Stuck in a limbo

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Stuck in a limbo

Postby Music » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world. But since I haven't experienced anything other-worldly, I am kind of stuck here in this world. It is like being in a prison - you may hate the prison but it's all you got because you dont yet have the freedom to leave.

WHat would you do?
Music

Re: Stuck in a limbo

Postby oushi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 am

Music wrote:I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world.

Then, what do you mean by "like" if you never experienced it? :shrug:
Say what you think about me here.
oushi

Postby Ayu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 am

It is said, what the mind is considering, there it is drawn to.

So, to regard this world as a prison is an important step. But there will be a next step: to consider freedom.

In my life right now, i find equanimity and the feeling of emptyness as means to a freedom in my heart. It is like a small hole that widens and there is a feeling of lightness, freedom, ...
Good is the meditation about "Who am I ?", "Where to find this I exactly?"
The method is to calm down by Shamata, fixed concentration on one object - an then after some training of that, when the mind becomes really calm, look at these questions.
That is "what i would do". :smile:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am

Look at the prison. Examine the nature of the prison. Look at why I hate the prison. Examine my feelings. Examine the nature of my feelings. Look at my mind (the source of the feelings). Examine the nature of my mind.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Ajahn Brahm wrote a book which I hear is very relevant to this situation. It is called Who Ordered this Truckload of Dung?. You will find details on Amazon.

:anjali:
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby Cloudrider » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Everything is a prison to some degree or extent. I don't believe any true freedom can be achieved while on Earth. It seems from my experience that the simple act of living is comparable to a mouse in maze seeking the cheese. :tongue:
For some reason I keep thinking of the movie the Matrix where Morpheus says, "It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth... That you are a slave, Neo." Even the whole red pill blue pill dichotomy reminds me of Buddhist parable about enlightenment where one before carries a bucket to fill with water and then after one carries a bucket to fill with water?!
Cloudrider

Postby undefineable » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Music wrote:I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world.

To re-iterate, do you think you've experienced anything this-worldly enough to know whether or not you like it?
Music wrote:since I haven't experienced anything other-worldly, I am kind of stuck here in this world. It is like being in a prison - you may hate the prison but it's all you got because you dont yet have the freedom to leave.

For me atleast, a state of 'prison' is a kind of inversion of shunyata, in which all meaningful possibilities are blocked off by the force of habitual tendencies or what have you. I can't see how 'being stuck in a world' (my emphasis) can really mean anything, but on the other hand, the kind of impenetrable nothingness I'm talking about is by definition a 'stuck-y' state. As far as 'freedom to leave' goes, I guess it would be more a case of the apparent solidity dissolving as the causes of such an experience cease replicating, but the tricky thing with suffering is that hating it replicates it - self-evidently. I genuinely wonder if it's better to reflect on the impermanence, uselessness, and lack of necessity of suffering, since bald acceptance as a motivation for meditative investigations such as this:
gregkavarnos wrote:Look at the prison. Examine the nature of the prison. Look at why I hate the prison. Examine my feelings. Examine the nature of my feelings. Look at my mind (the source of the feelings). Examine the nature of my mind.
always seems a tall order.

Going back to 'this world', I wonder if it's only the enlightened who are truly 'in' it, since the faculties of other beings -by definition- are clouded by their own private agenda..
"Removing the barrier between this and that is the only solution" {Chogyam Trungpa - "The Lion's Roar"}
undefineable

Postby Cloudrider » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm

There is no such thing as enlightenment - at least I haven't seen it or read it or observed it in others. All there is, for all intensive purposes, is increased or more effective coping skills.

In the famous words of Frank Zappa,

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
Cloudrider

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Music wrote:I am not exactly the worldly type - I dont like anything about this world. But since I haven't experienced anything other-worldly, I am kind of stuck here in this world. It is like being in a prison - you may hate the prison but it's all you got because you dont yet have the freedom to leave.

WHat would you do?

Find a Buddhist teacher who can teach you meditation and give you other Buddhist teachings.

If you transform your mind in a positive way, it will seem like the "outer world" becomes more positive as well.
Luke

Return to Personal Experience