Beautful Dhammapada!

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Beautful Dhammapada!

Postby sraddha » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:16 am

I found this beautiful gift copy of the Dhammapada! I LOVE IT! It's BEAUTIFUL, it's illustrations and colors are so vibrant!!! I carry it in my purse and read it during lunch or on the subway going to work.

I plan to buy them and give them as a gift to my non-Buddhist nieces for their birthday.

The Way of the Buddha: The Illustrated Dhammapada (Gift Book) (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Buddha-Illustrated-Dhammapada-Gift/dp/0810972956/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246234403&sr=1-13

the only sad part is that it has Max Muller's rather antiquated translation :( , otherwise, it's wonderful, especially if you've already read better translations and are already familiar with the teachings.
sraddha

Re: Beautful Dhammapada!

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:53 am

Greetings sraddha,

If you want physical copies of the Dhammapada for gifts and aren't able to find any free ones, I very strongly recommend this...

http://www.bps.lk/dhammapada.html

It's the translation by Buddharakkhita, which is frankly, the best Dhammapada translation I've ever read. It also comes with an introduction by Bhikkhu Bodhi (which I'll admit I haven't read yet) who is generally very good at framing the teachings. It's also a good price, since BPS are not for profit.

Perhaps not as "pretty" by way of cover art, but I've seen much worse!

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby thornbush » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:08 am

Yes the Dhammapada is still my ever favourite even though I first read it in 1997...
And strangely or 'unstrangely', it's as if, after several readings, I have still not read it at all..... :twothumbsup:
thornbush

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:35 am

Hi Retro,

That's a lovely link :)

Best,
Drolma
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:16 am

Greetings,

The version mentioned above is also available online here...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html

Metta,
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks for all the links!

I'll remember the effects of the Dhammapada forever, it helped my life turnaround in a time I didn't think I could turn my life around. The power of translations! :smile:
sraddha

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:50 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

The version mentioned above is also available online here...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html

Metta,

Very handy, and right in my price range ;)

Best,
Drolma
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am

Has anyone seen the book I have, which is the Gil Fronsdal translation? I wondered how they compared.

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/ ... apada.html

Kind regards,

Dazzle :anjali:
Dazzle

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:07 am

Greetings Dazzle,

Dazzle wrote:Has anyone seen the book I have, which is the Gil Fronsdal translation?

I haven't read it all (only parts here and there in the past) but what I've observed is that he's not very literal with his translations, but unlike most people who aren't literal, he doesn't seem to distort the intent of the verses either. Some translators get too poetic and distort the wisdom of the Buddha's subtleties in speech, such that you hear more of the translator than you do of the Buddha... I don't think Gil Fronsdal makes that mistake.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby Dazzle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:41 pm

Ok, thanks very much for the feedback, Retro.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

:anjali:
Dazzle

Postby sraddha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:48 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Dazzle,

Dazzle wrote:Has anyone seen the book I have, which is the Gil Fronsdal translation?

I haven't read it all (only parts here and there in the past) but what I've observed is that he's not very literal with his translations, but unlike most people who aren't literal, he doesn't seem to distort the intent of the verses either. Some translators get too poetic and distort the wisdom of the Buddha's subtleties in speech, such that you hear more of the translator than you do of the Buddha... I don't think Gil Fronsdal makes that mistake.

Metta,

The problem with most translations is that they either become too poetical or too literal -- and both miss the meaning. That's why I generally like the actual Pali along with the translation...unfortuneatly the gift addition lacks it!

For example, should "mano" be translated as "mind", "heart", "thought"?

I've seen it translated with all three --Which is a better translation of the inherent meaning and intent?

sraddha

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:55 am

Greetings Sraddha,

sraddha wrote:For example, should "mano" be translated as "mind", "heart", "thought"?

Mind would be the least ambiguous translation for mano.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:41 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Sraddha,

sraddha wrote:For example, should "mano" be translated as "mind", "heart", "thought"?

Mind would be the least ambiguous translation for mano.

Metta,

I agree, I generally look at the first verse and see how "mano" is translated, I like the use of mind. I think "heart" is probably the weakest translation.

Read my illustrated Dhammapada again while at lunch today! :jumping:
sraddha

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am

Greetings Sraddha,

I think you'll like this topic over at Dhamma Wheel then!

The first verse of the Dhammapada
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55

Metta,

retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:33 am

Hi Retro,

Thanks for the discussion.

Interestingly, the word "Mano" many times in common usage can mean the connection between heart/mind.

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1804&Itemid=0 in Buddhism heart and mind can both be referred to by the same term (chitta in Sanskrit). Indeed, when Tibetan Buddhists refer to mind, they often point to their chest. Mind in this sense is not thinking mind, but rather big mind—a direct knowing of reality that is basically open and friendly toward what is. Centuries of meditators have found this openness to be the central feature of human consciousness.
sraddha

Postby Dazzle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Indeed, when Tibetan Buddhists refer to mind, they often point to their chest..

I recall in a teaching I once attended, H.E. Tai Situ Rinpoche said : "When we say 'heart' we mean mind. "

Dazzle

Postby sraddha » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:06 am

Dazzle wrote:.

Indeed, when Tibetan Buddhists refer to mind, they often point to their chest..

I recall in a teaching I once attended, H.E. Tai Situ Rinpoche said : "When we say 'heart' we mean mind. "

Interestingly enough, Tibetan Vajrayana practice really works -- the practice of Maitri (I would say cultivating the heart)really does change the mind,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3047291.stm

Buddhists 'really are happier'

Buddhism may be good for your mental health
Scientists say they have evidence to show that Buddhists really are happier and calmer than other people.
Tests carried out in the United States reveal that areas of their brain associated with good mood and positive feelings are more active.

The findings come as another study suggests that Buddhist meditation can help to calm people.

Researchers at University of California San Francisco Medical Centre have found the practise can tame the amygdala, an area of the brain which is the hub of fear memory.

There is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek

Paul Ekman,
University of California San Francisco Medical Centre
They found that experienced Buddhists, who meditate regularly, were less likely to be shocked, flustered, surprised or as angry compared to other people.

Paul Ekman, who carried out the study, said: "The most reasonable hypothesis is that there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek."

Brain activity

In a separate study, scientists at the University of Wisconsin at Madison used new scanning techniques to examine brain activity in a group of Buddhists.

Their tests revealed activity in the left prefrontal lobes of experienced Buddhist practitioners.

This area is linked to positive emotions, self-control and temperament.

Their tests showed this area of the Buddhists' brains are constantly lit up and not just when they are meditating.

sraddha

Return to Personal Experience