Mantra use + Special visualization in my dream.

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Mantra use + Special visualization in my dream.

Postby jonaz108 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:23 pm

My obeisances to all,
namaste,

Although I've been uttering mantras in my dreams for 8 years now,
this is the first time I use this particular mantra in a dream.
I want to share it as an inspiration to all the Sadhakas:

I woke up in my dream in an old, dark, 30's style living room,
and as I started to examine the contents of the shelves,
something caught my attention, it was a plate with the mantra
Om Mani Peme Hung, in Tibetan uchen! I'm telling you the truth.
Suddenly 2 bhutas entered the room, 1 male and 1 female, dressed in
black and very negatively charged, I got very scared, and as a reflex,
I begun to chant "Chedana! Akala! Mrityu! Prasamana! Karim!"
and their dresses became almost white(!) and the 2 became peaceful
and satisfied!
Some positive entity told me that they had committed suicide...
Then came the touching part: they embraced me and thanked me,
for having them purified (more or less) I don't remember their words...
Wow... feels good to see the results.

Namaste.
John
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
jonaz108

Re: Mantra use + Special visualization in my dream.

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:43 pm

jonaz108 wrote:"Chedana! Akala! Mrityu! Prasamana! Karim!"
Meaning?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby plwk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm

As below...
remm wrote: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=232
The five Great Hearts Mantra of the Five Family Buddhas in Sanskrit:

104: Chedana
105: Akala
106: Mrtyu
107: Prasamana
108: Karim

Chr Two Ni
E Jya La
Mi Li Jyu
Bwo Li Dan La Ye
Ning Jye Li

These five lines are the strongest in the Shurangama Mantra for dispelling black magic, voodoo, curses, mantras of externalists and heavenly demons.
plwk

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Aaaaaaahhh... the root mantras of each of the five Dhyani Buddhas! Thank you!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby jonaz108 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:39 am

gregkavarnos wrote:Aaaaaaahhh... the root mantras of each of the five Dhyani Buddhas! Thank you!

You're a good soul Greg.
:anjali:
John
Since I live in Portugal, I can only answer to posts between 9:00 and 20:00 (0º UTC).
jonaz108

Postby Will » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm

I heard about a dream once. The dreamer was being chased by some demon. The dreamer came to a stairway and started running up it, but the demon was faster & closing in on him. The dreamer sounded OM MANI PADME HUM and suddenly, coming from the top of the stairs, a brilliant ray of light poured down past the dreamer. The demon stopped and then disappeared.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Caz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 pm

I had a similar experience being assaulted by various Mara's and so on in a dream, The mantra of Vajrapani helped me to dispel them into emptiness. :buddha1:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Will » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:10 pm

plwk wrote:As below...
remm wrote: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=232

Chr Two Ni
E Jya La
Mi Li Jyu
Bwo Li Dan La Ye
Ning Jye Li

These five lines are the strongest in the Shurangama Mantra for dispelling black magic, voodoo, curses, mantras of externalists and heavenly demons.

Here is Master Hua on line 104:
Verses and Commentary by Tripitaka Master Hua
Mantra: 104. CHR TWO NI

Verse:
Stopping other evil mantras and magic, rending the demons'nets;
Casting out accidental death and melting disasters and obstacles;
Saving all from the karma of hate and suffering;
This pure light is even more lucky still!

Commentary:
The next five lines of Mantra belong to Five Great Mantra Hearts, the first of which is the Kuan
Yin As-You-Will Heart Mantra. If you recite this line, you can succeed in stopping other evil
mantras and magic, rending the demons'nets. You can counteract all the mantras and magic of
the outside ways, heavenly demons and goblins, and break through the demons' nets.
This Mantra is capable of casting out accidental death and melting disasters and obstacles.
Suppose you are someone who is supposed to die in an accident—a fire, a flood, or some other
calamity like an auto accident, plane crash, or a train or bus wreck. If you recite this line, you
won't suffer the accident. All obstacles will be dispelled.
Saving all from the karma of hate and suffering; this pure light is even more lucky still! All
karma of hatred and pain is eradicated. When you recite this mantra, there is a pure light making
things lucky and auspicious; an auspicious cloud appears.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Will » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Master Hua on the next two lines:

Mantra: 105. E JYA LA

Verse: Supreme is the great compassion of the heart-seal language. In the Western Lotus Division is a host of spirits. Add to that kindness, joy, giving, and renunciation, And its ingenious, wonderful function rivals the work of creation.

Commentary:
Line 105 is the second of the Five Great Heart Mantras, the Supreme Compassion Heart-Mantra. Supreme is the great compassion of the heart-seal language. This refers to the secret Heart-Seal Dharma. In the Western Lotus Division is a host of spirits. The West is the Lotus Division where there are many dharma protecting good spirits.
Add to that kindness, joy, giving, and renunciation, and its ingenious, wonderful function rivals the work of creation. Use the four unlimited minds, perfect them, and then if you use them just right, you can rival all creation under heaven and on earth. Those who should die, don't have to die; those who should have inauspicious things happen to them will become lucky instead. This is very wonderful. The Five Great Heart Mantras are extremely important and extremely useful. In the Shurangama Mantra they are very important.

