Cleaning Karma is cleaning your mind

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Cleaning Karma is cleaning your mind

Postby Nosta » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Cleaning Karma is cleaning your mind: This may sound obvious, and it was obvious for me intelectually, but now I understand things more clear by experiment.

Of course that me, as a very dull being, will experiment such teaching only sometimes and at very ground levels. For example, sometimes your karma-vipaka will dictate that you will have a headache, and you will suffer with that; thats your "fruit" from previous actions, thats your vipaka; but now lets imagine that you, on that moment, are "noting" (like in vipassana meditation) every sensation with mindfulness and clear mind...the headache still be there but you wont be affected by it. There is no suffering. So, its like you just cleansed the karma causing such pain.

Sometimes the opposite will happen: for example,your good karma from previous actions will give you the opportunity of getting some free time to rest in a greeny place; but in that moment you let your mind think on something bad ("my girlfriend is cheating on me!" lol, i hope not), then the greeny place is not so beautiful and you dont let yourself enjoy such a beautiful day. Why? Because of your toughts. Many times i find myself mad just because I am thinking on my job or in the economic situation of my country, etc. They are not useful toughts and when I am mindful of that, I will throw them away and get happy again.

Your reaction to what happens is the oportunity you have to "clean" (not real clean, like complete eradication) your karma. And a clear and mindful mind is the trick. A big trick by the way! I am mindful only a few times in a year! :D

Whats your toughts about what I said? Share your experiences :)
Nosta

Re: Cleaning Karma is cleaning your mind

Postby muni » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 pm

"Your reaction to what happens is the oportunity you have to "clean" "

Clinging or not.
Clinging mind or free Mind not dwelling on any 'phenomena'.
No mind/thought, throwing its fishhook into its projection.
:smile:
muni

Postby Kim O'Hara » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Nosta wrote:Cleaning Karma is cleaning your mind: This may sound obvious, and it was obvious for me intelectually, but now I understand things more clear by experiment. ...
Whats your thoughts about what I said? Share your experiences :)

:good:
Seeing it for yourself, not just as a theory, will help you to become more mindful more often ... all good!

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby seeker242 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Reminds me of this! :)

I have heard that on one occasion a certain monk was dwelling among the Kosalans in a forest thicket. Now at that time, he spent the day's abiding thinking evil, unskillful thoughts: i.e., thoughts of sensuality, thoughts of ill will, thoughts of doing harm.

Then the devata inhabiting the forest thicket, feeling sympathy for the monk, desiring his benefit, desiring to bring him to his senses, approached him and addressed him with this verse:

From inappropriate attention you're being chewed by your thoughts. Relinquishing what's inappropriate, contemplate appropriately. Keeping your mind on the Teacher, the Dhamma, the Sangha, your virtues, you will arrive at joy, rapture, pleasure without doubt. Then, saturated with joy, you will put an end to suffering & stress.

The monk, chastened by the devata, came to his senses.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby Nosta » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice story! :)
Nosta

Postby lobster » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:45 am

The cleaner my mind becomes, the stupider and emptier . . . :woohoo:

:toilet:

Keep going so there is Nothing left . . . :meditate:
. . . well that is my cleaning routine . . . :popcorn:
lobster