Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:21 pm 

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.
Thank you for the conversation.... & I will check out the link you sent in a moment - thank you, gregkavarnos...

I would just like to explain my situation - i did have a teacher with whom I emailed for a few years, they suggested books for me to read and practices I might work with, gave suggestions, hints, and hidden help. I could always ask questions, explain my progress, and report any weird and wonderful side effects without worrying that i should not speak about things - but they have since moved on to their next life and I therefore have noone I can now discuss my progress/practice with, having studied online only, rather than within a conventional group, there are no fellow students/traditional sangha. Since some strange goings on are going on, I am writing them down and going over them, but am not knowing who to speak with at the current time.

I will continue with the practices suggested to me - but i feel I would like to discuss certain things with someone that is 'ahead of me' on the path - or at least others at the same level who might experience similar side effects. Because the actual practice I am working with is not secret, yet discussing the progress and side effects might be, it is hard to know with whom i can discuss matters...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:32 pm 

Madeliaette wrote:
Thank you for the conversation.... & I will check out the link you sent in a moment - thank you, gregkavarnos...

I would just like to explain my situation - i did have a teacher with whom I emailed for a few years, they suggested books for me to read and practices I might work with, gave suggestions, hints, and hidden help. I could always ask questions, explain my progress, and report any weird and wonderful side effects without worrying that i should not speak about things - but they have since moved on to their next life and I therefore have noone I can now discuss my progress/practice with, having studied online only, rather than within a conventional group, there are no fellow students/traditional sangha. Since some strange goings on are going on, I am writing them down and going over them, but am not knowing who to speak with at the current time.

I will continue with the practices suggested to me - but i feel I would like to discuss certain things with someone that is 'ahead of me' on the path - or at least others at the same level who might experience similar side effects. Because the actual practice I am working with is not secret, yet discussing the progress and side effects might be, it is hard to know with whom i can discuss matters...

In my opinion you would be taking a chance doing this online, you may get an inconsistency in answers and this could lead to more confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 am 

I assume the OP follows the Vajrayana school. I don't think that the teachings can "harm" people, but if your guru asked you to keep them secret, it would be best to honor his or her's wishes.

I replied. "Wanting to be reborn is like wanting to stay in a jail cell, when you have the chance to go free and experience the whole wide world. Does a convict, on being freed from his shabby, constricting, little cell, suddenly say "I really want to go back to jail and be put in a cell. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to come back. Who wouldn't want that?"