Just getting into this, I think I messed up. +Questions

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Just getting into this, I think I messed up. +Questions

Postby Lucent » Wed May 15, 2013 7:22 am

Hello. Once again, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm still horribly confused but I -think- that I am practicing (or will be practicing???) Dzogchen. Which I know nothing about practically. :<

This part can be skipped really, it's just something I feel really bad about. I will try to separate into sections and summarize my questions at the end.

I've heard of the importance of having a teacher and I feel like I make a terrible student. I think I've stated this multiple times before, but I know pretty much nothing about any of this. I have many books, but I find myself still completely clueless. I'm the type that has to have verification on what to know and what not to know (so to speak), and my confidence is so low that learning by myself I fear I will learn something wrongly. I've only seen my teacher once in person, where he accepted me as his student and ever since then we've only talked a little through the occasional "Hello, how are you?" kind of message. I really hate to bother him by sending him petty messages, but he doesn't seem to mind. (Or does he? :shock: ) Either way, I've been wanting to get the chance to go see him, hoping he could teach me more although I've had the honor of Getse Rinpoche teaching me about taking refuge, The Three Jewels, and the 6 realms for starters.... even though it was in Tibetan and was translated, naturally XD I felt like I annoyed him greatly to be honest. My father told me to draw Guru Rinpoche and give the drawing as a gift to Getse Rinpoche, which I did. Then he asked me "You draw Thangka?" (As translated by his translator) to which I misinterpreted the question (I just realized this about 5 months afterwards HAHAHA!) and said "Oh no, this is my first time............." (also I'm EXTREMELY shy and awkward and I get nervous/panic attacks even just talking to waiters ordering a meal...... which happened when I tried to ask a question. I completely freaked out right in front of him. How pathetic....... that was not good at all, I almost started crying because I was too scared to ask a simple question. But anyway, I DID draw it off of a Thangka........ I am horrified with myself just thinking back at this. I feel like an idiot. I guess I wasn't thinking at the time since I stayed up late to finish the drawing. I'm not sure if he liked it. :( lol it was just average pencil drawing. In my father's word, "You draw this for Getse Rinpoche so when he goes back home he can say, 'This American girl drew this and gave it to me as a gift!'", yeah I don't know why I did it, if I had a photo of the drawing I'd show you guys but I don't. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't super good cause I'm not a pro or anything. I felt like I gave him some extra dead weight to carry around that he didn't exactly want.

Apparently, meeting Getse Rinpoche, and the other 2 teachers there was a pretty big deal. I had no clue (and still have no clue) what I was even doing there, I was invited but everything went by so fast people kept telling me how lucky I was, something about good karma of the past and building up a lot of merit, I understood none of it. But people kept going on about me being lucky and this and that, it made me a bit uncomfortable although it's true I've had eerily good luck my entire life so far.

But anyways...........!
The problem is that I've been so lost since we parted ways, I felt kind of empty afterwards. I had no sense of direction, I have so many books that I'm overwhelmed (17+ books to be exact my dad just bought them and sent me a bunch, I don't even have a place to put them!), it's only been a few months since I've started on this path. I know I shouldn't complain at all, I'm only 1 person and I'm very young, my teacher goes all over the world (all the time O_o ) to teach hundreds, probably thousands of people. Way more important than just one person such as me, so I try to tell myself that it's for the greater good but the truth is that I miss my teacher. I don't have anyone here to teach me or guide me, I have the internet but I'm too intimidated and don't even know where to start or what to ask. :( There are so many questions, but I'm too scared to ask, he's just so busy all the time, and I really really want my hug :cry: (Yes I asked for many, many hugs. From almost everyone, I simply thrive off of hugs, but up in the mountains people were looking at me funny for giving hugs. The strong ones! Is it a bad thing? D: I don't know. Should I stop? lol I don't mean to be disrespectful... I just need to hugs. I can't explain it.) :heart:

