Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Greg_the_poet

Eckhart Tolle

Post by Greg_the_poet »

I've come across more than a few Buddhists who seem to get quite threatened when you mention the name Eckhart Tolle. They seems to think he's just repakaging Buddhism while pretending to be unique in his method. At times he DOES sound very Buddhist, but I don't think he's pretending to be anything other than true to his own experience, and I think he does truly care about helping people find there true nature, what we'd call Buddha Nature.
I believe people who scorn at Eckhart Tolle perhaps have some attachment issues towards the Dharma, which isn't very Buddhist in my opinion.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Eckhart Tolle

Post by DGA »

Greg_the_poet wrote:I've come across more than a few Buddhists who seem to get quite threatened when you mention the name Eckhart Tolle. They seems to think he's just repakaging Buddhism while pretending to be unique in his method.
Do you have any examples substantiating either of these claims? I've seen more evidence to the contrary: most Buddhists who have bothered to read some of his material seem to find it rather banal, and hardly threatening. Further, it seems less to be repackaged Buddhism than new-age tropes expressed in nominally Buddhist diction.
At times he DOES sound very Buddhist, but I don't think he's pretending to be anything other than true to his own experience, and I think he does truly care about helping people find there true nature, what we'd call Buddha Nature.
I believe people who scorn at Eckhart Tolle perhaps have some attachment issues towards the Dharma, which isn't very Buddhist in my opinion.
I'm skeptical of his work not because it's poor Dharma, but because it's boring, thin, and textureless. Do you have some evidence, also, for your claim that the rejection of Tolle you notice among Buddhists is due to some kind of attachment to Buddhist formalities or doctrines, rather than a reasonable response to a mass-cultural product?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I have no obsession with Buddhism. I am a recovering Buddhistaholic. One day at a time.
It seems all too clear to me that Tolle has one BIg Idea which is both unoriginal and shallow and that he is milking it dry.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Topic moved to the Lounge because the Dharma-free-for-all forum is for:
No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc.
Regards.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Because he has been successful and doesn't self-identify as Buddhist, some who do and who feel that Buddhism deserves that same success are critical of him. Usually the criticism only comes out when you ask about him. Most Buddhists don't go around denouncing Eckhart Tolle.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Well, probably he is trying to help people, and probably according to his own experience. And thats good, if he really is interested on helping and 0% interested on money (by selling books, doing seminars...). I cant answer about that, but since he doesnt teach dharma and since his teachings seems like a mix of crap+new age and a little of Dharma, i am not interested on his teachings. My only spiritual needs are just for Dharma, be it Theravada, Mahayana, Pure Land... BUDDHA teachings.
Paul

Post by Paul »

From what little I've read & seen, he seems to be a genuine guy who has some genuine experiences of some sort.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
greentara

Post by greentara »

My 'beef' with Tolle is not so much the repackaging of advaita and buddhism to suit Oprah and her over excited audience. Many view his materialism...charging big bucks for everything. Satsangs, retreats, cost a fortune to attend. I'm not even vaguely interested in a teacher who's interest in a lavish lifestyle.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

He's a very clever businessman. Kind of like Deepak Chopra.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

He has business sense, yup. And he is not a lama, monk or Buddhist teacher.What I like about him is that he is introducing large numbers of people to Buddhist ideas. Along with his own ideas, that is. I think he serves the Buddhist community quite well, even if it is unintentional.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

For some people their karma will only permit them to be introduced to the form and level of Dharma that Tolle presents. For them its beneficial. While you may think that a more authentic Buddhist Dharma would be beneficial for these people, the fact is that many of them certainly have the opportunity to study Buddhism, they know its out there, they have known Buddhists, its no secret. Why then does their karma prevent them from doing that, and instead causes them to attach to a figure like Tolle?

I've known a few people who prefer this style of spiritual pursuit. For them this new age type of stuff is actually the beginning point of their path. For them this *is* their encounter with the Dharma in this life. This is exactly what the teachings describe when they speak of peoples capacity and karma determining their Dharma practice, and is also why its said that we are fortunate to have found an authentic Dharma and Dharma teacher.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

many people, many stages, many ways, many paths to insight of self.

