Skillfully introducing Dharma to "non-buddhists" ?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Skillfully introducing Dharma to "non-buddhists" ?

Postby AlexanderS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:41 am

I think how I word things to non-buddhists depends entirely on the situation and the person i'm speaking to.
AlexanderS

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm

kirtu wrote:
Alfredo wrote:When they ask you what your religion is, tell them you're Buddhist. If they ask anything else, answer that the best you can. Any hint of "patter" or conversion talk will turn more people off than on.

The following took place in the early/mid-90's in a government building in DC. I had been working there for several years.
Co-worker: "What is your religion?"
Me: "I'm Buddhist."
Co-worker: "No you are not Buddhist!"

She then tried to convert me to Christianity for several years. I had to explicitly tell her to stop at one point.

Kirt

:lol:
Nighthawk

Postby steveb1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 am

kirtu wrote:
Alfredo wrote:When they ask you what your religion is, tell them you're Buddhist. If they ask anything else, answer that the best you can. Any hint of "patter" or conversion talk will turn more people off than on.

The following took place in the early/mid-90's in a government building in DC. I had been working there for several years.

She then tried to convert me to Christianity for several years. I had to explicitly tell her to stop at one point.

Kirt

What a miserable experience. The sheer ego-investment that some people have in their own beliefs is shocking, as is their entirely clueless attempt to correct some "sad deficiency" (such as holding differing beliefs) in others.
steveb1

Postby muni » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 am

Well now Kirts’ post remembers me on a friend who is Jehovah follower and tried many years to convince me to follow as well. Even I often tried to escape in the farmers field but she always learned me there is no thing to hide. She could not talk five minutes longer about daily things since then the bible scripts where me offered. I tried to listen and my mind translated everything in its own colors. She actually learned me that scripts are wonderful guidance in buddhism as well like plans of architects made in summertime to construct a house for the winter.

A skillfully introduction for me.
muni

Postby thigle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 am

Vasana wrote:Skillfully introducing Dharma to "non-buddhists" ?

(A: High capacity)

Neither focus .. nor meditate.

= primordial unfabricated looseness
= transparency/knowledge

(B: Middle capacity)

Task: Don't focus on anything for a while. Now.
[ a f t e r s o m e m i n u t e s ]
Question: Did you focus on "don't focus on anything" or not?
If you focus "don't focusing", you grasp only a reified concept.
Therefore you fall into an fabricated trance,
because you missunderstod the task completely wrong.
This is not about practicing or practiced nonpractice.
Recognice the difference between your practiced task and the factual task
and dont' focus on anything, which is primordial unfabricated looseness.
This is the time of Kaliyuga, the time of great degeneration
thigle

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 am

kirtu wrote:

If someone asked me that question, my response would be 'what do you mean by that?'

If they were to say, 'well what religion do you believe in?', I might say, 'I'm interested in Buddhism and I practice Buddhist meditation, but I don't know if I'm actually "Buddhist" and I don't much like the idea of being "a believer" '.

That seems more in keeping with the nature of Buddhist teaching.

In response to the original post, if you don't feel those whom you're speaking to are receptive about the Four Truths and the basics of Buddhist teaching, then I would just classify them as 'not interested', and not bother. One of the characteristics of Buddhism is that it speaks to those with a genuine desire to understand it; unlike Christianity, it doesn't try to convert people in spite of themselves, 'for their own good'. If they are genuinely interested, they might be ready to listen; if not, move right along.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby Asbestos Buddha » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 am

Ignorance leads to suffering. Suffering leads fear. Fear leads Hate. Hate leads to the Dark Side.

We are perfectly imperfect so Buddha gave us a way out
The Eight Fold Noble Path
To see clearly the human condition
With no hidden agenda
Not too speak falsely or whisper
Acting wisely and not with a twist to
Not too profit from others pain we understand
To be engaged continually
On and off the cushion
We are Aware to
Let go of concepts and refocus

Grace.

_/l\_
Asbestos Buddha

Postby Alfredo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 pm

But only the Sith speak in absolutes!

:thinking:
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Previous

Return to Personal Experience