the Suffering inherent to compound things

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

the Suffering inherent to compound things

Postby TaTa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi. Let me tell you a little bit about myself.
Im valentin, from argentina(south america), 23 years old.I have been practicing dharma for about two years. The first 4 or 5 months where self taught until i decided to go a local kagyu center where the lamas are disciples of the late bokar rinpoche. Although i have never been a spiritual guy my development in dharma has been really natural and i got really hooked up when i starting seeing the results of daily practice. In this last year i managed to keep a regular practice and have been able to go on retreat 3 times. 2, 10 day retreat and finally a one month reatreat that ended last week.
This last retreat went really smooth. Without many kleshas. Without much neurosis. I came back from the retreat and on the first couple of days i began noticing that some kleshas arouse. Mostly based on some ex girlfriends stuff. Although this where subtle emotions in the first days they really shocked me, i noticed that i have fear of this kleshas, probably coz i haven had them in a while. Through reasoning and practice i have managed to let this go. They keep rising and rising so its a challenge, but a very welcome challenge XD
Here is the point that i would like to discuss. How do you manage this sufferings, this aversion towards conditioned mind that arises though to practice. Before practicing this much maybe i wouldnt evennotice this kind of things but now i see them as mental poison. My approach has been deep reasoning and see them as opportunities to practice more and more, trying to accept them, trying to apply shunyata, preatty much anything that works XD, so i dont see them as a problem but more as a sing of progress. I just want to see how practitioners tend to see this kind of things.

Any comments?

Sorry about my english =)
TaTa

Re: the Suffering inherent to compound things

Postby conebeckham » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:36 pm

First of all, nice to meet you. Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche was my teacher....so we have some small relation, at least.

When these things arise, especially after a retreat or some time when one experiences a sense of progress, this is natural, and it's actually potentially a sign of progress, yes.

My advice, based on everything I've been taught, is to merely note and accept these arisings, don't cling to them, nor push them away, nor even seek to analyze them conceptually. The moment they arise, note the arising-"How interesting!" and then let them be. They are actually self-liberated. They will keep arising for some time, perhaps, or re-arising...but each time they do, just note them and let them be. I know it's not easy, in one sense, especially if they're emotionally-charged, but this has worked for me in some similar situations, over time.

There are other "antidotes" but I'd say those depend on the advice and relation with a good Lama.

I rejoice in your ability to do a one month retreat after only a couple years of formal practice under a teacher. That's great!
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 am

:good:
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 am

Lojong teachings are helping me a lot in similar situations.

Personally sometimes I cannot simply view everything as emptiness, there are times where whatever it is is WAY to strong for my present level of understanding to liberate circumstances or make anything harmless that way, at those times relative practices have made all the difference.
"We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull" -Tom Waits
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Return to Personal Experience