My teacher has only taught me "Om mani padme hum" and I am -trying- to work on it. He also gave me a mala (that's what it's called yes?), he gave it to me the day after he officially accepted me as his student and it's really pretty, if you'd like I'll even snap a picture, it has red string with white beads and 4 larger red beads, funnily enough red and white are 2 of my favorite colors!! (the only other one is black) It is my most valuable posession, not sure why but it is. Unfortunately, I was never taught how to use it, and I tried doing it myself from online instruction, I quit because I was uncomfortable doing it. I don't quite understand why he gave it to me to be honest, because he gave me no instruction on how to use it, we had a very limited time because everything was so busy and chaotic (more or less) people running back and forth, there was little time. I doubt it belongs to him, I'm not sure why he had extra malas laying around either, but I love it a lot, I don't know where to put it though!!! I refuse to wear it (although I like to) because I'm terrified it will break. If it breaks I will cry. A lot. So I just keep it in this bag that this nice lady gave me, I think it's made of silk. I keep it in another larger bag that's hung on the wall for it to be safe. But I feel bad, is it okay to carry on me? Should I leave it there? What do I even do with it at this point?

On the topic of not knowing where to put items, my father (for whatever reason) is sending me 3 statues that I view as "holy objects" because it is a representation you know? The thing is I'm living in a tiny trailer home that doesn't even belong to me, I have no place to put it but I can't refuse these objects or I'll cause some serious anger from my dad. I just got a job literally about a week ago (after working volunteer for months) and I'm not making a lot of money at all, just a little above minimum wage. Where do I put it? I don't want to put it in the bedroom because my fiance likes to walk around naked even through the entire HOUSE. It's a habit I can't break him of, plus he likes to do some uhm things that aren't appropriate and I don't want to disrespect these statues in any way, but I have no place to put them quite literally, I have a cat that jumps on shelves and she might knock them down, etc etc. What can I do?! Would a closed cabinet in the living room work? This is stressful for no reason. I was told to treat these objects including my mala with a lot of care and I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing so.

This is just a lot to take in for me, I'm 19 years old, am I too young to even be trying to get in on this?? Something else that people told me when I was up in the mountains where I converted (and where all this stuff happened basically) they kept saying things like "They had to work their entire lives just to get to where I'm at now", and how I'm lucky (again) that I'm 'the way I am' by nature, at this point I'm just like "get to where?!" But apparently whatever I'm doing, it's good. Except I have no clue what I did. I was reluctant to bring these things up, but it's bothered me every since because I didn't understand anything, I've never done anything good in my life, I was never smart (I'm still not), I haven't been to college because I don't have the money, I just got a job as an electricians assistant, only because no one else would work for that company because the pay is so bad. Which brings me to something else. Back on the mountains, the same day my teacher accepted me, some people asked him (there was about I think 40? people there) "Why did you accept her as your student, but not anyone else?" (he apparently has 2 students, me and another person) to which he replied "Because she is like a clear crystal." Naturally this just flew right over my head, it bothers me that I have no clue what he meant to be honest but I shouldn't complain. Funny thing though, afterwards the lady laughed and said "So I guess we're tainted?" To be honest it made me feel really bad........ I'm not exactly innocent you know?

Well I'll leave it there, a lot of things happened but that's basically it besides my dad's random want to send me stuff for my practice. Sorry for the rambling, I hate being confused (yet I am confused all the time)

Questions-
-My teacher is always gone and I don't have the money to go see him. Can I practice on my own just from books?
-I feel like I'm not learning much from these books. I don't think I'm ready for meditation and this is all I can do for now. There's so many to choose from, should I read them all at once in no particular order? What should I do?
-Where do I put my mala? How do I take care of it? What do I do with it?? It's lonely. :( I hold it every once in a while because I think it gets cold. Should I just leave it alone?
-At the point I'm at now, what should I do for practice?
-Am I too young for this???
-Am I ready for this?
-Where do I put these statues? Do I need to make an altar??
-Is it normal to be this confused?

