Re blessing or protection cord received from a Rinpoche

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Postby SeekerNo1000003 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm

I have a question regarding a string received from one's lama.

Recently after receiving flowers, my teacher put a string around my neck. I'm not sure but I believe it may be a protection or a blessing cord. It is multicolored, with red, yellow, black, white and green in it. Another Dharma friend told me that I need to tie a knot in it, and actually did it for me.

Well, when I woke up the next day, the string came apart in one place, and I tied another knot. So now there are two diametrically opposite knots. Maybe this is a silly question, but I wonder if this matters? Has the purpose of the string been defeated by this incident?
SeekerNo1000003

Re: Re blessing or protection cord received from a Rinpoche

Postby pensum » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:42 pm

SeekerNo1000003 wrote:I have a question regarding a string received from one's lama.

Recently after receiving flowers, my teacher put a string around my neck. I'm not sure but I believe it may be a protection or a blessing cord. It is multicolored, with red, yellow, black, white and green in it. Another Dharma friend told me that I need to tie a knot in it, and actually did it for me.

Well, when I woke up the next day, the string came apart in one place, and I tied another knot. So now there are two diametrically opposite knots. Maybe this is a silly question, but I wonder if this matters? Has the purpose of the string been defeated by this incident?

A blessing or protection cord is usually made by the lama reciting mantra and breathing into a knot which he himself ties in the middle of the string (commonly red or multicoloured as you describe) in order to "capture" the blessings/breath. Typically one then wraps the string around one's neck and ties the ends together in order to wear the cord around one's neck with the blessing knot at the back of the neck for protection.
Last edited by pensum on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pensum

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 pm

SeekerNo1000003 wrote: Has the purpose of the string been defeated by this incident?

Nope. It matters knot.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 am

SeekerNo1000003 wrote:Has the purpose of the string been defeated by this incident?
My guess is that it all comes down to whether you belive the purpose has been defeated or knot.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby odysseus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 am

Just wear the cord as long as you like. You can repair it too and make extra knots. It´s a wish of blessings and sign of connection with your own spiritual potential. And you might not forget lama as a representative of Buddha.

:good:
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby SeekerNo1000003 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:02 am

Thank you all for your responses!
I did not realize that the string came with a knot in the first place. I believe that one is intact. I'm certain the purpose of it has knot been defeated. :)
:namaste:
SeekerNo1000003

Return to Personal Experience