Feeling depressed

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Feeling depressed

Postby flowerbudh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:25 am

Perhaps it is the weather, but I'm feeling down right now. I want to get out of samsara, I truly do, and I want every other being to be free from it as well. I feel like I've lived a million years. Your words of wisdom, loved ones?
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
flowerbudh

Re: Feeling depressed

Postby plwk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:31 am

As many have told me before, This too shall pass
plwk

Postby disjointed » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:59 am

Cut out the root of suffering while you're lucid enough to do it. It won't be long before you're preoccupied with trivial objectives again.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Postby flowerbudh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:13 am

Such weird vibes in my heart today...
flowerbudh

Postby Adamantine » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 am

flowerbudh wrote:Perhaps it is the weather, but I'm feeling down right now. I want to get out of samsara, I truly do, and I want every other being to be free from it as well. I feel like I've lived a million years. Your words of wisdom, loved ones?

Well, try to expand that feeling of compassion, for the suffering of others, let your heart keep opening. See if you can cultivate the deep wish to awaken and help all these countless beings free themselves from suffering. Bodhicitta is the very essence of the path.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:16 am

Don't feel bad about feeling bad. I know it is easier said than done but simply be aware of that feeling and know that it is a guest.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby Snovid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 am

I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
Snovid

Postby philji » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Try to rest with the feeling you are going through, as are everything else they are mental creations...... Learn to be with them, see how they move and change. Rest as it is.
philji

Postby justsit » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:33 pm

:good:

Feelings come, feelings go. Just watch.

You know what to do - read your sig :smile:
justsit

Postby dimeo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:25 pm

practice meditation

There's quite a bit of contemporary scientific evidence that shows a profound positive effect from meditation for people dealing with sadness and depression.

It's not exactly a quick fix that people sometimes want or expect, like 'popping a pill'. But it's pretty darn awesome in my experience and keeps getting better as the years of experience accumulate.

Simply put, if we can't find peace and contentedness within when resting and sitting still, are we likely to find it doing more busy and complex things?

Performing long deep relaxed breaths, with good posture is important part of the process.

Often people comment that they find regular exercise to be an important part of their weekly routine for good health. Interesting to note is that there are people who practice and teach the art of walking meditation as well. Moreover, athletes will tell you that mindfulness and focus are an important part of peak performance.

"Don't feel bad about feeling bad." <---- good advice! It is what it is. And that you see it, that is mindfulness. States of feeling come and go. Think of it like clouds. Know that all these things change and don't stay the same forever... meditation on impermanence can be liberating! Know that the sky is clear spaciousness regardless of how the clouds come and go. Your true sacred nature of pure mind is like that clear spacious sky. And momentarily clouds will come and then go.

And big hugs to all who feel down and alone. :group:
Last edited by dimeo on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dimeo

Postby invisiblediamond » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:30 pm

flowerbudh wrote:Perhaps it is the weather, but I'm feeling down right now. I want to get out of samsara, I truly do, and I want every other being to be free from it as well. I feel like I've lived a million years. Your words of wisdom, loved ones?

You're too serious. Life is a dream. Samsara is a dream. Nirvana is a dream. Samsara means you think someone else is dreaming all this up and throwing on your back. Nirvana means realizing you dreamed it up. And then... ma cherie..? Is nirvana. Bc now you can make it beautiful for others instead of gloomy and depressing.
invisiblediamond

Postby philji » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Invisible diamond... Life may be a dream but it sure as he'll seems real when we are in it......as tsokyni Rinpoche often says...real but not true..... So it is not as if it is not there...that is wrong view... It is there but not as it seems.....
philji

Postby flowerbudh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:20 pm

:good:

Just for clarity, I don't take things nearly as seriously as my postings may suggest, hehe. I'm simply living with a conventional level of understanding (while also seeing the greater picture). You see, I already "knew" intuitively what all of you are suggesting... that emotional states simply are and we must let them live and then die (arise and pass), but it's always nice to hear from others.