Mantra: 106. MI LI JU
Verse: Carrying mountains, brandishing pestles, pervading empty space, The Vajras in the East subdue the demon troops. Eighty-four thousand of them constantly protect And cause the practitioner to enter the Great Center.

Commentary:
The Five Great Heart Mantras are the heart mantras of the Buddhas of the five directions. They destroy the mantras and magic of demons and those of outside ways. It doesn't matter what tricks or deviant dharmas they have, if you recite the Five Great Heart Mantras, you can break up the demons not only among people, but also the heavenly demons and those of outside ways. Recite it and they can't disturb you. All their tricks will not work. In the Shurangama Mantra, the Five Great Heart Mantras are extremely important, efficacious and inconceivable. MI LI JU means "solid vajra." It is one of the 108 Vajra Protectors in the East. This is the Vajra Division Heart Mantra. So it says, "Carrying mountains, brandishing pestles, pervading empty space, / the Vajras in the East subdue the demon troops." There are 84,000 Vajra Secret Trace Dharma Protectors in the Eastern Vajra Division. They conquer all heavenly demons and outside ways. When they subdue them, it is easy to be vigorous in one's cultivation. In cultivation you must have inner merit and outer virtue. Merit and virtue are of primary importance. Eighty-four thousand of them constantly protect. They always protect you. And cause the practitioner to enter the Great Center. They cause the cultivator to attain the Great Shurangama Samadhi and always give rise to genuine wisdom.
Will

Postby Will » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Now line 107:

Mantra: 107. Bwo Li Dan La Ye

Verse: The As-You-Will pearl is wonderful and inconceivable. In the Southern Division of Transformation Birth, it bestows
fearlessness. When the Heart Mantra is received and upheld, things reveal their
original shape. Li Mei and Wang Liang are drawn by its magnetic power.

Commentary:
The As-You-Will pearl is wonderful and inconceivable. This is the Wonderful Jewel Heart Mantra, which is like the inconceivable As-You-Will precious pearl. In the Southern Division of Transformation Birth, it bestows fearlessness. The south is the Production of Jewels Division where there are inconceivable transformations and the giving of fearlessness. With the As-You-Will pearl, one universally gives to all living beings so they obtain all the jewel treasuries.
When the Heart Mantra is received and upheld, things reveal their original shape. If you recite the Five Great Heart Mantras, no matter how fierce the goblins or demons, they must appear in their original form so that you can know them for what they are.
Li Mei and Wang Liang are drawn by its magnetic power. Whether it is a Li Mei, a Wang Liang, or any other weird creature, as soon as you recite the Mantra, it's stuck--like being stuck to a magnet. Such creatures can't undergo their transformations anymore. This Mantra is hard to meet in a hundred, thousand, ten thousand eons.

Only Sincerity Obtains a Response:

In cultivating all Dharma doors one must be sincere. It is said:
Be clear and pure in body and mind; fast, maintain morality and cleanse the body.

You should eradicate all false thinking as you cultivate Dharma doors. Then you can obtain a response with the Way, like an echo following a sound. That is called "having a response." If you aren't sincere, no matter how efficacious the Mantra is, it won't work.
So we say:
When the mind is sincere, then it's efficacious. If your mind is not sincere, it isn't magical.

What is sincerity? It means having no doubts and instead having true faith in the inconceivable power of the Mantra--faith that its power will never fail. If you can be truly sincere, then your cultivation will succeed. Sometimes people may cultivate for a long time and get no response. Then they may start to think, "Is the Buddhadharma not efficacious? What's going on? I'm not getting a response. "It's not that the Mantra is not efficacious. You are not succeeding because you are not sincere. You are merely bumbling your way through it, going through the motions. You are cheating on materials- -gold bricking--following the crowd. You have not brought forth true sincerity. So those who recite the Shurangama Mantra must be sincere and have true faith.
Will

Postby Will » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:27 pm

The last of the Five Vast Heart Mantras - line 108 - was not translated in Vajra Bodhi Sea #246 online. A little later I will post Master's comments on that last line from another source.
Will

Postby Nosta » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 pm

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis [check on google if you dont know what it is; it would take some time explaining here] and thats a good time to have hallucinations. In one of the occasions I had sleep paralysis, I had a hallucination where I was being attacked by a demon, jumping to my back. In that time I said something like "In the name of Buddha, go away!" and the demon disapeared.

Sometimes in my dreams I am attacked by demons, bad beings, etc and I say the name of Amitabha Buddha and they go away.

