Evanescent, shimmering, impermanent.

Post sayings or stories you find interesting or useful.

Postby BFS » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:16 pm

It seems to be easier to relate to persons and phenomena if they appear solid, but in fact it will become easier to relate to them when you see them as evanescent, because their evanescence is a display of their impermanence, and by seeing this you won’t be surprised by their changes, you won’t lock people into certain patterns of behavior and then, because you see them as solid, influence them to stay in those patterns. You will see potential for change, and others may experience your own presence as pleasantly open, because you aren’t superimposing fixed patterns contrary to reality onto them.
Reflection on impermanence reveals the gap between how we conceive ourselves and how we actually are.
The more we reflect on impermanence, the deeper and more forceful our compassion becomes.

Jeffrey Hopkins – Cultivating Compassion
BFS

Re: Evanescent, shimmering, impermanent.

Postby ronnewmexico » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Jeffrey Hopkins who is that man?

Quite nice a person it seems.

Can such a thing be forced or applied like cream to a wound or can such a thing appear as result of circumstance produced in only that fashion.....this thing he describes. I don't know.

Just personally, not to compare myself to such a esteemed personage as he is it seems....like liquid to me. What he describes if anything he describes I can claim in any part to see.

I look inward I see liquid I look outward I see liquid.
But maybe his reference is to some other.
Compassion it cannot be stopped, ever to my opinion. But opinion it only is.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Return to Dharma Stories