Experiencing Kundalini Energy While Meditation Walking

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Experiencing Kundalini Energy While Meditation Walkingng

Postby Fqmorris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 am

Today I went back for a 2 hr walking session with trepidation at first, wondering if I'm playing with fire. Is my submission to these semi volitional movements a step toward being possessed by some entity? But then they are just the result of my unbiased attention to my body sensations. How could I reject them without rejecting meditation? I can't meditate at this time without their comming. It is only my fear of their foreignness to my previous experience that scares me.

And since they became movement prompting urges, they have only manifested as healing efforts for a chronic blockage in what in kundalini would be called the throat chokra. So today I let them loose and they got me almost dancing with their gentle pushes and pulls on my hips, shoulders, neck and head as I walked . All these movements shaking loose deep seated kinks. It seems my body has a mind of its own aiming to heal me, and it is doing this like a dancer who leads with mye following like its willing partner. I am no longer worried by this process. This isn't an attack. It is healing.

Thanks for your concern.
Fqmorris

Re: Experiencing Kundalini Energy While Meditation Walking

Postby Fqmorris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:08 am

Motova,
I have been doing a number of specific stretches, roller self massage, yoga, and nerve slides for my condition. They have helped some over a long period of time, and tincture of time is key to this condition, I'm told. But since my recent awareness of these energy fields in my body and especially now that they have decided to participate actively, the exercises are now being guided to a degree by those energies, and are working better. I expect you will find similar help.
Fqmorris

Postby padma norbu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:49 am

I Googled "Goenka kundalini" and found a yahoo group dedicated to those who've had unpleasant kundalini awakenings and then felt they were left "high and dry" with the problem. Sounds fairly common with Vipassana, but after reading about it a bit I'm not so sure I'm interested anymore. It started to sound like how I felt back in 1993 after I stopped using LSD and thought I might be damaged for life.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby reddust » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 am

I was well taken care of and thank goodness I didn't know what was happening to me, I might of held onto the experience. About five years into meditation is when I started researching symptoms outside of this meditations traditions. (Edit, just a note, this happened to me 20ish years ago so my memory is foggy)

I did have a BIG resentment back then. As my practice matured and I was able to practice other meditation methods and meet other people, listen to their stories I got over it. My teachers were taking care of me per their tradition and I turned out just fine. As my Dharma teacher said, I needed equanimity and it worked like a charm. You know Sunim my teacher was from the Korean Zen tradition and he said just sit and view everything that comes up with equanimity. I think the huge flare up was because of the trauma I suffered as a kid, lots of conditioning to let go of….boom!

Also the worst most awful part was my back opening up, that was serious pain like a gallbladder attack or having a baby…it was awful but only lasted 3 days, every time I sat down to meditate, the rest of the 7 days was absolute intense bliss and freakout visions. I'm sitting there watching it all thinking holy cow poop, this is crazy, how am I going to tell anyone what happened?

You know the night after the top of my head opened up I went blind, all I could see was one big red Z when my eyes were open or closed. That lasted about 2-3 hours and I thought for sure I blinded myself from sticking to my seat with that strong determination, the vision faded and I could see in the dark but I was so relieved to see and so tired, I went to sleep without a care or thought of wonder I could see in the dark. The next day I lost my voice, couldn't talk for about 4 days, my thyroid felt like it was rotating and buzzing and there was so much bliss. I couldn't talk and I couldn't tell my vipassana teachers what happened. I told Sunim when I got home, he gave me great advice and kicked my ass for getting attached..ha! The rest of my retreats till this day were pretty easy and I later told my vipassana teachers what happened. Some of their stories are even more explosive than mine. The overwhelming need to clean up my life was another story though, that's ongoing ….

The best thing that happened, my irrational fears are gone and my understanding of myself has grown so much, it was a good thing that happened. I just wasn't prepared for how freaky weird it was. Now with a stable life I can work on bodhicitta, I guess that's the next step. I get really turned off by whiners from any tradition :tongue:

I found the Vipassana Nanas which helped me understand what was happening per the meditation technique and tradition (http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/vpsnana.htm)
padma norbu wrote:I Googled "Goenka kundalini" and found a yahoo group dedicated to those who've had unpleasant kundalini awakenings and then felt they were left "high and dry" with the problem. Sounds fairly common with Vipassana, but after reading about it a bit I'm not so sure I'm interested anymore. It started to sound like how I felt back in 1993 after I stopped using LSD and thought I might be damaged for life.

