Tibetan Prayer Flags

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Tibetan Prayer Flags

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've received some Tibetan prayer flags as a gift, and I was wondering if there are any protocols for hanging them up? Possibly there is some auspicious or inauspicious way to go about it? Where would be a suitable place to hang them? Traditionally they're hung up outdoors, yes? etc.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
KathyLauren

Re: Tibetan Prayer Flags

Post by KathyLauren »

Hi, Retro. Traditionally, they are hung outdoors, in a place where they are highly visible, and preferably where they will catch a lot of wind. The wind blows the prayers and blessings from the flags to sentient beings elsewhere, so the more wind, the better. That is why they are often seen at mountain passes in the Himalayas.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I've received some Tibetan prayer flags as a gift, and I was wondering if there are any protocols for hanging them up? Possibly there is some auspicious or inauspicious way to go about it? Where would be a suitable place to hang them? Traditionally they're hung up outdoors, yes? etc.

Metta,

Hi Retro

Here is a link which you might find useful regarding when to hang Prayer Flags

Also, taken from wiki:-
Symbolism and Tradition

Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags do not carry prayers to 'gods,' a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. Therefore, prayer flags are thought to bring benefit to all.

By hanging flags in high places the "Wind Horse" will carry the blessings depicted on the flags to all beings. As wind passes over the surface of the flags which are sensitive to the slightest movement of the wind, the air is purified and sanctified by the Mantras.

The prayers of a flag become a permanent part of the universe as the images fade from exposure to the elements. Just as life moves on and is replaced by new life, Tibetans renew their hopes for the world by continually mounting new flags alongside the old. This act symbolizes a welcoming of life changes and an acknowledgment that all beings are part of a greater ongoing cycle.

Timing of Hanging and Taking Down

Some believe that if the flags are hung on inauspicious astrological dates, they may bring negative results for as long as they are flying.

The best times to put up new prayer flags are in the mornings on sunny, windy days.
regards,

rt
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for the info!

Metta,
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I would like to know a little more about prayer flags. How does the symbology work?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Here are mine. :smile:

All the passerbys get to see them.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm a bit worried that hanging them up publicly in the area I live might be a bit of an invitation for people to vandalize the house or something... so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Metta,
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I'm a bit worried that hanging them up publicly in the area I live might be a bit of an invitation for people to vandalize the house or something... so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Metta,
A neighbour might show up out of nowhere too and say, "Hey I didn't know you were Buddhist! Me too! You want to come over for dinner sometime?"
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

So you just put a prayer on a piece of cloth and fly it? Or is there more to it?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've managed to find somewhere for them that seems to have a moderate balance of:

- Traditional / intended location
- Not annoying the wife
- Somewhat visible to passers by (especially in Winter)
- ... but not enough to get the house targeted.

May there be auspiciousness!

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Metta,

Return to “Lounge”