"So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports,
by logical conjecture,
by agreement through pondering views,
or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher."
When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.
When I was researching on Buddhism (before I became Buddhist -- without any teacher after investigating on my own), I came across so many views that frankly only increases doubt, here are a bunch of them:
1) Buddha became sick and died, so we only have his teachings for a guide and must rely on ourselves. Okay, so I ask those with such views, WHY SHOULD ANYONE THINK TO TAKE REFUGE WITH THIS GUY???? Why is Buddha the supreme refuge???
2) The Dharma ending age means the Dharma no longer works.
3) Since the Dharma is ended, we practice so that someday we can be born when a Buddha is born to attain stream entry.
4) Buddhists shouldn't want to go to heaven because heaven means you lose all your merit. Just having affection for Buddha can not lead to heaven -- you really, really have to love Buddha.
5) Stream entry is very, very hard -- close to impossible in the Dharma ending age.
6) Buddhism is atheistic
7) Buddhism is non-theistic
8) Buddhism has no beliefs
9) Buddhism is nihilistic
10) Buddha was a weak, sickly guy who had to leave home (have you read those annoying Japanese cartoons, with Buddha and his constant running nose??)-- he was suffering from depression and ran away from home!
SO I say to those entertaining Buddhism, or entering Buddhism -- DON'T LISTEN TO BUDDHISTS! Investigate -- meditate and learn the truth yourself on who Buddha is -- the Dharma still works, 2500 years and the Dharma hasn't ended -- and will never end for those who love the teachings -- whether Buddhists want it to work or not!
Buddha didn't hand over Buddhism to ANY teacher, no guru/teacher is in charge of Buddhism, none can give you the Dhama or the Law -- NOW I KNOW THE REASON WHY! Only Buddha is in charge -- THANK GOODNESS!