When Daozheng and Faxian departed.

Post sayings or stories you find interesting or useful.

When Daozheng and Faxian departed.

Postby Indrajala » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm in the process of finishing reading Faxian's travel journal and came to where he departed from his last companion, the others having already turned back to China or passing away during their travel together. This might reflect similar sentiments western Buddhists have in the present day -- that leaving and permanently staying in a foreign country is perhaps the best option in the face of the reality of Buddhism in western countries where little financial and social support is in place for those who would permanently devote their lives to the dharma. Fortunately for East Asia Faxian decided to continue on with his original intention and returned home with scriptures in hand.

《高僧法顯傳》卷1:「道整既到中國。見沙門法則。眾僧威儀觸事可觀。乃追歎秦土邊地眾僧戒律殘缺。誓言自今已去至得佛願不生邊地。故遂停不歸。法顯本心欲令戒律流通漢地。於是獨還。」(CBETA, T51, no. 2085, p. 864, b29-c4)

Daozheng after having arrived in the midcountries [of India] he saw the discipline of the śramaṇa. The deportment in the sangha's conduct could be observed. He reflected and lamented the lack of precepts and vinaya in the borderland that is Qin [China]. He vowed that from now unto the attainment of Buddhahood he would not be born in a borderland. Thus, he would stay and not return. I originally had the mind to transmit the vinaya into the lands of Han and to this I alone returned.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Re: When Daozheng and Faxian departed.

Postby plwk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:32 pm

By any chance, is he the same 'Daozheng' as here?
plwk

Re: When Daozheng and Faxian departed.

Postby Indrajala » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

plwk wrote:By any chance, is he the same 'Daozheng' as here?

The time periods overlap, but no that article is talking about another individual.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Return to Dharma Stories