YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Big bang Buddhism - Dhamma Wheel

Big bang Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
greggorious

Big bang Buddhism

Postby greggorious » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:22 am

Just watched a youtube video of Ajahn Brahm doing a talk called 'Big bang Buddhism'. I'm sure some of you have probably seen it, but it's left me in tears. What a beautiful, compassionate, wise man he is.

Big Bang Buddhism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xPeLspRBHc
Last edited by bodom on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

RMSmith

Re: Big bang Buddhism

Postby RMSmith » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Do you have a link? Thanks.
-----------
Rick

David2

Postby David2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Youtube search function, 1st result:

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:56 pm

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:15 pm

One of the things I like about him is that he goes against the grain. Buddhism is so boring when we are all just clones of each other, agreeing on everything and not having our own opinions.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:53 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:41 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:58 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Mind is mind, brain is brain.

If we use human perspective to see the whole universe, we will think if you have mind, you must have brain. This is absurd.

In all formless realm, you cannot find any single brain. So, are you saying they have no mind? Are you saying their mind is defect or crazy?

How about Buddha? When he was a human, yes he has brain, but his brain has nothing to do with his mind. Nothing.

When he taught abidharma in Tushita, did he carry his brain with him?

If we use human perspective to see the world, our view is limited.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 am

Ajahn Brahm is a great storyteller.

forestmat

Postby forestmat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”