Visions of Tara

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Visions of Tara

Postby philji » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 am

Hi. Myself and a few friends meet monthly to study the dharma and practice together... One off two of these are very new to the dharma. We practice a meditation on Green Tara and supplication her before beginning the study, as instructed by our teacher... One of the group says that after the last group meeting she went home and saw Tara and a monk dressed in white surrounding her bed at night, this made her fearful..... I am wondering how to explain that this is probably just her imagination and not to worry.... Any suggestions???
philji

Re: Visions of Tara

Postby Ayu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Depends on what kind of person she is. Is she mentally healthy? Highly sensitive?
If she is a person with a stable and healthy character, i would suggest, she should practice this Tara-Meditation for one week, once a day, shortly. Maybe only 10 minutes every day.
Maybe then it comes out more clearly, what is the relationship between her and the Green Tara.
Tara is nothing to be frightened of.

If somebody has difficulties with any Dharma Practice, it is
a) normal in the beginning.
b) It is more helpful to modify the practice instead of running away. Try a littlebit and see what happens - IF there is enough faith.
c) Nervous, anxious, instable people shouldn't start with diety practice, i suppose.
d) To know more about Tara could be helpfull against fears. Are there any good books or stories about her in English?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Tara :reading:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby philji » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks Ayu she is a little nervous and sensitive....I asked her if this kind of thing had happened before, she said yes some years ago.....
philji

Postby Ayu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Probably it would be good to fix the weak nerves with physical excercise like Yoga, Chi Gong, Gardening, running... Or anything similar..
Some people have to come down to earth befor they can look into the skies....

My first touch with Green Tara was also a littlebit like if she showed me "I'm serious". She's my Yidam.
Ayu

Postby qwerty13 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Ayu wrote:My first touch with Green Tara was also a littlebit like if she showed me "I'm serious". She's my Yidam.

Huh? Do you mean to say that Tara exist on some level? I thought that Yidams are just (useful) products of imagination.
Or what do you mean by saying that Tara was telling you that "she is serious".

Then for the main topic: Does your friend have poor sleeping habits? Poor sleeping habits can induce sometimes very intense hypnagogic hallucinations or even sleep paralysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

I have had hallucinations during the process of falling asleep (seen grinning people running through walls towards me and starting to shake me awake). I knew them to be hallucinations right away, though.
People love emotional confusion. Just look at the film posters in front of the cinema: nothing but emotional confusion on their faces. Buddha-dharma means not putting yourself at the mercy of emotional confusion. In the world, on the other hand, a big fuss is made over nothing.

-Kodo Sawaki
qwerty13

Postby smcj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Huh? Do you mean to say that Tara exist on some level? I thought that Yidams are just (useful) products of imagination.

"On some level"? Yeah, sure. Why not?. But on some other level she is no different than your own mind. I believe both statements to be true, and not in conflict. Our usual dichotomy between subject and object does not apply here. However saying that Yidams "are just useful products of imagination" is false (IMHO).

I believe that is how Tibetan lamas see it, but I am in the minority on that point here in the West.
Last edited by smcj on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby Ayu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 pm

qwerty13 wrote:
Ayu wrote:My first touch with Green Tara was also a littlebit like if she showed me "I'm serious". She's my Yidam.

Or what do you mean by saying that Tara was telling you that "she is serious".
Then for the main topic: Does your friend have poor sleeping habits? Poor sleeping habits can induce sometimes very intense hypnagogic hallucinations or even sleep paralysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia
I have had hallucinations during the process of falling asleep (seen grinning people running through walls towards me and starting to shake me awake). I knew them to be hallucinations right away, though.

Yes, lack of good sleep might be a cause also. Good point.

When i browse through my dictionary i don't find a better word than "serious". It dosn't mean "real" in that sense, but i use it like "to be taken seriously". If you have a strong friend, you'll take him serious, don't you? :smile:
I don't mean it is a person that walkes into my room having cake and coffee with me. But it is like a powerful thought or state of mind, that is able to change situations. You know this?
And to personify this energy in my mind, helps me to get in touch with it. Even though she may be only a thought or some kind of good approach - it is very helpful.
It is said, a Yidam is a form of the dharmakaya of the Buddha. So i don't know how it functions but it is "serious". :smile:
Ayu

Postby Konchog1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:54 pm

philji wrote:Hi. Myself and a few friends meet monthly to study the dharma and practice together... One off two of these are very new to the dharma. We practice a meditation on Green Tara and supplication her before beginning the study, as instructed by our teacher... One of the group says that after the last group meeting she went home and saw Tara and a monk dressed in white surrounding her bed at night, this made her fearful..... I am wondering how to explain that this is probably just her imagination and not to worry.... Any suggestions???
1. Tara would never harm people

2. Dreams are often about things that that person did that day

Do you mean to say that Tara exist on some level? I thought that Yidams are just (useful) products of imagination.
Both. Commitment and Wisdom Beings.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby philji » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm

She insists she was awake...and not a dream..but I will check about her sleep patterns..thanks.
philji

Postby smcj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:17 pm

...this made her fearful.....

Fearful of Tara? The fear reaction is her own negative mind. There's nothing scary about Tara. Tara is the opposite of scary. She is a source of refuge and safety.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby qwerty13 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Ayu wrote:I don't mean it is a person that walkes into my room having cake and coffee with me. But it is like a powerful thought or state of mind, that is able to change situations. You know this?
And to personify this energy in my mind, helps me to get in touch with it.

Ah, okay. I think I understand what you mean. Definetly i have felt that "personified thought energy" in action.
People love emotional confusion. Just look at the film posters in front of the cinema: nothing but emotional confusion on their faces. Buddha-dharma means not putting yourself at the mercy of emotional confusion. In the world, on the other hand, a big fuss is made over nothing.

-Kodo Sawaki
qwerty13

Postby philji » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

smcj wrote:

Fearful of Tara? The fear reaction is her own negative mind. There's nothing scary about Tara. Tara is the opposite of scary. She is a source of refuge and safety.

So ok you have labeled her mind as negative.thanks...but how to describe the experience to her..and what to do next?
philji

Postby smcj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm

philji wrote:
smcj wrote:

So ok you have labeled her mind as negative.thanks...but how to describe the experience to her..and what to do next?

Actually I would recommend she read "Bodhisattva of Comapassion" by Blofeld. It isn't specifically about Tara, but of the Chinese Kwan Yin. It's a beautiful set of stories that Blofeld collected in China about Kwan Yin, from monks, peasants, aristocrats, and merchants. It gives a wonderful flavor to the deity. She won't be scared after that.
smcj

Postby philji » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm

..thanks will recommend it.
philji

Postby smcj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Come to think of it, Kwan Yin is often times depicted with two bodhisattvas as attendants, one male and one female. I don't remember if the male was supposed to be a monk though. Hmmm....
smcj

Postby Ayu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 pm

My brother and my sister-in-law are katholics. When they are here for a visit and they stay over night, they feel quite uncomfortable with my Buddha-pictures. :shrug:
Ayu

Return to Personal Experience