Tolle has his place, like any number of others who also have marketed themselves some positive techniques to help people let go a little bit of their own clinging or self-importance. Like catmoon says, he serves the buddhist community even if unintentionally in that some people actually came to the dharma by accidentally stumbling upon figures like Tolle. I'm one of them. I'm not this huge fan, but someone gave me a book, and the ideas proposed were curious, resonated with some things, and then there I was on e-sangha learning about dharma. And then... well, soon after I took refuge, found a teacher, blah blah blah.

Many people, many stages, many way, many paths to insight of self. It's all subject to change and it's all a stepping stone in the long long long long journey. I mean I did outgrow the simple concepts of what he presented in about three days... but... He has his place, regardless of his intentions or business sense. His product has the merit of making people who know nothing of dharma at least buddhist-curious. What have YOU done lately?! :tongue: just playin' - ... :group:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

It's common for people to criticize T. Lobsang Rampa and dismiss him as a fraud and charlatan which he undoubtedly was and yet the number of people whose interest in dharma was triggered by reading his books is astonishing....
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

catmoon wrote:He has business sense, yup. And he is not a lama, monk or Buddhist teacher.What I like about him is that he is introducing large numbers of people to Buddhist ideas. Along with his own ideas, that is. I think he serves the Buddhist community quite well, even if it is unintentional.
I agree.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

I received "The power of now" as a gift and I read it. It was interesting with his experiences and all but when I was finished I felt that nothing informative was said. But many westerners like new-age stuff as it is soo in fashion and non-traditional.

What bothers me is when Buddhist ideas are served to the people by new-agers, mostly in a watered down form and the essential message is removed. Even if it serves as an introduction to Buddhism, it always seem they mix it with notions of monotheism and therefore is not Buddhism at all. I have seen my new-age friends exploring their spirituality but they want to unify everything in a superficial way. In essence, they get no further on any path because they stick to the feel-good religious ideas and never want the whole picture. In the end, I guess the are still Christians. Excuse my rant, please.
lowlydog

Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Post by lowlydog »

What is the truth about Christmas?

In the history of Christianity, if you believe you are the sole possessor of the truth then that belief has the power to corrupt your actions, even to the point of insanity – whether it’s the Catholic Inquisition or a big shopping spree. The Truth is inseparable from who you are. If you look for it in ideas, beliefs, or even gifts from the store, you will be deceived every time.

The true meaning of Christmas is that the very Being that you are is Truth. This is what Jesus meant when he said, “I am the way and the truth and the life.”

Jesus speaks of the inner essence identity of every human being. Some Christian writers call this the “Christ within”. The real meaning of Christmas is to find that essential self that is universally experienced as the Christ within no matter what your cultural or religious upbringing is. As we approach the ceremonial date of the birth of Christ and as many of you gather with friends and family, perhaps standing in the silence of the Christ within can keep bringing you back to Being - the eternal life that Christ promised human kind.

I find this very Buddhist. :smile:

*As Eckhart has been said to have found alot of his teachings from the Zen tradition I placed this here, no disrespect intended. Feel free to move this if it is not appropriate.
songhill

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Post by songhill »

Celebrating Saint Nicholas of the Nicolaites (on December 6th) can be a wonderful time. The Nicolaites taught the only way to salvation lay through frequent sexual intercourse.
futerko

Post by futerko »

songhill wrote:Celebrating Saint Nicholas of the Nicolaites (on December 6th) can be a wonderful time. The Nicolaites taught the only way to salvation lay through frequent sexual intercourse.
Are you saying that Santa comes more than once a year?!? :spy:
greentara

Post by greentara »

Eckhart Tolle has been heavily influenced by the buddha and advaita although he'd never admit to it. Joining forces with Oprah it's become a well publicized business and he's raking it in!
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

futerko wrote:
songhill wrote:Celebrating Saint Nicholas of the Nicolaites (on December 6th) can be a wonderful time. The Nicolaites taught the only way to salvation lay through frequent sexual intercourse.
Are you saying that Santa comes more than once a year?!? :spy:

Omg you guys. Harrrumph.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Return to “Lounge”