Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2433
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:50 am

King Ashoka Rock edict #12:
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds.[22] But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this -- that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions.[23] Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good.[24] One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working -- Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also.
Every time you recite Amita Buddha’s name, a ray of light shines through empty space. If you recite very sincerely, then this light fills up the universe, so that the energy of all worlds will be auspicious and harmonious.

Master Hsuan Hua

User avatar
lobster
Posts: 999
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby lobster » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:50 am

A great reminder at this time of religious capitalism and incidental religious cheer for Baby Jesus. :twothumbsup:
Personally I feel the Hindu inspiration of worshipping as much as possible is a good example to us. Celebrate Christmas. Sure why not.

At an interdenominational religious conference in Hawaii, a Japanese delegate approached a fundamentalist Baptist minister and said, "My humble superstition is Buddhism. What is yours?"
Quoted in Readers Digest

:popcorn:

JKhedrup
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby JKhedrup » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 am

Food for thought.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 7490
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby DGA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Will wrote:King Ashoka Rock edict #12:
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds.[22] But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this -- that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions.[23] Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good.[24] One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working -- Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also.


:good:
DGA's PhD dissertation, a history of "mindfulness," is available here:

https://www.academia.edu/25482900/WHAT_ ... _OF_STRESS

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2433
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:38 pm

So, what are the 'essentials of all religions' ?

Bhikkhu Pesala starts with the Dhamma's essentials:

http://my.opera.com/Pesala/blog/2009/11 ... -religions
Every time you recite Amita Buddha’s name, a ray of light shines through empty space. If you recite very sincerely, then this light fills up the universe, so that the energy of all worlds will be auspicious and harmonious.

Master Hsuan Hua

Alfredo
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 am

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby Alfredo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:41 am

1. Men are better than women.
2. Being gay is bad.
3. The leaders should wear funny hats.
4. Knees exist to be destroyed (by kneeling, sitting on our legs, tying them into pretzels, etc.)
5. It's important to believe at least one tedentious or unlikely thing.
(no longer participating on this board)

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2433
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 am

Alfredo wrote:1. Men are better than women.
2. Being gay is bad.
3. The leaders should wear funny hats.
4. Knees exist to be destroyed (by kneeling, sitting on our legs, tying them into pretzels, etc.)
5. It's important to believe at least one tedentious or unlikely thing.


To think that wits are no longer with us - my my... :focus:
Every time you recite Amita Buddha’s name, a ray of light shines through empty space. If you recite very sincerely, then this light fills up the universe, so that the energy of all worlds will be auspicious and harmonious.

Master Hsuan Hua

Karma Dondrup Tashi
Posts: 1453
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:16 pm

lobster wrote:At an interdenominational religious conference in Hawaii, a Japanese delegate approached a fundamentalist Baptist minister and said, "My humble superstition is Buddhism. What is yours?"
Quoted in Readers Digest
:popcorn:

I wonder what the delegate would have said if the Baptist minister had replied: "My humble superstition is Buddhist sanctimony".


Return to “Dharma Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests