Richard Dawkins and the Dalai Lama on religion

Anything goes (almost).

Richard Dawkins and the Dalai Lama on religion

Postby plwk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 am

The Dalai Lama and Richard Dawkins may not have much in common – one is a world-renowned spiritual leader and the other a Tibetan monk – but both of them seem to think we can manage in a world without religion.
Read on...
plwk

Re: Richard Dawkins and the Dalai Lama on religion

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 am

What a silly piece. Sometimes the Guardian disappoints sorely - as do some articles on HP:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-der ... 85346.html

Straw men, manipulations and misreadings abound. Also, it's funny to hear Christian apologetics point out the grave problems HHDL 'has' in his own backyard - or read that one of the dangers of ditching religion for spirituality is that the latter may turn into commodity, and the whole Spiritual Quest become a marketplace. Unlike, it is implied, the good old religion, of course.

And there's something deeply wrong with praising the Christian world for giving us feminist theology, liberation theology and some such, isn't there? I mean, sure they deserve praise, and yes, they wouldn't be here without the aforementioned Christian world, but...
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby viniketa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:07 pm

plwk wrote:[i]The Dalai Lama and Richard Dawkins may not have much in common – one is a world-renowned spiritual leader and the other a Tibetan monk...

I'm stuck trying to figure out when Richard Dawkins became either a world-renowned spiritual leader or a Tibetan monk... :thinking:

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:11 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:What a silly piece. Sometimes the Guardian disappoints sorely - as do some articles on HP:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-der ... 85346.html

Straw men, manipulations and misreadings abound. Also, it's funny to hear Christian apologetics point out the grave problems HHDL 'has' in his own backyard - or read that one of the dangers of ditching religion for spirituality is that the latter may turn into commodity, and the whole Spiritual Quest become a marketplace. Unlike, it is implied, the good old religion, of course.

And there's something deeply wrong with praising the Christian world for giving us feminist theology, liberation theology and some such, isn't there? I mean, sure they deserve praise, and yes, they wouldn't be here without the aforementioned Christian world, but...

Apologists, not apologetics. That's what happens when you try to wake up by posting.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Return to Lounge