What does this mean? Probably nothing, probably these are just dreams created by a mind interested on Buddha and Dharma, but maybe - who knows - they are real attacks! Spooky!! :alien:
Nosta

Postby TaTa » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 am

jonaz108 wrote:My obeisances to all,
namaste,

and satisfied!

Namaste.
John

Was the dream lucid? I love reciting mantras while lucid dreaming but sometimes it happens on non lucid dreams too. I love to see how dharma slowly enter into your subconscious XD
TaTa

Postby jonaz108 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:23 am

TaTa wrote:
jonaz108 wrote:My obeisances to all,
namaste,

and satisfied!

Namaste.
John

Was the dream lucid? I love reciting mantras while lucid dreaming but sometimes it happens on non lucid dreams too. I love to see how dharma slowly enter into your subconscious XD

I was not 100% in control, so, it was more a semi-conscious astral projection.
jonaz108

Postby jonaz108 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Will wrote:The last of the Five Vast Heart Mantras - line 108 - was not translated in Vajra Bodhi Sea #246 online. A little later I will post Master's comments on that last line from another source.

My obeisances Will,

Can you tell me if the power of the mantra is the same when pronounced "Chedana" or "Chr Two Ni" ?
Is there an original pronounciation of the Shurangama mantra?

Thank you,
Namaste,
John
jonaz108

Postby Will » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:33 pm

jonaz108 wrote:
Will wrote:The last of the Five Vast Heart Mantras - line 108 - was not translated in Vajra Bodhi Sea #246 online. A little later I will post Master's comments on that last line from another source.

My obeisances Will,

Can you tell me if the power of the mantra is the same when pronounced "Chedana" or "Chr Two Ni" ?
Is there an original pronounciation of the Shurangama mantra?

Thank you,
Namaste,
John

No, if you have doubts about either version; Yes if you have no doubts about either version.

Do not be greedy about "original" or most powerful or best - just do as Master said in a post above:

What is sincerity? It means having no doubts and instead having true faith in the inconceivable power of the Mantra--faith that its power will never fail. If you can be truly sincere, then your cultivation will succeed.
Will

Postby Will » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Now the last of the Five -

Mantra: 108 NING JYE LI

Verse:
Most supreme, Performing Dharma,
the Vajra Heart,
Wheel-turning Honored One
in the Northern Accomplishment Division.
Wisdom and proper samadhi
take precepts as their root.
Wisdom and proper samadhi

Commentary:
NING means "most supreme." JYE LI means "doing of Dharma." Most supreme, Performing Dharma,
the Vajra Heart.
In this secret mantra, this is the Vajra Heart Mantra. Wheel-turning Honored One
in the Northern Accomplishment Division.
JYE LI also means "Wheel-turning Heart Mantra," and belongs to
the Northern Division of Accomplishment Buddha. Wisdom and proper samadhi
In cultivation, you gain great wisdom because you have proper samadhi.
Great wisdom and proper samadhi come from keeping the precepts. Precepts are the root source.
If you don't keep precepts, you won't have samadhi or wisdom. Precepts are the basic foundation.
Wisdom and proper samadhi take precepts as their root. You can become a Buddha with great and
perfect enlightenment, at which time the gods and humans will all pay respect to you.
Will

Postby vinodh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 pm

plwk wrote:As below...
remm wrote: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=232

Chr Two Ni
E Jya La
Mi Li Jyu
Bwo Li Dan La Ye
Ning Jye Li

This again seems to be a Chinese innovation. Similar to that of considering the words of the corrupted Nilakantha Dharana (Great Compassion Mantra) as ~86 names of Avalokitesvara.

chedana - cutting; akAla - untimely ; mRtyu - Death ; Prashamana karim - She who cause the destruction;

Assuming Chedana is not part of the previous mantra, it kinda means "She who causes the destruction of the cutting untimely death" - Probably, referring to the deity Sitatapatra.

I do respect the Chinese tradition, but I believe after the knowledge of Sanskrit was lost, people just came up ad-hoc semantic associations for the sinified Sanskrit words in Mantras and Dharanis.

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
vinodh

Postby Will » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Vinodh - with this transliteration, any change in meaning?

cchedanīm akālaṃ mṭtyu pari-trāṇa kariṃ
Will

Postby vinodh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 am

Will wrote:Vinodh - with this transliteration, any change in meaning?

cchedanīm akālaṃ mṭtyu pari-trāṇa kariṃ

pari-trana means protect/deliver.

If we split it as Cchedanim Akalam-Mrtyu(m?)" ; "Pari-trAna karim" ; She who cuts/removes/destroys untimely death; She who causes protection. [Assuming its mrtyu"m" (Accusative case)] (Its Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit.. so we can't really look for grammar anyway)

else:

Any other reading would lead to "Mrtyu-Paritrana-Karim" ; She who causes protection of death. (Which I assume is not possible)

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
vinodh

Next

Return to Personal Experience