Ah, random but I mentioned Tilopa to my teacher where he seemed to get excited and said "Yes, that's a good one, read it!" ..................................but uh............... I don't have that book. I fail so miserably as a student. I told him, and he said "Oh I see, that's okay", but no, I think that I should drop everything to read it now. Does that sound like a good idea? I think I might buy it as soon as my paycheck comes in. This is probably bad for me to say but the story of Tilopa and Naropa is absolutely adorable to me!!! They're both so cute, honestly, sometimes I giggle when I think about it and I feel like I'm being disrespectful which I don't mean to be, I just think almost everything is cute :/ It's a curse of mine I think. But how can you not love that story? :) Or the both of them? Sometimes I swear my teacher only accepted me because he felt sorry for me. I feel bad that he has to put up with me honestly........... My guilty conscious sometimes prevents me from even wanting to message him because he's busy and I don't say anything important, which makes it worse because then I'll feel really bad afterwards for "ignoring" my teacher which wasn't exactly my intention. I'm so indecisive......

I'm sorry guys my mind is all over the place because it's late, I'm sorry this post is really disorganized, any questions you guys can answer is great, if not, that's cool too, I'm so sorry for wasting your time. I just want some answers and have nowhere to go for them not even phone contacts. Thank you so much in advanced!
Lucent

Re: Just getting into this, I think I messed up. +Questions

Postby Konchog1 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:53 am

Well, there seems to be two issues.

1. You need to love yourself. No seriously, you're okay as you are right now. It doesn't matter what you should be doing or whatever.

and

2. You need to take it easy. Just relax about the path and take it one step at a time.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 am

