Feeling depressed

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Feeling depressed

Postby manas » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:56 am

flowerbudh wrote:Mmm, I think if those 100,000 hugs come from a place of true love, then they do. :)

Yes, loving-kindness, I've found, is the best immediate cure for sadness in the mind and body. We don't always have to ferret out the underlying causes for things. Sometimes, just love, pure and simple, is enough for now.

:namaste:
manas

Postby flowerbudh » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 am

Beautiful words, dear. Thank you.
:namaste:
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
flowerbudh

Postby dude » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 am

flowerbudh wrote:Mmm, I think if those 100,000 hugs come from a place of true love, then they do. :)

I agree. Wisdom without compassion is cold. Compassion without wisdom is limited in effectiveness.
dude

Postby Glyn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:31 pm

I was suicidally depressed many years ago. Despite having had all manner of Dharma spoonfed to me by some of the greatest living masters, I had on some level failed to really apply it. I had a year of so-called freedom in a Western city in the lead up to being given some special dharma things, but instead of learning from this experience I just went sort of crazy then numb. When I was really at the lowest, my root teacher phoned me up and gave me some emergency instructions which saw me through until I could go into retreat and work with the root issues.

I'm not really someone who should give advice about this, but in my experience the following works well.

Use the pain, insecurity, doubt, confusion for tonglen and lojong, really go all out on this as much as possible. Don't force yourself to sit too much as sometimes the eomtions can come up and be overwhelming. Make a lot of aspirations, work on love and compassion and give yourself time to do other things that are good for you like exercise and getting into nature. Try to do something where you work with your hands in nature like gardening maybe.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Previous

Return to Personal Experience