Simon E. wrote:Q'awwali music is nothing to do with Arabic culture. It is from the Indian subcontinent..mostly Pakistan.

That's not entirely true, Qawwali music definitely has influences from Arab musical and literary traditions. It's probably just as prominent in the Indian Muslim community as it is in Pakistan, a lot of the important centers of the Chishti Sufi order (closely associated with the Qawwali tradition) are actually in India, Ajmer Sharif and Nizamuddin Dargah being the most notable ones. The 'founder' of the Qawwali tradition, Amir Khusrau was from Delhi.

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Rumi is a good example smcj, as he especially emphasized reality beyond boundaries and divisions; indeed all wisdom traditions from around the globe have some mystics within them who do the same-- to say that all Life is one.

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Please don't attack me for saying this -

Please wake up.

All life is one.

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Peace.

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 pm

pothigai wrote:
Simon E. wrote:Q'awwali music is nothing to do with Arabic culture. It is from the Indian subcontinent..mostly Pakistan.

That's not entirely true, Qawwali music definitely has influences from Arab musical and literary traditions. It's probably just as prominent in the Indian Muslim community as it is in Pakistan, a lot of the important centers of the Chishti Sufi order (closely associated with the Qawwali tradition) are actually in India, Ajmer Sharif and Nizamuddin Dargah being the most notable ones. The 'founder' of the Qawwali tradition, Amir Khusrau was from Delhi.

Thats why I said the Indian subcontinent. You are correct in saying that there are Q'awwali centres in India. I visited the Nizamuddin Dargah two years ago. But those centres are isolated within the larger Hindu community. In parts of Pakistan they are mainstream..
My point is that we need to be careful not to lump a number of different cultural expressions under one umbrella. To do this demonstrates prejudice rather than tolerance.

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

joy&peace wrote:Please don't attack me for saying this -

Please wake up.

All life is one.

I will leave it to others to demonstrate to you that the idea that ' all life is one ' is not a Buddhist teaching... should anyone feel so inclined.

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm

I have offered you great friendship at every opportunity, Simon, and many, many positive, well wishing, so, so very many times,

and received nothing but rejection and insinuations at every step -- and,

That's all okay. I have been attacked a lot at this forum for various views--- even some, or one, very specifically, for you -- the other thread, not a big deal.

Such ways of treating others are not Buddhist and they do cause real-world effects.

I do consider you the same as ever - a light - and I wish you the same as ever - peace, happiness, and success, as these things are the only way to treat people in the world, that makes any sense to me, whatsoever.

You have not - nor could you ever, injure me in any way, shape or form, -- anyway - continually and always, my h'art will be open to you if you wish friendship.

Same to Johnny and anyone else.

As always, and ever.

Peace and love
J

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Ah, you removed the other parts of your post - very well.

They all had to do with along the lines of, simple rejection, for whatever reason, I could not guess.

Anyway - same as ever, I view you as a light - and a good person, and wish you well.

Peace and light,
J

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 pm

No. The points I removed were that I was indifferent to your pov. It is not substantial enough to necessitate rejection.

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Dude, you've created threads on other boards criticizing me. This is not how Buddhists treat each other - not when they are following Dharma.

Look - even if you have attained non-attachment and peace -- so if someone tried to harm you, you will be unharmed--

and as I have continually, and always, offered you friendship, kindness, and respect, May be, one day , you will share some of it in return -

As I have - so do I also wish you all happiness, peace and joy -- with friendship, genuine sincerity, as is the only way it has any meaning, or relevance --

Even if you have attained total peace - no matter what happens, which, as I say, I am always sending wishes for this to all people --

Even if you have -- not all others have; and the way we speak -- others see it -- as a reflection of Buddhist community, of ourselves

and they also pick it up as habits and patterns, because we all affect all other life.

In short - I have received nothing but negativity from you, and offered nothing but positivity; to the best of my ability --

Or - the very kindest thing you have ever said to me is, "I don't care about you at all," which is fine, brother, but that's not Buddhist.

And will continually and always do so.

Peace,
J

DGA
Former staff member

Postby DGA » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:12 pm

If we're talking about culture, I think we have to talk about foodways. Arab cuisines are highly sophisticated and creative--and delicious in ways that consumers of factory-made hummus might not expect. Three cheers for all the different things that can be made with honey...
DGA's PhD dissertation, a history of "mindfulness," is available here:

https://www.academia.edu/25482900/WHAT_ ... _OF_STRESS

joy&peace

Postby joy&peace » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 pm

Very nice.

And I must say, falafales as well, as a poster above -- wonderful.

Good point, bringing it to food, beloved friend.

Namaste; peace and love,
J

Return to “Lounge”