Fur flies over call to rid New Zealand of cats

Anything goes (almost).

Fur flies over call to rid New Zealand of cats

Postby plwk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 pm

A campaign to eradicate New Zealand’s cats as a way of protecting native wildlife has raised the hackles of pet lovers, with critics leaping to the defence of their feline friends. Gareth Morgan, a businessman turned philanthropist, has called for New Zealanders to give puss the boot, citing research showing the average cat kills at least 13 native birds or animals each year. More here
plwk

Re: Fur flies over call to rid New Zealand of cats

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm

I believe that his thinking is justified. Aotearoa has many rare and unique birds that developed in an environment where they had no natural predators. That means that many of them are completely incapable of dealing with predators. There are also many types of flightless birds in Aotearoa too. Aotearoa also has many reptiles (though no snakes)

When i was a child living in Aotearoa I had the great fortune of being taken to an island bird sancutary. They had managed to keep all introduced predators (that includes rats, mice, foxes and possums) off the island and the range of bird types living there was incredible.

I think that if people want to keep cats (in general and not just i countries where they are an introduced species) they should be more responsible, especially not allowing them to breed indiscriminately.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cats. But, when you consider that every single one of my cats was a stray that had been abandoned to die when a kitten well...
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Return to Lounge