:namaste:
flowerbudh

Postby duckfiasco » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Depression characterized a few years of my life.
One of the main things that helped, and prevents depression from putting down roots, is realizing that you did not consciously decide to start feeling bad or thinking negative things.
It's not you or yours, so where did it come from?
It really takes realizing this for yourself during practice, but the way thoughts/feelings, including depression, come from nowhere and disappear as you notice them is almost spooky.
For so long, we accepted them as ours automatically, yet here they are, like ghosts in the house of our mind.

A lot of depression's power comes from identifying with it.
Seeing it's not a "thing you made because you're just this way" can help reduce the sense of authority that depression brings, that you "have" to listen to it, that it's "so serious" and that you're so tired or sad or anything else. These are stories, habits.
You can really explore the characteristics of depression from this angle.
Where is in the body? Is it in the chest, the heart, the arms, the neck, the breath?
How would you describe its arising, its sustaining, and its ceasing? Does it come quickly and obviously, slow and subtly, does it feel "sticky" mentally, or like quicksand?
This kind of inquiry lets you release your total identification with the process, so that for just a moment, you can take a break from the cycle.

Once you have a bit of distance from it, it's really fertile ground for compassion.
You know what this depression feels like, therefore you have an idea of what beings who are suffering in this very moment are feeling as well.
In this way, you understand their plight.
Think of how many beings have known pain and loss, have grieved, but don't even know of the dharma and have no means to reduce their suffering.
What do they need most?
Acceptance, peace, compassion, loving kindness, whatever feels appropriate to you.
As you wish for relief for these beings who suffer as you do, you may find your own suffering is relieved as well.

I hope that helps some.
Depression and even suicidal thoughts are something I'm very familiar with.
Please feel free to message me if you ever need someone to talk to or share your experience with.

I also know how much brighter and more loving life is now thanks to the Three Jewels, which we both share in common.
The same relief and joy are yours :thumbsup:
Namu Amida Butsu
The Perfect Way knows no difficulties
Except that it refuses to make preferences;
Only when freed from hate and love,
It reveals itself fully and without disguise.
- Sengcan (tr. Suzuki)
duckfiasco

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:16 pm

One things for sure, you can never get out of your own head, so whatever is disturbing or hard to swallow about being you, the best course is just to work with it, and make in the path as much as you can.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby invisiblediamond » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 pm

philji wrote:Invisible diamond... Life may be a dream but it sure as he'll seems real when we are in it......as tsokyni Rinpoche often says...real but not true..... So it is not as if it is not there...that is wrong view... It is there but not as it seems.....

Seems real and real are two different things. I never said it wasn't there. I said it is a dream. Your dream.
invisiblediamond

Postby invisiblediamond » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:51 pm

flowerbudh wrote::good:

Just for clarity, I don't take things nearly as seriously as my postings may suggest, hehe. I'm simply living with a conventional level of understanding (while also seeing the greater picture). You see, I already "knew" intuitively what all of you are suggesting... that emotional states simply are and we must let them live and then die (arise and pass), but it's always nice to hear from others.

Not exactly. Emotions are projections of our inner opinions, fabrications, samskaras. Few seem to really understand the importance of the second link of paticcasamupada. You are a smart girl. Don't settle for the cheap answer. You are making it. It's *your* dream. That means if you don't like it, it is in your power to change it. At least you can see how you see is darkening your view. See into your own mind to see how you see dictates the mood for you and others and that will itself enlighten you and give you the method for improving the lives of others.
invisiblediamond

Postby dude » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:57 pm

flowerbudh wrote::good:

It's really important to talk to good friends when you're down.
You're doing everything right.
I can see wisdom in you.
dude

Postby invisiblediamond » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:58 pm

100,000 hugs doesn't make up for a moment of genuine insight.
invisiblediamond

Postby flowerbudh » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:41 am

Mmm, I think if those 100,000 hugs come from a place of true love, then they do. :)
flowerbudh

Next

Return to Personal Experience