Thosamling Nunnery, India - has anyone been?

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Thosamling Nunnery, India - has anyone been?

Postby mandala » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm interested in visiting Thosamling Nunnery in Sidhpur, India & wondering if anyone on the forum has been there?

They are a non-sectarian nunnery and a community for western nuns - after ordination with the Dalai Lama, if nuns don't have a monastery or dharma centre to go back to, they are often sent to Thosamling to study for a year.

I'm not a nun - yet - but lay-woman are also permitted to stay and men can go to teachings. It looks like an ideal place for retreat to me, and certainly more affordable (even including airfares) than doing retreat at my local monastery... which is a shame, really.

As it's close to Dharamsala/Mcleod Ganj - I'm guessing many of you may have traveled in the area - can you give me an idea of what times of year are best to travel there?
Are there good times to catch teachings with HH Dalai Lama or HH Karmapa or others?

*edit* - here's their website - http://www.thosamling.com/

cheers,
M
mandala

Re: Thosamling Nunnery, India - has anyone been?

Postby philji » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Looking at the website it looks really good, facilities and costs are both excellent. The area is very nice, can be a little hot in summer . Probably best time to visit would be Oct-Nov and also March-May. during the winter months, Dec-Feb, HH Karmapa is often in Bodh Gaya. 8 believe he has just arrived there this week.
philji

Postby Glyn » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 am

I have friends who have studied there and seemed to like it.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Postby Punya » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm interested in Thosamling for similar reasons but I haven't stayed there yet. As you've probably seen this blog gives a few insights about life there http://darkmoonjournal.wordpress.com.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby SatSiri » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I have been there and it is a fantastic place!
SatSiri

Postby Dakinisa » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Hello I am preparing to go to Thosamling in January 2015,
and have the same questions, it was recommended to me by two friends, but I do not know anyone who has really lived there, I am planning to stay for 7 month.
Did you go at the end and if yes how was it?
Dakinisa

Return to Personal Experience