Lucent wrote:I've only seen my teacher once in person, where he accepted me as his student...
I only see my teachers once or twice a year. But the teachings/practices they give me are more than enough to fill the space.
...and ever since then we've only talked a little through the occasional "Hello, how are you?" kind of message. I really hate to bother him by sending him petty messages, but he doesn't seem to mind. (Or does he? :shock: ) Either way, I've been wanting to get the chance to go see him, hoping he could teach me more...
If Getse Rinpoche is in the habit of communicating to his students by email then why don't you send him this message as an email and get answers directly from him? One recommendation: use more full stops! :smile: Make your statements short, simple and clear, because they will be translated for him, and you do not want what you are saying to be convoluted or unclear.
...although I've had the honor of Getse Rinpoche teaching me about taking refuge, The Three Jewels, and the 6 realms for starters.... even though it was in Tibetan and was translated, naturally XD I felt like I annoyed him greatly to be honest. My father told me to draw Guru Rinpoche and give the drawing as a gift to Getse Rinpoche, which I did. Then he asked me "You draw Thangka?" (As translated by his translator) to which I misinterpreted the question (I just realized this about 5 months afterwards HAHAHA!) and said "Oh no, this is my first time............." (also I'm EXTREMELY shy and awkward and I get nervous/panic attacks even just talking to waiters ordering a meal...... which happened when I tried to ask a question. I completely freaked out right in front of him. How pathetic....... that was not good at all, I almost started crying because I was too scared to ask a simple question. But anyway, I DID draw it off of a Thangka........ I am horrified with myself just thinking back at this. I feel like an idiot. I guess I wasn't thinking at the time since I stayed up late to finish the drawing. I'm not sure if he liked it. :( lol it was just average pencil drawing. In my father's word, "You draw this for Getse Rinpoche so when he goes back home he can say, 'This American girl drew this and gave it to me as a gift!'", yeah I don't know why I did it, if I had a photo of the drawing I'd show you guys but I don't. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't super good cause I'm not a pro or anything. I felt like I gave him some extra dead weight to carry around that he didn't exactly want.
I am 100% sure he appreciated your gift.
Apparently, meeting Getse Rinpoche, and the other 2 teachers there was a pretty big deal. I had no clue (and still have no clue) what I was even doing there, I was invited but everything went by so fast people kept telling me how lucky I was, something about good karma of the past and building up a lot of merit, I understood none of it. But people kept going on about me being lucky and this and that, it made me a bit uncomfortable although it's true I've had eerily good luck my entire life so far.
Did you feel it was an auspicious and positive experience? What everybody else says is pretty irrelevant!
My teacher has only taught me "Om mani padme hum" and I am -trying- to work on it.
Only gave you Om Mani...? It was my sole practice for about 5 years. Before that I just observed my breath for 10 years! Practicing the Om Mani... mantra has been the cause for countless people to achieve realisation. Count yourself fortunate! As for the books, check through the pile and se if there is one there on the practice your teacher gave you.
Unfortunately, I was never taught how to use it, and I tried doing it myself from online instruction, I quit because I was uncomfortable doing it. I don't quite understand why he gave it to me to be honest, because he gave me no instruction on how to use it, we had a very limited time because everything was so busy and chaotic (more or less) people running back and forth, there was little time.
He gave it to you to count the mantra he also gave you. He gave it to you so that you can practice. It is very simple to use. You start from the central bead with the tassle or strings hanging off it (it is called the guru bead, it represents the teacher) and very time you say a repitition of the mantra you move one bead towards the guru bead. You decide that you will do 3 or 5 or 7 or... cycles of mantra around the mala (each cycle is 108 repititions) and do them. It is that simple.
I don't know where to put it though!!! I refuse to wear it (although I like to) because I'm terrified it will break. If it breaks I will cry. A lot. So I just keep it in this bag that this nice lady gave me, I think it's made of silk. I keep it in another larger bag that's hung on the wall for it to be safe. But I feel bad, is it okay to carry on me? Should I leave it there? What do I even do with it at this point?
It is just fine to carry it. Keep it in the bag and take it out when you practice. I guarantee that at some point in time it will break. 100% guarantee. That is the nature of the world we live in. Everything breaks at some point in time. But don't worry. If the string breaks you can just replace it with another string. If you happen to lose any of the beads you can just replace them with other beads. It happens all the time. A mala is essentially a tool for counting mantra repititions. So use it to count your mantra repititions!
On the topic of not knowing where to put items, my father (for whatever reason) is sending me 3 statues that I view as "holy objects" because it is a representation you know? The thing is I'm living in a tiny trailer home that doesn't even belong to me, I have no place to put it but I can't refuse these objects or I'll cause some serious anger from my dad. I just got a job literally about a week ago (after working volunteer for months) and I'm not making a lot of money at all, just a little above minimum wage. Where do I put it? I don't want to put it in the bedroom because my fiance likes to walk around naked even through the entire HOUSE. It's a habit I can't break him of, plus he likes to do some uhm things that aren't appropriate and I don't want to disrespect these statues in any way, but I have no place to put them quite literally, I have a cat that jumps on shelves and she might knock them down, etc etc. What can I do?! Would a closed cabinet in the living room work? This is stressful for no reason. I was told to treat these objects including my mala with a lot of care and I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing so.
Set up a small table (or a box with a nice cloth thrown over it) and place you statues and mala (when you are not using it) on this. If you are worried about the nudity thing, then throw a cloth over the shrine when you are not using it. Essentially though, the Buddhas are not so uptight about appearances. The Buddha himself was a naked ascetic for many years.
This is just a lot to take in for me, I'm 19 years old, am I too young to even be trying to get in on this??
No, you are not too young.
Back on the mountains, the same day my teacher accepted me, some people asked him (there was about I think 40? people there) "Why did you accept her as your student, but not anyone else?" (he apparently has 2 students, me and another person) to which he replied "Because she is like a clear crystal." Naturally this just flew right over my head, it bothers me that I have no clue what he meant to be honest but I shouldn't complain. Funny thing though, afterwards the lady laughed and said "So I guess we're tainted?" To be honest it made me feel really bad........ I'm not exactly innocent you know?
Innocent? I believe he was talking in regards to your spiritual capacity. You do not have a head full of ideas of how things are or should be when it comes to Buddhism whereas all the others at the retreat do.
-Where do I put my mala? How do I take care of it? What do I do with it?? It's lonely. :( I hold it every once in a while because I think it gets cold. Should I just leave it alone?
You could just wear it and if it breaks... (like I said above)
-At the point I'm at now, what should I do for practice?
Your teacher gave you the Om Mani... mantra so (obviously) this is what he wants you to practice.
-Is it normal to be this confused?
Yes and no. You just have to relax. It is that simple.
Ah, random but I mentioned Tilopa to my teacher where he seemed to get excited and said "Yes, that's a good one, read it!" ..................................but uh............... I don't have that book. I fail so miserably as a student. I told him, and he said "Oh I see, that's okay", but no, I think that I should drop everything to read it now. Does that sound like a good idea? I think I might buy it as soon as my paycheck comes in. This is probably bad for me to say but the story of Tilopa and Naropa is absolutely adorable to me!!! They're both so cute, honestly, sometimes I giggle when I think about it and I feel like I'm being disrespectful which I don't mean to be, I just think almost everything is cute :/ It's a curse of mine I think. But how can you not love that story? :) Or the both of them?
It is a great story! I love it too! Full of humor and love. What better?
Sometimes I swear my teacher only accepted me because he felt sorry for me. I feel bad that he has to put up with me honestly........... My guilty conscious sometimes prevents me from even wanting to message him because he's busy and I don't say anything important, which makes it worse because then I'll feel really bad afterwards for "ignoring" my teacher which wasn't exactly my intention. I'm so indecisive......
Drop the guilt (it helps nobody) and just go with your heart. You can't go wrong.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Simon E. » Wed May 15, 2013 9:21 am

