Wheel of life: My own encounter with the Noble Truths

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Wheel of life: My own encounter with the Noble Truths

Postby Sonrisa » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:17 pm

The first two noble truths say:

- There is suffering in life

- Suffering is caused by attachment

While contemplating the wheel of life mandala, I saw that greed, hatred, and ignorance are what keeps us trapped in the cycle of samsara. I was angry and hateful toward someone whom I once held dear that has wronged me. Trust me, it was not a pretty feeling. Then I tried to calm myself by reminding myself that only Im feeling the fires of my own hatred, he is not feeling the fury of my wrath..only I am. Thus, I am making myself suffer. My attachments to him caused my own "downfall". I quickly realized what it finally meant to let go! I found out that the less and less attachments we have, the less we will suffer. I try not to think of the pain that was caused to me, and by no means, it is not easy. But I think that this is something that takes a lot of strength to do.

Do attachments also come in the form of the three poisons as well? Little by little, compassion for this person was born. He is like me, who suffers in samsara. Sometimes, we are ignorant of the reality. We chase our desires and not know why we suffer. I learned the reality of the four noble truths...the hard way.

Fellow dharma practitioners, where do I go from here?

:buddha1:
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
Sonrisa

Re: Wheel of life: My own encounter with the Noble Truths

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 am

Sonrisa wrote: I learned the reality of the four noble truths...the hard way.
Fellow dharma practitioners, where do I go from here?

The hard way is often how people learn the reality of the four noble truths.
Where do you want to go from here?
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Wheel of life: My own encounter with the Noble Truths

Postby Dechen Norbu » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:57 am

Keep studying and practicing without forcing yourself too much. Be in the company of good friends and family. :smile:
Dechen Norbu

Return to Personal Experience