Moving and attachment to objects

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Moving and attachment to objects

Postby emulations » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Hello all,

I'm going to be moving back to Canada from Argentina after living in this country, the country of my parents, for 7 years. I built a life here, friends, relationships, a job, etc. One of the hardest things I've found is the moving aspect. Moving from one country to another, especially since these two countries have a huge distance between them, has been stressful. I broke down crying when I saw my father and friend packing away all our books and musical scores into boxes that will remain here in Argentina at the house of an acquaintance or at some deposit. I know these objects might never make it back to Canada due to the very expensive fares of shipping.

Basically, I am having trouble letting go of my objects, even the bedsheets! I won't be going without anything back to Canada, I will be staying at my mother's house for a bit and she has space for me. But frankly, I guess I am attached to my objects and letting go of them is proving harder than I thought. I'm only take clothes, shoes, the bare essentials.

Anyone have any advice from a Buddhist perspective?
emulations

Re: Moving and attachment to objects

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 pm

I once gave away just about everything i owned, which was a lot of stuff. It was the greatest feeling in the world. like skinny dipping.

1. This is good practice for when you die.
2. If these objects brought you joy, you might think about all of the happiness they might bring to someone else.
3. Think about all of the useless clutter you will be able to accumulate in the future, and how happy that will make you.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby emulations » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Thank you PadmaVonSamba, that's a very wise way of looking at things. I know I'll be donating most of it, giving some special stuff to friends and giving home appliances to less well off family members to help them out. I guess I was mostly shocked at how attached I was to these objects, I always thought I was above that sort of stuff. Shows you how wrong our own perceptions can be!
emulations

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 pm

I think the big eye-opener for me was when a relative died and we had to deal with all of her stuff.
It seems that when a person dies, their possessions die too.
So many things that had so much meaning, a few moments later, mean nothing at all.

I think about the person who is lying on their deathbed, about to die,
and they are calm, at peace.
Someone asks, "do you need some water?"
"No thank you".
"can I get you another pillow? Is your blanket enough?"
and the person who is at peace with the world no longer needs anything.
There is no need to turn on the TV,
or to find something to do.
So, maybe they just smile a little at all the people standing around,
just being there
if such good fortune is the case.
And I think, maybe that feeling of not needing anything, at just being at peace with the world at the moment
is the way a person should try to live every day.

There is a saying,
the more stuff you own,
the more stuff owns you.
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Qing Tian » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:38 am

That was a quite beautiful post, PadmavonSmaba. :bow:
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Qing Tian

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:33 pm

You never know when you will die.
But it's good now and then
to put yourself in the frame of mind
you hope to have when you do.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby disjointed » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 am

It sounds like a fun experience. So liberating to throw away the past.

Now I'm going to look around my house for something to get rid of. lol
I've been sick for many years so I'm pretty much out of everything that isn't essential already!
I do have lots of outdated lab books though. Maybe it's time for a bonfire!

I've told my family when I die to make it like I was never here. Which isn't practical because I've had kids. Still, I want them to get rid of all my stuff, destroy all my pictures and documents. I want to disappear from the world, like I was never there, so that it's completely clear I existed like a apparition without and inherent existence.
If there is a radical inconsistency between your statements and the position you claim to hold,
you are a sock puppet.
Make as many accounts as you want; people can identify your deception with this test.
disjointed

Postby seeker242 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:42 am

emulations wrote:
Anyone have any advice from a Buddhist perspective?

Sounds like a very good practice opportunity for letting go! After all that's the whole point of Buddhist practice anyway, to let go. It's a blessing in disguise. :smile:

PadmaVonSamba wrote:3. Think about all of the useless clutter you will be able to accumulate in the future, and how happy that will make you.

:rolling: :jumping:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby Konchog1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 am

There’ll come a time when your clothes, hats, possessions, and livestock will be divided up
With nothing left in the four directions and corners,
And there’ll come a time when, in total despair, alone,
You reach the passage to the intermediate state.
— This is going to happen to you!

http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=430
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Return to Personal Experience