Lucent can I make a little suggestion that might seem trivial ?
There is a small thing you can do that might help start you in a different direction...
Change your avatar..

:smile:
Simon E.

Postby greentara » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am

Yes I agree Naropa and Tilopa are adorable. The teaching: don't imagine, don’t control, don't try to make anything happen, don't try to figure anything out, let go of what has passed and relax right now and rest.

This gem of a message from guru to disciple is timeless.
greentara

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 pm

That and the beating with the wooden sandal! ;)
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Lucent » Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Goodness what did I ramble about yesterday? I was half asleep, just got off work and I'm so embarrassed right now, but yay for anonymity, let me try to make some replies :?

First off, sorry if my avatar offended anyone I just thought it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen LOL I took it off if that helps. I didn't mean to make you guys uncomfortable >_<

@Gregkavarnos- GAH! You answered everything! Thank you so much! :D I feel a lot better now, I need to quit posting these dumb topics though v_v; I think my statues actually came in the mail today but the post office is closed, I have to go get them tomorrow so it gives me time to prepare for it, and I actually feel relieved to know that it's perfectly normal for malas to break :D just gotta have the things to fix it with, thank you :twothumbsup: Oh and Getse Rinpoche isn't my teacher, he just taught me the basics that one time and my dad said I had to give him a gift as thanks. Thankfully my teacher does speak English relatively well. :) As for if I felt it was an auspicious experience, I do. And I rarely know what I think :lol: I think I will go ahead and get a cabinet that can open/close and put the statues in there where it'll be safe. I don't want people messing with it because there are some grabby people in this area haha! You know, the ones that just have to touch everything and move stuff around scares me to death they'll break something >_<

@Konchog1- Thank you, you are definitely right. Guess I should google it since I don't know how. It's something I've been told to work on for years, I just don't know how to. Thank you :)

And the wooden sandal part is my favorite!!!!!! :rolling: No pain no gain, love hurts!

Kongpo Ben is also just absolutely adorable :) Well, most of these stories are--- at least I think so. :)

Uhm, I forgot to ask, putting these 3 statues in an area, do I need to get anything else or just a cloth? Does it have to be specific? My mom had told me something about getting a cloth and I wasn't sure exactly what she was asking from me. Time to google.
Lucent

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu May 16, 2013 8:08 am

Lucent wrote:First off, sorry if my avatar offended anyone I just thought it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen LOL I took it off if that helps. I didn't mean to make you guys uncomfortable >_<
Personally, I liked your avatar.
Uhm, I forgot to ask, putting these 3 statues in an area, do I need to get anything else or just a cloth? Does it have to be specific? My mom had told me something about getting a cloth and I wasn't sure exactly what she was asking from me. Time to google.
You can find altar cloths but they tend to be pricey. I just use nice scarves or pieces of material that I like the colour/look of.

As for the mala. The only thing you need to fix it is some yarn. If somebody gives me a mala and I find the string is too flimsy I restring it BEFORE it breaks and I lose half the beads. I find the best string (for beads with a large holes) is the nylon yarn builders use to mark out a building site or for plumb lines (which you can get from a hardware store) or for smaller holed beads I use the yarn fishermen use to fix their nets (which you can get from a fishermans supply store). When I use the thinner variety of yarn I will put two and sometimes three strands to string the mala (to be extra sure it won't break).
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Simon E. » Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 am

No offence at all Lucent.
It seemed to me that something less cross looking might give a different message to yourself.
No big problem. :smile:
Simon E.

