Mindfulness Journal

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Re: Mindfulness Journal

Postby rachmiel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Conceptual Mind

Conceptual mind takes the nonexistent and makes it existent. It takes things that have already ceased and makes them exist now. It takes that which has not yet been produced, that which will arise only in the future, and brings it into the present. As for what does arise in the present moment, as soon as it arises, it ceases. Immediately upon having arisen, it is gone. But thinking mind takes that and keeps it hanging around as if it were some kind of a thing, a hard and solid thing. That is the activity of conceptuality.

- Khenpo Rinpoche
gone gone gone
rachmiel

Postby rachmiel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Thinking is not the enemy.

If you use it in the right way and are aware that you are using it, it can be a beautiful thing. And I'm not just talking about practical thinking, navigating the world. I mean imagination, inspiration, flights of fancy, humor, mental juggling; it can all be good.

The problem arises when thought starts thinking you, misrepresents itself as raw reality, and in doing so takes over psychological control of your mind-body. At this point, you are in effect being held hostage by thought. And that rarely ends well.
gone gone gone
rachmiel

Postby MalaBeads » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm

rachmiel wrote:Thinking is not the enemy.

Did someone say it was?
MalaBeads

Postby rachmiel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Thought is sometimes vilified in "Eastern" circles. I've heard it lots of times.
gone gone gone
rachmiel

Previous

Return to Personal Experience