What was your first memory of the Buddha?

Anything goes (almost).

What was your first memory of the Buddha?

Postby DaftChris » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 am

I remember when I was younger, my mom used to have her friend's mom (who was Japanese) look after me when she went to work or school. She was a nice woman, lived in a good neighborhood and had plenty of stories to tell. I liked going over there...except for one thing.

I was not a very tall child and the first thing you see when you enter her house is a very tall, VERY frightening, laughing Buddha statue. When I first entered her house, I had my back to the rest of the house; and when I turned around, I was taken aback and just froze in my place. I was a little scared of it, but also very fascinated by it. I guess it was the beginning of my interest in Buddhism and of eastern religion in general.

How about the rest of you?

:buddha1:
DaftChris

Re: What was your first memory of the Buddha?

Postby Ayu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 am

I can't remember when i came in touch with Buddha for the first time.
But when I read the book from Thich Nath Hanh "Old path white clouds: Walking in the footsteps of the Buddha" (in German: "Wie Siddhartha zum Buddha wurde") i felt like knowing him like a very good friend.
When he died in the book he said to Ananda "Don't cry" - but i could understand Ananda best. I had to cry long time and felt like an real near friend has faded away.
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby kirtu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 am

I first saw Buddhas in movies when I was 7 or 8. There was actually a Tarzan movie that dealt with reincarnate Buddhist masters in the form of a young boy that I saw (literally no one else in my neighborhood [which was then part of Ramstein Airbase] liked this movie). Later when I was 10-11, I was somehow left alone in my Great Aunts/Uncles huge house in Asheville, NC. I was watching TV and the great movie "Harp of Burma" came on. I was quite absorbed with the notion expressed by the Burmese monk of "Buddha's Land" and Buddha. So that was the beginning.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 am

I recall seeing a cinema Chinese movie back in the end of the 70s or early 80s with my family when I was very young though my memory doesn't recall the movie title but until today I still have a scene where it shows a man falling off a mountain cliff but managed to catch on a tree root or vine and he calls out to the Buddha and lo and behold a golden Buddha comes down from the sky like a huge figure dwarfing everything else and stops just above the cliff and extends out a golden thread for the man to lift him up.... :lol:
And at that age, I asked my Christian mom in amazement, 'Wah Mommy, can Buddha do that?' She was like ;)

If anyone remembers this old Chinese movie title, lemme know...

Thus Have I Seen.... :mrgreen:
plwk

Return to Lounge