Buddhist Marriage ceremony

Anything goes (almost).

Buddhist Marriage ceremony

Postby NIRMAL2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm

The Buddha has said, "If a man can find a suitable and understanding wife and a woman can find a suitable and understanding husband, both are fortunate indeed."

Marriage Ceremony

Although wedding ceremonies have always been regarded as secular affairs in Buddhist countries, the parties concerned have nevertheless obtained the blessing from monks at the local temple after the civil registration formalities have been completed.

In view of the traditional importance that the marriage ceremony has in the West, moreover, local, and especially isolated Buddhists without access to a temple or a monk might well adopt the following service that could be performed by relatives and friends of the bride and groom:

(i) Before a shrine specially erected, complete with a Buddha image, candles and flowers, the bridal couple and assembly should recite the Vandana, Tisarana and Pancasila in English or Pali to be found in the Pali Chanting, with English translations.

[You can download the text and audio files from BuddhaNet's Audio File Library ]

(ii) The couple should light the candles and incense sticks and offers the flowers placing them on and around the table on which stands the image.

(iii) The bride and groom should then, in turn, recite the traditional undertakings expected of them as found in the Sigilovdda Sutta (Digha Nikilya 3 1):

The bridegroom:

"Towards my wife I undertake to love and respect her, be kind and considerate, be faithful, delegate domestic management, provide gifts to please her."

The bride:

"Towards my husband I undertake to perform my household duties efficiently, be hospitable to my in-laws and friends of my husband, be faithful, protect and invest our earnings, discharge my responsibilities lovingly and conscientiously."

(iv) Finally, the assembly or perhaps the parents only, should recite the Mangala Sutta and Jayamangala Gatha as a blessing.
http://www.buddhanet.net/funeral.htm

Buddhist monks who renounce worldly existence do not marry and are celibate. They are not allowed to attend marriage ceremonies and therefore do not perform wedding services. However, they can offer blessings to couples.

There is no official marriage ceremony, and regional customs and practices provide a wide range of ceremonial elements. It is common, however, to include the Homage to the Buddha, "Homage to The Exalted One, The Liberated One, The Fully Enlightened One." The Three Refuges, "I seek refuge in the Enlightened One, Buddha, I seek refuge in the Way to Enlightenment, Dharma, I seek refuge in the Enlightened Community, Sangha," and the recitation of the Five Precepts (see above.)

From the Sigalovada Sutta, the roles and responsibilities are presented and provide a structure for successful married life.

"In five ways... should a wife... be ministered to by a husband:

by being courteous to her
by not despising her
by being faithful to her
by handing over authority to her
by providing her with adornments

The wife, thus ministered to... by her husband shows her compassion to her husband in five ways:

she performs her duties well
she is hospitable to relations and attendants
she is faithful
she protects what he brings
she is skilled and industrious in discharging her duties."
http://www.deaconministry.com/buddhism.htm[/img]

In Buddha's time life's social events were already structured. The Buddha did not have to introduce any ceremonial rites and rituals for people.People could practice Buddhism while maintaining their cultures and as such the Thais, the Sri Lankans, the Myanmar people, the Chinese, and so on, just follow their respective traditional practices. One thing that the newly weds would do was to visit temples for blessings by the monks.The beautiful part of Buddhists is that they are not interested in forcing others to change their religion for the sake of marriage.Buddhists are more interested in sharing the teachings of Lord Buddha and if the other party accepts the teachings, then it is real 'conversion'. Why have one billion followers when only a thousand are practicing?Why have one billion followers when the purpose of Buddhism is not war?

Buddhist Marriages ceremonies, which are one of the simplest possible marriage ceremonies, are on the rise in India due to the little cost involved.

Q: Do you know if it is okay for a Christian to marry a Buddhist?

While no Scripture prohibits this, it’s not necessarily the wisest and best course of action.Paul cautioned Christians: “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? (2 Corinthians 6:14)” Buddhism is not Christian; even morally upright and ethical Buddhists belong to “darkness” since they do not trust in Jesus Christ as Savior.
http://xrysostom.blogspot.com/2006/03/c ... riage.html
Attachments
images buddhist marriage.jpg
images buddhist marriage.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 526 times
index.jpg
index.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 526 times
NIRMAL2

Re: Buddhist Marriage ceremony

Postby Aemilius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 am

In the Vinaya monks are prohibited from attending weddings. "Buddhist marriage" doesn't exist. Marriage is a legal contract, nothing more, but in itself important naturally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_view_of_marriage
svaha
Aemilius

Postby plwk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 am

The Buddha has said, "If a man can find a suitable and understanding wife and a woman can find a suitable and understanding husband, both are fortunate indeed."

Source of quote?
plwk

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am

The ceremony itself looks more like a Hindu ceremony than a Buddhist one, but maybe I'm just going by the Sari.

Edit: Now I see the Buddha statue. Who is the person officiating? It looks like unusual priestly garb.
A foolish man proclaims his qualifications,
A wise man keeps them secret within.
A straw floats on the surface of water,
But a precious gem placed upon it sinks to the depths
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Return to Lounge