Postby Namgyal » Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am

The Thangka painter question was possibly a clue. Perhaps you should draw more Buddhas. It is very peaceful and meditative. However, you should ideally try to use a traditional template/grid.
Namgyal

Postby Lucent » Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 am

@Gregkavarnos- Thank you for the excellent advice, now I'm really not all that worried about my mala breaking :) As for the cloth, I got some gold and red cloth because I had no place to put the statues which I got today, I went and looked for a box to put everything in and we went around town after work for a few hours or so with no luck. In the end, I bought this tall shelf and put the statues, cloths, malas (I got like 3 new ones now that my dad sent me) and this.... red thing? The shelf was black so I put some colorful cloth (Red, gold, and green that came with the items, which is what the statues were wrapped in) so it wouldn't be so dark and depressing. He also sent me 7 cups that I had no clue what to do with so I stupidly put them on the shelf empty D: but then I googled it and took them back off, wrapped them up, and put them on a lower shelf. Is it okay for me to use the shelf to put my books underneath the statues? They're all about Buddhism, but they've been kept in a box, and laying around because I had no place to put them. I googled about altars, and I don't really have enough stuff to make one, so I think I did it wrongly. I plan to get a shed so these things can have their own place without the chaos of this household :rolling: Also, I have no clue who the statues are. I should probably see if my mom knows.

So from what I've read, each day I put 7 cups of water on there, and then take it off (or place them upside down) at the end of the day right? Then water the plants? Sorry for all the questions, it's a bit hard where I live since I don't think there's anyone else that can give me advice, I truly do appreciate you but you know you don't have to answer my questions right? :thanks:

@Simon- Now I'm torn as to what new avatar I should get. Perhaps a kitten hmmm? :)

@Namgyal- I've never though about that before, but my father has been telling me to draw more so perhaps I really should. I never knew about the template! I'll give it a shot sometime thank you!
Lucent

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 am

See here about what to do with the bowls:
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+bowl+offerings&aq=1&oq=water+bowl+fferings&aqs=chrome.2.57j0l2j60l2j0.11623j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes, it is fine (good actually) to put the books on the shelves too. Actually the books should go on the highest part of the altar (if possible), if it is not possible then put them on the lower levels, just be careful not to spill water on them! :smile:
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Lucent » Sat May 18, 2013 2:03 am

gregkavarnos wrote:See here about what to do with the bowls:
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+bowl+offerings&aq=1&oq=water+bowl+fferings&aqs=chrome.2.57j0l2j60l2j0.11623j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes, it is fine (good actually) to put the books on the shelves too. Actually the books should go on the highest part of the altar (if possible), if it is not possible then put them on the lower levels, just be careful not to spill water on them! :smile:

Awesome, thanks! XD No wonder things didnt come up, I put "cups" intead of "bowls" in the search engine and had fewer results.

I'll go ahead and rearrange everything then, thanks again! :D
Lucent

Postby SeekerNo1000003 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 am

Your story made me laugh sometimes! (in a good way :))

I think it's okay to be confused & to even act silly sometimes. I behaved like a true idiot the first few times I went to a Dharma center seven years ago...But whatI always appreciated was that despite my awkward behavior nobody else treated me like an idiot. I think it's understood that we behave silly and awkward when we are introduced to something new.... I heard a few amusing stories of people first coming to Dharma centers (e.g., a lady who accidentally flashed monks etc. hahaha).

With time, I also gained confidence. I also realized there were things I was ready for a bit later. You will know when you're ready. Just relax and enjoy the ride! And if you make a few mistakes along the way, that's okay too. It's bound to happen, I think. I've made so many mistakes, it's amazing that I'm still in one piece! But I find the journey absolutely worth it.

Regarding your gift to Getse Rinpoche, that sounds lovely. I imagine that he appreciated your gift very much! What matters is that you give something with sincerity and love. That's the best part, & it's always appreciated!
SeekerNo1000003

Return to Personal Experience