Legend Of Guan-Yin Goddess Of Mercy In China

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
tidathep

Re: Legend Of Guan-Yin Goddess Of Mercy In China

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka :hi:

This story is kind of strange...but fun to read. I wish I could find Thai stories about Guanyin. Lately, I read an article about Chinese entertainers went to Puket, Thailand to perform a play, they fell in love with the beaches/town, so they decided to settle down in Puket and built a big Guanyin Temple/statues there. When I was young, I only know the Guanyin Temple at Mount Sam-Mook, Bang-Saen, Thailand that situated on a mountain right on the beach where I could watch whales playing not so far away from the shore. And the temple was surrounded by many many monkies...1 of them snatched my red silky blanket and ran away! But a Chinese nun gave me a jade bracelet..why? Because I was such a cute babe! :tongue:

เจ้าแม่กวนอิม Guanyin and Chen Jinggu
[Wikipedia]

When the people of Quanzhou, Fujian could not raise enough money to build a bridge, Guanyin changed into a beautiful maiden. Getting on a boat, she offered to marry any man who could hit her with a piece of silver from the edge of the water. Due to many people missing, she collected a large sum of money in her boat. However, Lü Dongbin, one of the Eight Immortals, helped a merchant hit Guanyin in the hair with silver powder, which floated away in the water. Guanyin bit her finger and a drop of blood fell into the water, but she vanished. This blood was swallowed by a washer woman, who gave birth to Chen Jinggu (陈靖姑) or Lady Linshui (临水夫人); the hair was turned into a female white snake and sexually used men and killed rival women. The snake and Chen were to be mortal enemies. The merchant was sent to be reborn as Liu Qi (刘杞).

Chen was a beautiful and talented girl, but did not wish to marry Liu Qi. Instead, she fled to Mount Lu in Jiangxi, where she learned many Taoist skills. Destiny eventually caused her to marry Liu and she became pregnant. A drought in Fujian caused many people to ask her to call for rain, which was a ritual that could not be performed while pregnant. She temporarily aborted her child, which was killed by the white snake. Chen managed to kill the snake with a sword, but died either of a miscarriage or hemorrhage; she was able to complete the ritual, and ended drought.

This story is popular in Zhejiang, Taiwan, and especially Fujian.

tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka :hi:

I don't know much about Vietnam eventhough Vietnam is so close to Thailand. When I worked with Thai Inter Airways, we flew to Saigon, but it was just transit 40mins at the airport.

Vietnamese Temple: Male and Female Spiritual Icons

The story of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbHYADrbCg

Quan Am Thi Kinh : Guanyin In Vietnam
[Wikipedia]

Quan Am Thi Kinh (觀音氏敬) is a Vietnamese verse recounting the life of lady, Thi Kinh, who was accused falsely of having intended to kill her husband, and when she disguised herself as a man to lead a religious life in a Buddhist temple, she was again falsely blamed for having committed sexual intercourse with a girl and having made her pregnant, which was strictly forbidden by Buddhist law, but thanks to her endurance of all indignities and her spirit of self-sacrifice, she could enter into Nirvana and became Goddess of Mercy.

Guanyin and vegetarianism

Due to her symbolization of compassion, in East Asia Guanyin is associated with vegetarianism. Chinese vegetarian restaurants are generally decorated with her image, and she appears in most Buddhist vegetarian pamphlets and magazines.

tidathep :reading:
reddust

Post by reddust »

One of my first loves when I started exploring divine compassion :namaste:
Thank you Tidathep, I hadn't thought of her for some time.
kwanyin2.jpg
Never will I seek nor receive private, individual salvation;
Never will I enter into final peace alone; but forever and everywhere,
Will I live and strive for the redemption of every creature
Kwan Yin's Pledge
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

I am feeling a very strong connection to Guanyin, like I am awakening to her compassion as my divine mother.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Very awesome. Have had a great appreciation for Guanyin, over the years shifted more to Amida Buddha, yet this was very great to see, Serenity; thank you for sharing this.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

The way I see it is that Guanyin embodies the compassion of Amida Buddha, and therefore they are inseparable. As they say in China, "Amitabha in every place, Guanyin in every house." I was at the bus stop today after a doctor appointment, singing to my 18-month-old, "Guan Shi Yin Pusa."

One thing I'm hoping is that expressing devotion to Guanyin will help me to have more appreciation for women, especially my wife and two daughters. I also feel that some sort of need is being met within myself in being able to relate to Buddhahood in a female form.

Return to “Lounge”