Strange dream that lingers still

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Strange dream that lingers still

Postby mettaphysical » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 am

I had been interested in Buddhism for a long time; it speaks directly to me on many levels, but it has never entered my dreams before, until last night.

Last night in fact I had a strange dream: I was speaking before a group of people, which is strange in itself since usually I am the listener and not the speaker when Buddhism is the subject.

But what I said was even stranger: (I paraphrase) “All of you have been looking for something in your life but have never found it. you have glimpsed it or felt it momentarily, but have never been able to fully feel its presence. You have been searching for it a long time: that thing is love. And now i have good news for you: you have found it..”

Everyone’s eyes opened very wide as they listened to my words and I added, “It is I”. My statement created a stir. I only smiled back at their shocked faces.
Then the dream ended.

I am not at all sure what this dream could mean, and I have never had a dream about Buddhism before so it was very interesting.

Perhaps the meaning of the dream is that the love we seek is really in ourselves. Love does not mean finding someone to love you but on the contrary, it means radiating that love to others. My mistake has been confusing subject and object (as I switched listener and speaker in my dream)… anyway this is my interpretation of the dream… (perhaps someone has a better one?)

I have looked through some Buddhist texts on Metta and there are meditation methods and a sutta. but they do not seem to give me what I am looking for. I am looking for a method.

How to be the person in my dream? Because, this is a bit crazy perhaps, but deep in my heart, I would like to be able to say what I said in my dream before a group of people and have it be true: to be love incarnate.

To love all… to banish negativity and hateful thoughts… to truly make every action an act of love… is it really possible? Right now, I cannot say I am the man that can say that. i am assailed by negative thoughts. When my mind wanders I am shocked with how black and sarcastic the thoughts are.

Is there a program for this? It seems to me the key to everything, to enlightenment itself; because if we truly love everyone, then we understand our place in the universe, we know ourselves and all other beings, and we live in the light of metta, i. e. we are enlightened.

If there is no such program, perhaps we could make one?
Thank you for reading this.
mettaphysical

Re: Strange dream that lingers still

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:53 am

Dreams are just dreams, it's always tempting to try to pry some kind of meaning from them, but in the end the only meaning they have is what we ascribe to them. Though they can reflect some of our subconscious thoughts, and desires probably.

How to be the person in my dream? Because, this is a bit crazy perhaps, but deep in my heart, I would like to be able to say what I said in my dream before a group of people and have it be true: to be love incarnate.
To love all… to banish negativity and hateful thoughts… to truly make every action an act of love…

You could say you already are, meaning love is already as much a part of you as anything else, everything is already there. It's really a matter of making those attributes shine in your own life. Strangely enough, how can you love all while attempting to banish thoughts you consider negative and evil? That's already showing disregard to a part of yourself.

Obviously you just have to practice it, towards others and yourself, towards 'evil', towards good, it doesn't really matter how you do it.
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Postby Madeliaette » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Another viewpoint is that your dream is predictive - that at some point in your future, you will be learned enough to be that person in your dream.
Madeliaette

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Lojong is basically such a method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojong

http://www.lojongmindtraining.com/

Check out the site, look up an instructional on Tonglen, and there you go.

The teachings say though that just cultivating compassion and love in a relative sense are not enough, that kind of practice is nearly universal. In Buddhism it has to be joined with the view of emptiness eventually.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Lojong is basically such a method.

The teachings say though that just cultivating compassion and love in a relative sense are not enough, that kind of practice is nearly universal. In Buddhism it has to be joined with the view of emptiness eventually.

Not that a deeper understanding of emptiness isn't required, but compassion already encapsulates emptiness perfectly, you could even say compassion is the practical form of emptiness. Tonglen is an amazing practice though.
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Jesse wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Lojong is basically such a method.

Not that a deeper understanding of emptiness isn't required, but compassion already encapsulates emptiness perfectly, you could even say compassion is the practical form of emptiness. Tonglen is an amazing practice though.

My understanding of the basic Mahayana point of view is that just having compassion and love in a relative sense isn't enough, and isn't the same as the view of emptiness when practiced by itself. That's why the Lojong teachings emphasize the cultivation of both relative and absolute Bodhicitta, again..just cultivating compassion and love in a relative sense is found in a lot of traditions, Buddhism is the only one i'm aware of that joins emptiness and compassion as a larger view.

All just my own understanding of course.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Punya » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:02 pm

mettaphysical wrote:
To love all… to banish negativity and hateful thoughts… to truly make every action an act of love… is it really possible?

You only have to encounter some of the great masters to know it is. I am not a student of this teacher but, as an example, check out the first few minutes of this video (or better still watch the whole lot) to be inspired to follow this path http://www.cultureunplugged.com/documen ... l-Rinpoche.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby Will » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:09 pm

"Their shocked faces" tells a lot - such hutzpah they are thinking.

To radiate love for all other creatures is wonderful and part of the bodhisattva's life. But to utter such a claim before the 'beloved' audience suggests more interest in being loved by them, rather than you loving them.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby theanarchist » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 am

What was the feeling, emotion that accompanied this dream?

I do not yet see anything particularly buddhist about this dream.
theanarchist

Postby mettaphysical » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 am

Thank you all for your posts! Very kind of you all.

Mr. Dangerous, thank you so much for the links: that is exactly what i was looking for.

Perhaps what i saw in the dream was a vision of the future. I truly hope so.

Metta
mettaphysical

Postby muni » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am

Jesse wrote: you could even say compassion is the practical form of emptiness.

:anjali:
muni

Postby gloriasteinem » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:46 pm

I think you are mistaken, people are not given authorities to teach by dreams. No one is given a driving licence in a dream. Thats first. On a second place but non the least there is no such thing as 'I' in Budhism and your I is rather too big.
gloriasteinem

Postby kirtu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 am

mettaphysical wrote:To love all… to banish negativity and hateful thoughts… to truly make every action an act of love… is it really possible?

Yes although this happens at different levels for different people. For most people negative habit patterns will remain entrenched until some future life although this might not be evident to others and in some cases they might not even be noticed by yourself.

Is there a program for this?

Have you read much about metta from the Pali suttas? Lovingkindness itself is not enlightenment but it's an excellent start. Have you tried reciting the Metta Sutta daily? If you like the Mahayana you can augment that with Tonglen later. If you like Vajrayana you can see if you want to make a practice of Avalokiteshvara your main practice.

May you and all beings be well, happy and peaceful.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Personal Experience