Life is one big LSD trip lol…seriously, never figured out why folks wanted to alter their reality when it's already so freaky weird.
Last edited by reddust on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Re: Experiencing Kundalini Energy While Meditation Walkingng

Postby reddust » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:57 am

Fqmorris wrote:Today I went back for a 2 hr walking session with trepidation at first, wondering if I'm playing with fire. Is my submission to these semi volitional movements a step toward being possessed by some entity? But then they are just the result of my unbiased attention to my body sensations. How could I reject them without rejecting meditation? I can't meditate at this time without their comming. It is only my fear of their foreignness to my previous experience that scares me.

And since they became movement prompting urges, they have only manifested as healing efforts for a chronic blockage in what in kundalini would be called the throat chokra. So today I let them loose and they got me almost dancing with their gentle pushes and pulls on my hips, shoulders, neck and head as I walked . All these movements shaking loose deep seated kinks. It seems my body has a mind of its own aiming to heal me, and it is doing this like a dancer who leads with mye following like its willing partner. I am no longer worried by this process. This isn't an attack. It is healing.

Thanks for your concern.

That is so awesome! I'm so glad you are doing well. Be sure and check back in, you sound like such a gentle person and your healing will be gentle as well. I was taught not to move with the urges just view with bare awareness or equanimity depending on how deep I could go into meditation when the kinks started straightening out. Gosh I wish you had a teacher you could talk too. :heart:

EDIT: from what I read from how Buddhist tradition works with this you don't move with the energy you view it's coming up and passing away with equanimity. That's why you never hear about Kundalini, it's just another sensation to be viewed with equanimity.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby reddust » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 am

I have been remiss in saying the reason I went into meditation was not to fix anything, It was to become enlightened, to end suffering. I took bodhisattva vows as well, so that means I walk the path of to become a Buddha. I don't have any particular strong feelings about being a Buddha but I did take the vows and that's why I started meditation. This is just some of the stuff that happened along the way and I hope it helps others who get freaked out by the weird and strange they may meet in their mind. I don't want this to be like some kind of sensation chasing thread. More like you know these really strong sensations come up and you're gonna have some kinks worked out. Sometimes its like bling-bling, so boring I wanna die, and sometimes it's like Dante's Dark Woods…walk on :namaste:
reddust

Postby Vasana » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

In Tibetan Buddhism, Kundalini Yoga is known as Tummo.

"Kundalini yoga in the Natha Sampradaya and Vajrayana in Tibetan Buddhism both take their origin from the Mahasiddhas who were active in India from the 8th century to the 12th century. Kundalini yoga practices formed the core of the teachings of a number of these Mahasiddhas and are strongly represented in both Tibetan Buddhist practices and contemporary kundalini yoga practices. Kundalini yoga was spoken of as "Candali yoga" by these Mahasiddhas and became known as gTummo rnal 'byor in Tibet. Candali yoga was a key practice of the famous Tibetan yogin Milarepa"

Very useful to learn about from both sides. The energy it's self can wreak havoc in a person's psyche without proper understanding and guidance. To begin with ,the energy works through the sub-concious as well as the physical and subtle bodies with all of their blockages, defilements,obscurations and latent desires. It is wrathful to begin with (Kali) with a mind and movement of it's own and then as a person subdues and gains concious control of this energy, it gradually transforms into a peaceful and compassionate manifestation of Durga.

I'm using Kali and Durga here, but we can connect the dots and apply the wrathful and peaceful aspects of compassion shown in Tibetan traditions as another way of saying this.

It's essential to work with this energy from top to bottom and not just from bottom to top. (my early mistake! ) Kundalini Tantra and The Bliss of Inner Fire are great books on the subject.

Must add that it is Kind of not advisable to consciously work with the energy too much before root motivation and the 10 perfections are more fully integrated as it can take you on a roller coaster ride if not properly controlled and guided.
Vasana

Postby Motova » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 am

This thread has been very helpful. :thanks:
From my personal experience it's very easy to become attached to all this weird stuff. I feel success is found in taking a step back, getting grounded, maintaining equanimity, and letting what needs to happen happen. Which is what many of what you are suggesting.

:rolleye: :popcorn: :sage: :buddha1:
Motova

Previous

Return to Personal Experience