Museum of Compassion

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Museum of Compassion

Postby marina » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi,
I"m new at forum, but it looks to me like a proper place to ask
I would like to ask your opinion about the idea to create "Museum of Compassion". The Museum could include various materials (stories, pictures, music...) about manifestation of infinity senses like grattitude, generosity, passion, compassion in different aspects of our life: in nature, in family,about people that helped to our world, or any other possible directions. Will be thankful for forum feedback and suggestions
marina

Re: Museum of Compassion

Postby ronnewmexico » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Sounds like a excellent idea to me. I would research completely to find if this is not being done somewhere someplace in the world right now. If not....excellent, a excellent idea.

That is my opinion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby Karma Sonam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Would this be a "Virtual" museum? Anyhoo, no matter, I think it is a great idea. :twothumbsup:
Be the sky, not the weather.
and the monkey pushed the button.[/color]
Karma Sonam

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Excellent! I would love to visit such a museum :thumbsup:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Sounds good. The world can always use more positive energy.

Luke

Postby marina » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks a lot for feedback!
I did quick search on Internet and did not found something similar. It might exist under different name but I think it is ok if there is another such place in the world.
It might be virtual or real or both - it depends from people that participate, from type of materials, exhibitions, from amount of money collected. For now it is just an idea that need to grow and might receive any acceptable form.
Laura, you wrote that you would love to visit such museum, but would you love to participate in it creation? The same question for all participants of forum - do you fill that it is a proper place for discussions about how such Museum could looks, proposals, collecting materials , anything that might help to create it?
If yes, probably we can start to discuss what it could be here, on forum?
marina

Postby ronnewmexico » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:51 pm

To my limited experience the principal issue with things of this sort is funding. The first step is to extablish a initial primer or presentable media that explains the issue and next a list of targets for funding must be established. Once established that issue must be displayed to potential sources of revenue. Once revenue and continual revenue is established the rest falls into place eventually.

This is why government entities and charitable organizations normally initiate and maintain museums.

No offense, it is a great idea, but seems to my opinion in these difficult economic times unworkable at the personal nonaffiliated level.

A particular temple in which one is a member may perhaps sponsor such a thing as a addon to a bookstore or some such, that may be a potential target. But beyond that it seems very very difficult. Museum typically have floating or moving displays that go from museum to museum with their wares. Perhaps that may be easier. If that is considered, a local museum staff member where you live may advise you on how to proceed. Occasionally commercial art galaries have similiar themed presentation areas of temporary nature for display of wares.

Just my personal opinion.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby marina » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:36 pm

You are right, the founds might be a problem. But it depends of how it is done. For now the Museum of Compassion is on the stage of initiative , the purpose of it is to study compassion as one of the main treasures of people's experience. For now we are trying first to found people that are interested to participate and contribute time and ideas to the work on "Museum". From there it would be more clear which form it will receive and which content. Some forms, like Internet doesn't require much money.
marina

Postby kirtu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 pm

marina wrote:You are right, the founds might be a problem. But it depends of how it is done.

There are many small private museums around the world. The Museum of Holography on both NYC and Amsterdam began like this and there was a small museum run by one man many years ago in Germany dedicated to the Battle of the Huertgen Forest (a later battle/small campaign in western Germany often listed as one of the terminating battles in the Battle of the Bulge). Run totally on a shoe string and pre-Web they were.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Personal Experience