A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Chocolate cake
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

This was over at Tricycle today (I have been a chocolate lover most of my life so thought I would post this):

"When you were a child you loved and craved chocolate and cake, and you thought, “When I’m old like my parents, I’ll have all the chocolate and cake I want, and then I’ll be happy.” Now you have so much chocolate and cake, but you’re bored. So you decide that since this doesn’t make you happy you’ll get a car, a house, a television, a husband or wife - then you’ll be happy. So now you have everything, but there are more problems: The car is a problem, the house is a problem, the husband or wife is a problem, the children are a problem. You realize, Oh, this is not satisfaction.

Lord Buddha is saying that you only have to know what you are, how you exist; that’s all. Just understand your mind: how it works, how attachment and desire arise, how ignorance arises, where emotions come from. It is sufficient to know the nature of all that; just that gives so much happiness and peace. Your life changes completely; everything gets turned upside down; what you interpreted as horrible becomes beautiful.

How to check the mind? Just watch how your mind perceives or interprets any object that it contacts; what feeling - comfortable or uncomfortable - arises. Then you check: When I perceive this kind of view, this feeling arises, that emotion comes, I discriminate in such a way. This is how to check the mind; that’s all. It’s very simple."

- Adapted from a talk given in April 1975. For more talks by Lama Yeshe, see www.lamayeshe.com.

Dhamma Wheel forum

Post subject: Re: Chocolate cake
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:19 pm 
Founding Member

Wonderful use of metaphors, very profound truth about dukkha.
Thank you! :namaste:

Post subject: Re: Chocolate cake
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 am 

Dear David,

I love cakes...all color....but I add a can of pumpkin/apple/pineapple/lotus seed.....so yummy, Tep/Sirikanya/my neighbors love love my cake. :heart:

Buddhaflower :heart: